Decent sausages

essex boys

Hi all, I’m on a search to find some decent sausages, I’ve tried a lot of western food shops, a lot of them seem to buy from the same supplier and the skins used are thick, it’s like trying to chew through plastic! Anyone got a recommendation fir decent sausages without the plastic like skins, at the moment I’ve resorted to using frozen Richmond sausages, not great tasting but the skins are thin and you haven’t got to chew through them…any help much appreciated 

I have tried a lot of sausages in Thailand but my favorite are the German nuremberg ones . Remind me a little of Cumberlands. Skin not thick and don't explode or fall apart in the pan or stews.

Available at Makro. If I can't get them I just make my own sausage patties rather than buy from Big C or Tesco.

1 hour ago, essex boys said:

Hi all, I’m on a search to find some decent sausages, I’ve tried a lot of western food shops, a lot of them seem to buy from the same supplier and the skins used are thick, it’s like trying to chew through plastic! Anyone got a recommendation fir decent sausages without the plastic like skins, at the moment I’ve resorted to using frozen Richmond sausages, not great tasting but the skins are thin and you haven’t got to chew through them…any help much appreciated 

err... what kind of sausage are you looking for ?

for Vienna / Frankfurter type, I like Foodland's  (natural sheep casings)

for Bratwurst of all types, I like TGM's (available on Lazada)

other sausage ... ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, tgw said:

err... what kind of sausage are you looking for ?

for Vienna / Frankfurter type, I like Foodland's  (natural sheep casings)

for Bratwurst of all types, I like TGM's (available on Lazada)

other sausage ... ?

TGM is quite good they have other meat products as well, Bacon, salami ham.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I am in the west now and buy the skinless ones since my teeth are not the best anymore 

the skinless ones are called Knacks, I think they were invented by Herta.
they are "cooked" (at low temperature) in artificial "moulds" which then make a knack sound when opened to get the sausage out.

not be confused with the knack sound a nice wiener or frankfurter does when its natural sheep casing breaks

the "Knackwürstchen" (with casing) originates in northern Germany

Edited by tgw

20 minutes ago, tgw said:

the skinless ones are called Knacks, I think they were invented by Herta.
they are "cooked" (at low temperature) in artificial "moulds" which then make a knack sound when opened to get the sausage out.

not be confused with the knack sound a nice wiener or frankfurter does when its natural sheep casing breaks

the "Knackwürstchen" (with casing) originates in northern Germany

One of my favourites 

Chivapchichi, also known as cevapcici or cevapi, are skinless sausages made from minced meat, usually a combination of pork, beef and lamb. They are a traditional dish in the Balkan region of southeastern Europe, especially in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia. They are grilled and served with various accompaniments, such as ajvar (a roasted capsicum and eggplant relish), sour cream, kajmak (a type of clotted cream), chopped onions, lemon wedges and flatbread.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, tgw said:

don't joke with sausages.

sausage is a serious topic.

there is an optimal fat content in sausage that results in the best texture and taste. the correct fat content (and correct type of fat) is part of the experience.

It is said in culinary circles that "fat is flavour" which food scientists will understand. I do agree and enjoy proper Cumberlands, Lincolnshires and even Sikrok Isaan sausages. My favourite Thai saussage is Sai Ouer and will travel a long way to obtain that.

On the other hand, I prefer my Asian ladies skinny and not fat ???? It has been said that "meat is sweeter closer to the bone" to which I concur whole heartedly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have been buying JMP Thai sausages at the Makro in Surin. There are 3 varieties in different colored packaging. I've tried 2 of the 3. These are in the packaged meat coolers. 

They also have a new selection made by "ARO" in the frozen packaged meat section in 2 varieties "Smoked Farmer" and "Spicey Italian". 

I stock my freezer with both brands now and either grilled or microwaved they are very good. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Denim said:

I have tried a lot of sausages in Thailand but my favorite are the German nuremberg ones . Remind me a little of Cumberlands. Skin not thick and don't explode or fall apart in the pan or stews.

Available at Makro. If I can't get them I just make my own sausage patties rather than buy from Big C or Tesco.

Plus 1 on these Nuremberg sausage, best I've found that are easily available.

I consider myself to be somewhat of a sausage and English breakfast aficionado.  The best breakfast available is cooked daily by yours truly.

After more than 14 years of research, I can attest that the best sausages available are from Manston.  Their English breakfast pork sausages are probably the best, but I only have these sage and red onion ones in the fridge at the moment.

For clarification, they don't come anywhere near the quality and flavour of the many brands of boutique style sausages available to me at home. But they are miles ahead of the tasteless plastic skinned dogfood otherwise available in Thailand supermarkets.

sausage.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

It is said in culinary circles that "fat is flavour" which food scientists will understand. I do agree and enjoy proper Cumberlands, Lincolnshires and even Sikrok Isaan sausages. My favourite Thai sausage is Sai Ouer and will travel a long way to obtain that.

On the other hand, I prefer my Asian ladies skinny and not fat ???? It has been said that "meat is sweeter closer to the bone" to which I concur whole heartedly.

When you smell meat cooking, it's not the smell of protein burning that we find delicious, it's the fat burning.

Damn it now I feel like sausages.

Merry: Tomatoes, sausages, nice crispy bacon - Hobbits

• Like 1
  • Haha 1