Buying plane tickets

FlorC

Try Justfly or Cheapoair. I've used them for years, and they usually are the cheapest way. Not sure about flying to the UK, as I've only gone from here to the US and back.Just an example, not knowing dates or destination.......https://www.justfly.com/flight/search?num_adults=1&num_children=0&num_infants=0&num_infants_lap=0&seat_class=Economy&seg0_date=2023-10-02&seg0_from=BKK&seg0_to=CDG&seg1_date=2023-11-06&seg1_from=CDG&seg1_to=BKK&type=roundtrip&search_id=bcee0dc0477a020a79958fc894e50a17

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Sounds like nonsense.

It's not! It is fact. Booking flight from Bkk to some europe city is more cheap if doing it from europe.

Also need to clear browser when book (if have watched flights whit same computer before)! Easy money save 50 to 100 euro. Same inside europe! If i book flight from Helsinki to Bkk i pay more than like German , even he/she flight route is Frankfurt-Helsinki-Bkk. . If i book flight from Germany (use vpn) and book only Helsinki to Bkk its more cheap than if doing booking from Finland.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's a good question, I hear if you use a credit card the lender can will reimburse you as they will sort it with the airline, I am waiting over a year for AirAsia to reimburse me for my flight that was cancelled.

Sent them heaps of emails after they said my refund was approved, provided them with all of my account details, have sent them emails but to no avail, so looks like a lose to me, but a BIGGER one to them as I won't use their airline until I get my money back, x's that by 4 of us that fly.

@FlorC I just checked my statements and unbeknown to me AirAsia reimbursed me the whole amount back in May, some 8 months after the flight cancellation, so got to be fair and call a spade a spade, that said, I think I should get me a credit card so as not to have to wait for such a long time in the future, as the stress is not worth it, however won't be looking at paying an annual fee is that exists.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:31 PM, FlorC said:

Tickets from Thailand are more expensive, than to Th.

Pricing that differs from where you book.

i don't think pricing differs from where u book

but sure that pricing differs from where u start: LON-BKK-LON not same price that BKK-LON-BKK

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 6:31 AM, FlorC said:

Tickets from Thailand are more expensive, than to Th.

Pricing that differs from where you book.

Does not make any difference using a VPN. I use one connected to UK and as soon as you enter departure from BKK then you will automatically be taken to an airline Thai Office and pay in baht. I know this from experience from booking with Emirates now and BA in the past.  

Edited by worrab
Extra wording
  • Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

try to avoid agencies

Absolutely. If things go wrong in any way the airline will always tell you to sort it out with the agent. And agents, after selling you the ticket, might not be keen on dealing with you any further and/or might be difficult to contact. Writing from decades of flying experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:28 PM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Why don't you want them to see your are in Thailand?

He does not. he just asked if it makes a difference, 

This question can be answered , with a Yes there is, and explain, or No there isn't. 

49 minutes ago, sirineou said:

He does not. he just asked if it makes a difference, 

This question can be answered , with a Yes there is, and explain, or No there isn't. 

A difference not only in price but also the currency they show on their website. I don't want to pay in THB.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2023 at 2:24 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Sent them heaps of emails after they said my refund was approved, provided them with all of my account details, have sent them emails but to no avail, so looks like a lose to me, but a BIGGER one to them as I won't use their airline until I get my money back, x's that by 4 of us that fly.

Go to the Dog not it’s bark write directly to the MD send it registered, complain bitterly but not offensively at the shoddiness of his staff but end it in a conciliatory manner by say that you find it unbelievable that such a fine company as the one he represents could intentionally be as bad as you have found it to be, and that the actions to date of Airasia’s customer relations department is seriously over shadowing any form of good customer relations which should be their first priority.

It will be received by his PA who will show it to him and some form of action will be taken.

Make you letter clear and concise but SHORT don’t waffle on just use as few words as possible.

Enclose in a bundle any correspondence you have had both ways including reference numbers.

Remember the MD is busy so he will breeze it and give it back to his PA to deal with.

so remember SHORT, SWEET, CLEAR, CONCISE, FIRM, but NOT OFFENSIVE. an insult will get you one back and that will be the end of it.

Good luck and if you are successful ( and I will be surprised if you are not.) PM me and you can buy me a coffee, I don’t drink alcohol.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 12:26 PM, Nick Carter icp said:

Why do you want to hide that you are in Thailand ?

Go to airlines websites and pick a flight , try to avoid agencies 

"Why do you want to hide that you are in Thailand ?"   There is one reason that is obvious if you are a UK state pensioner.

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Go to the Dog not it’s bark write directly to the MD send it registered, complain bitterly but not offensively at the shoddiness of his staff but end it in a conciliatory manner by say that you find it unbelievable that such a fine company as the one he represents could intentionally be as bad as you have found it to be, and that the actions to date of Airasia’s customer relations department is seriously over shadowing any form of good customer relations which should be their first priority.

It will be received by his PA who will show it to him and some form of action will be taken.

