Thai PM sees a role for Thaksin when he gets out of jail

snoop1130

28 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

If they don't back off on the fake accounts and insanely intrusive ads the outcome will be the same.

Might be already heading that way, the reason AN is currently on the market. 

15 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And I thought that he is so sick that he has to stay in a hospital all the time.

And then he mentioned that he is an old man who only wants to play with his grandchildren.

It seems we were told lots of lies. What a surprise... 

what did you expect really, some sort of pride in government?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

This is a Thai forum last time I checked.

Yes, it is. There was a comment made berating the Thai system of governance. I merely contrasted that against one of the other 200 countries to make the point that it's no different anywhere else so why expect different.

Apologies if that was lost on you. I'll try and kick it down a notch next time. Try and keep up.

• Confused 1

Of course.  1 minute after being "released" Tony will be a shining example of a healthy, fit senior (A Miracle some will say) and will get right down to the business of leading the party through Srettha.

So, an October release date or December?  My bets are on October. 

• Thumbs Up 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

srettha-thaksin.jpg

“Let’s play it by ear.”

Yes, you heard right. In a recent interview at the UN General Assembly in New York, Thailand’s new Prime Minister, Srettha Thavisin, indicated his willingness to involve the former Prime Minister, then fugitive, now inmate, Thaksin Shinawatra in the government once he is released from prison.

The interview was with Bloomberg Television’s Haslinda Amin. “I believe he has value to add to the government and to the people of Thailand.”

The new PM says he’s determined to revitalise Thailand’s economy, which has underperformed recently compared to its SE Asian neighbours following nearly a decade of military-dominated rule.

By Peter Roche

Full story: Phuket GO 2023-09-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

"The new PM says he’s determined to revitalise Thailand’s economy, which has underperformed recently compared to its SE Asian neighbours following nearly a decade of military-dominated rule."

If that is the case, and I believe it is, that if this unelected PM is really genuine in what he said, why does he allow these soldiers to serve under him?

I suppose that's a silly question as it was probably these same soldiers who helped get him his premiership.

13 hours ago, BenStark said:

I thought criminals convicted by a Thai court could not be part of the government?

One ruled the country from 2014 up until this year. This is Thailand, you do not have to be  convicted by a Thai court to be a criminal. Soldiers, guns and tanks can see to that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ross163103 said:

Yeah, PM but in the background. What a joke! Thailand can never move forward on the world stage while doing things like this.

A third world Banana Republic with an unelected PM supposed to be in charge of a government moving forward on the world stage??????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

what did you expect really, some sort of pride in government?

In a way I hoped for a little less obvious procedure.

Like: He is sick and gets out of jail, a couple of pictures with granddad and the children, silence for a few months, and then his health gets better, and he wants to serve the nation or something like that.

In a way it would still be the same story, but not so much lying in your face.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, bignok said:

Nothing to do with money. People with a billion do things out of purpose. He wants purpose. 

17 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

What did you expect? Lying is second nature to these people.

Better than first nature like America 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nice of him to tell Bloomberg that Thailand has no problem including convicted criminals in the government. But they already knew that, by past/present experience. Spreading Thainess to the world's media. Great image to promote.

Bloomberg facts, yeah 

North America doesn’t have any problem allowing criminals to run their country, yeah

Spreading North American lies, total hypocrisy and ignorance to the world’s media, yeah

Great unjustified exceptionalism image to promote, yeah

• Confused 1

If I remember correctly there is a statute that says roughly: No person who has been convicted of a criminal act shall be deemed acceptable for any government post.

Please Buddha, let us not have that man back in direct control in any capacity.

Of course there is the matter of K. Prompao's heroin conviction in Australia but Thaksin was convicted in Thailand so there can be no exception.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

I did not like Thaksin when he was PM but he was elected by the people and he did a very good job. Just look at the countries accomplishments: GDP, foreign investment, English level and education..... 

I suggest more effort in research is required as that statement is laughable. The only good idea he had that did not make him money was not financially sound and that was the 30 baht health scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1