McCarthy says hard-right Republicans ‘want to burn whole place down’

Social Media

image.png

The House Republican speaker, Kevin McCarthy, was dealt his second humiliating defeat of the week on Thursday, when his conference again failed to approve a procedural motion as members continued to clash over government spending levels with just days left to avert a federal shutdown.

With no clear path forward in Republicans’ negotiations, the House concluded its work on Thursday without any stated plan to reconvene on Friday.

“Discussions related to [fiscal year 2024] appropriations are ongoing,” Congressman Tom Emmer, the House Republican whip, said in a statement. “Members are advised that ample notice will be given ahead of any potential votes tomorrow or this weekend.”

A proposal to take up House Republicans’ defense spending bill failed in a vote of 216 to 212, with five hard-right members joining Democrats in opposing the motion. The vote marked the second time this week that the motion had failed, after members of the House Freedom caucus first blocked the bill on Tuesday.

The defeat was interpreted as a dismal sign for House Republicans’ prospects of approving a separate stopgap spending bill before government funding runs out at the end of the month.

McCarthy had projected optimism heading into the Thursday vote, saying he and his allies had made substantial progress in their talks with the holdout Republicans on Wednesday. But five members of the House Freedom caucus – Dan Bishop of North Carolina, Andy Biggs of Arizona, Eli Crane of Arizona, Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia and Matt Rosendale of Montana – still opposed the procedural motion on Thursday.

FULL STORY

Guardian.png

Old keven better wright something up that’s agreeable to the dems to get something passed and make a deal with them to back him if the magganuts want to get rid of him that would snuff them out right quick .of course old trump would be displeased and have a major tantrum 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The extremists in the GOP are getting their directions from Trump.

He’s just posted this on his failing ‘Truth Social’ - his panicked caps included:

“IF REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP, INCLUDING THE DISASTER WE HAVE IN THE SENATE, MITCH MCCONNELL, TOGETHER WITH KEVIN M, & THE RNC (FINALLY!), DON’T TAKE ACTION NOW, WE HAVE TO THROW EVERYBODY OUT.”

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He’s just posted this on his failing ‘Truth Social’ - his panicked caps included:

“IF REPUBLICAN LEADERSHIP, INCLUDING THE DISASTER WE HAVE IN THE SENATE, MITCH MCCONNELL, TOGETHER WITH KEVIN M, & THE RNC (FINALLY!), DON’T TAKE ACTION NOW, WE HAVE TO THROW EVERYBODY OUT.”

That’s our Donnie still trying to create violence and revolution can you possibly imagine dying for a New York trust fund baby wow!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And now the traitor wants to destroy the American economy by shutting the government down if they don't defund the prosecution against him. It doesn't get any more psychotic or sociopathic than that.

Interest rates will rise because of an inevitable credit downgrade and many will lose their homes or not be able to buy new ones.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ballpoint said:

That's their entire manifesto:

Destroy the economy to make Biden look bad.

Aid and abet foreign adversaries to make Biden look bad.

Foment public disorder to make Biden look bad.

It's all they've got.  They've hitched their wagon to a lame donkey they thought they could control, but the entire caboodle is now being swept downhill at an out of control pace.  The smart ones should be preparing to jump, regroup, go back to their roots and come back stronger at a later date, but that would leave them out of power.  The sad thing is, even should Trump be jailed and the Republicans thrashed in the next election cycle, the genie they unleashed is well and truly out of the bottle, and will take a lot of blood, tears and effort to be coaxed back in there.

The genie needs to be forced back into the bottle with hate speech laws.

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The single biggest and least productive overspend in decades was Trump's gift to the rich, over 2 trillion gone to the stock market and the virgin islands.

Not sure about the Virgin Islands, but I’ve done pretty good with stocks.  Does that make me rich by your calculations?

2 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Not sure about the Virgin Islands, but I’ve done pretty good with stocks.  Does that make me rich by your calculations?

You did well because you followed the liquidity into the stock market. Try that right now since the liquidity is being withdrawn.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You did well because you followed the liquidity into the stock market. Try that right now since the liquidity is being withdrawn.

Thank you.  I still buy and sell stocks, although more selling than buying.  I like it when stocks go up.

• Like 1

Just now, Isaan sailor said:

Thank you.  I still buy and sell stocks, although more selling than buying.  I like it when stocks go up.

Yeah I got a bit burned trying to short stocks. Especially TSLA, lol. I'd rather long than short. Somehow the red ink doesn't look so bad for longs. I shelled out for some gold miners the other day and even some bitcoin. I guess we'll see another $100 wiped off the gold price now, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, ozimoron said:

Yeah I got a bit burned trying to short stocks. Especially TSLA, lol. I'd rather long than short. Somehow the red ink doesn't look so bad for longs. I shelled out for some gold miners the other day and even some bitcoin. I guess we'll see another $100 wiped off the gold price now, lol.

Not sophisticated enough to short stocks, or buy on margin.  I just try to buy low and hold forever,  with selective selling.  Good luck!

Just now, Isaan sailor said:

Not sophisticated enough to short stocks, or buy on margin.  I just try to buy low and hold forever,  with selective selling.  Good luck!

Thanks. I believe that's the key too but at my age long term isn't the solution anymore. I'm more of a swing trader now.

• Thumbs Up 1