Make you letter clear and concise but SHORT don’t waffle on just use as few words as possible.

Enclose in a bundle any correspondence you have had both ways including reference numbers.

Remember the MD is busy so he will breeze it and give it back to his PA to deal with.

so remember SHORT, SWEET, CLEAR, CONCISE, FIRM, but NOT OFFENSIVE. an insult will get you one back and that will be the end of it.

Good luck and if you are successful ( and I will be surprised if you are not.) PM me and you can buy me a coffee, I don’t drink alcohol.

as I won't use their airline until I get my money back"   Name the airline, if it is not a Thai airline you cannot get sued for defamation.

On 9/21/2023 at 6:57 AM, Nick Carter icp said:

When you go to airlines websites , there is one price available regardless of where you are located 

That is not true. I once flew sat next to my wife, I was on return leg to UK and she was outbound from Bangkok, £200 difference in the tickets.

Tickets need to be booked from country of departure and this was particularly important during covid when some tickets carried travel insurance.

Tickets are based on USD and apart from anything else there will always be the exchange differential. I would advise against trying to circumvent the differential as if it became necessary to claim a refund there may well be problems.

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Yes it's cheaper to fly from Europe to Thailand than from Thailand to Europe but where you buy the ticket doesn't matter.

It does matter. Some airlines have area specific websites and if you try and book from Bangkok you will be redirected to the Thai website and will pay the Thai price in THB.

During covid I bought 2 return tickets, one starting from Bangkok and one starting from London so I could use the free travel insurance to get back to Thailand. Extended the return legs free of charge and used them about a year later.

I was redirected to the Thai site for one and the UK site for the other. Despite the high taxes at Heathrow the UK ticket was cheaper.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

That is not true. I once flew sat next to my wife, I was on return leg to UK and she was outbound from Bangkok, £200 difference in the tickets.

That can depend on when you bought the  tickets as tickets become more expensive the scarcer they get and closer to departure date   , also travel agents may charge fees .

On 9/21/2023 at 8:26 AM, Nick Carter icp said:

Why do you want to hide that you are in Thailand ?

Go to airlines websites and pick a flight , try to avoid agencies 

There is actually a logic to that... 

With hotels I have found some reasonable (often 20% savings) when selecting a different country.... There is no rhyme or reason to this.

i.e. Hotels in Thailand are more expensive when booking from the Middle East (on Agoda and booking.com)... so I use a VPN to Thailand or Singapore which has offered better prices for the same rooms.

With hotels, I have not noticed any difference - I usually book direct with the airline website as booking sites usually put an 'extra layer' between you and resolution if there is any issue.

So for flights: Always direct with the Airline Website and try and be a little flexible with itinerary.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:36 AM, marin said:

You still are going to start the journey to Europe in Thailand. ????

before you put laughing emoji you should now the booking airline use the currency from the country website  to make the price for ticket ....depending the country you are in (they can see that )in THB or Euro ....in your or their favorable exchange rate  

Edited by david555

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Can I fly UK -BKK on a one way ticket and arriving Visa Exempt?

Yes...   BUT... there is a strong possibility at check-in that the Airline will ask to see proof of an onward flight (this could be a cheap throw away regional ticket, or a fully refundable ticket).

The above 'fact' always draws an anecdotal comment from some blinkered muppet who will state... "I've been flying visa exempt for 20 years and have never been asked for an onward ticket"....

.... it'll be an irrelevant comment...  Even if some have a different experience, Airlines do check, thats just fact, so is it worth the risk not to have an onward ticket ?....

(another alternative is to have fast access to purchase a throwaway ticket at the last minute if checked by check-in staff - Immigration are unlikely to check, but thats not to say that could never happen).

Edited by richard_smith237

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

Yes...   BUT... there is a strong possibility the Airline will ask to see proof of onward flight at check-in (this could be a cheap throw away regional ticket, or a fully refundable ticket).

The above 'fact' always draws an anecdotal comment from some blinkered muppet who will state... "I've been flying visa exempt for 20 years and have never been asked for an onward ticket"....

.... it'll be an irrelevant comment...  Even if some have a different experience, Airlines do check, thats just fact, so is it worth the risk....

(another alternative is to have fast access to purchase a throwaway ticket at the last minute if checked by check-in staff - Immigration are unlikely to check, but thats not to say that could never happen).

Get to the check-in as soon as it opens and if you need an outward flight , just go online and book a flight . 

You would just need a computer , ATM card and bank card reader to purchase a flight ticket there and then , airports usually have free wifi internet connection 

14 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Get to the check-in as soon as it opens and if you need an outward flight , just go online and book a flight . 

You would just need a computer , ATM card and bank card reader to purchase a flight ticket there and then , airports usually have free wifi internet connection 

Exactly...  can even do it on your phone if necessary.

There are so many 'onward ticket' websites now...  something like this, a ticket can be issued in 2 mins... for $16... never used it though. 

https://onwardticket.com/form

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

• Thumbs Up 1