Decent sausages

essex boys

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's Bunters...what the duck is "Bunnings"?

The major hardware and gardening chain in Australia, they allow fundraising sausage sanger BBQ's for fundraisers  like the Lions Club, junior footy teams etc on weekends.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

I keep posting this guys website for people wanting farang foods but .................... Your loss.

https://nookiesdelights.3baht.net/docs/Nookies Price List.pdf

Just looked at it, where it says something about price increase because of the strong GBP. Almost 45.4 in July, now 43.82. What's that got to do with the price of bacon I say!

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I wondered if you might make an appearance and comment on sausage making....????

It's nice to be on a thread where experience counts without the usual " do you have a link to that?". ????????????

In my experience, Manstons and Prime are as near to a "British Banger" you are going to get, unless you make your own. 

We are on the Isaan thread so NookiesDelights or BuriramPieMan would be the best places to contact.

Making your own is not difficult but you need to chose a good time of day because of the heat. I had a sausage stuffer, to speed up the process and I bought collagen skins from Makro. I would mix the filling, leave in the fridge overnight and stuff the sausages early in the morning before the hot weather arrived. 

That was for making over 10kgs of sausage. For lesser amounts, not so much planning needed.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just looked at it, where it says something about price increase because of the strong GBP. Almost 45.4 in July, now 43.82. What's that got to do with the price of bacon I say!

Can you read? 

Items shipped from UK may have increased due to GBP AND shipping costs. I believe the bacon does not come from UK. 

Therefore, in reply to your question " What's that got to do with bacon" answer is "Nothing".

If you wish to order i think you should. If you don't, go back to sit under your bridge and have a sleep. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

You don't understand, do you?

Every six weeks there is a delivery date to that town. A meet up.

You order in advance and then meet. For the first delivery you wouldn't know the exact date. You'd need to contact Nookie first. You could be lucky and be making an order the week before he's due.

For subsequent deliveries you have the goodies you'd ordered your first time to keep you going. 

You keep a record of the next delivery date and order, up to you exactly, but I would say a couple of weeks before the delivery date.

If you are in so much of a hurry you could go to his place and pick up your order.

Or you could just eat the wonderful food in Thailand. ????

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PassportBro said:

Or you could just eat the wonderful food in Thailand. ????

Or, if, as most people encounter they want something beyond Thai food for breakfast, lunch and dinner the there are options for ordering.

I certainly don't want to be eating any cuisine day in day out and enjoy variety - when outside of major hubs, ordering on line is a solid option, if not sometimes slightly inconvenient.

Make your own.  So easy, and then you know exactly what's in them.   80% pork shoulder and 20% pork belly gives you the right lean to fat ratio. Then you can play around with flavours and textures.  Pork and leek, pork and apple, tomato, Cumberland, Lincoln, with or without mace/sage/pepper/marjoram/nutmeg/ breadcrumbs (absorbs the melted fat when cooked).  Up to you!

12 minutes ago, lungbing said:

Make your own.  So easy, and then you know exactly what's in them.   80% pork shoulder and 20% pork belly gives you the right lean to fat ratio. Then you can play around with flavours and textures.  Pork and leek, pork and apple, tomato, Cumberland, Lincoln, with or without mace/sage/pepper/marjoram/nutmeg/ breadcrumbs (absorbs the melted fat when cooked).  Up to you!

I wouldn't use breadcrumbs. The yeast in them can react with other ingredients 

I make my own rusks. Just flour and water, mix together and bake. Then grind.

10 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

I consider myself to be somewhat of a sausage and English breakfast aficionado.  The best breakfast available is cooked daily by yours truly.

After more than 14 years of research, I can attest that the best sausages available are from Manston.  Their English breakfast pork sausages are probably the best, but I only have these sage and red onion ones in the fridge at the moment.

For clarification, they don't come anywhere near the quality and flavour of the many brands of boutique style sausages available to me at home. But they are miles ahead of the tasteless plastic skinned dogfood otherwise available in Thailand supermarkets.

sausage.jpg

your post made me curious, so I tried these tonight.

long story short : I'm not a fan.

taste was average, but the texture wasn't nice. it consists of some larger pieces of meat and way too much fat.
I think TGM makes a better product.

On 9/23/2023 at 10:44 PM, essex boys said:

Hi all, I’m on a search to find some decent sausages, I’ve tried a lot of western food shops, a lot of them seem to buy from the same supplier and the skins used are thick, it’s like trying to chew through plastic! Anyone got a recommendation fir decent sausages without the plastic like skins, at the moment I’ve resorted to using frozen Richmond sausages, not great tasting but the skins are thin and you haven’t got to chew through them…any help much appreciated 

MEAT STUFF in Pattaya.  Even have a Jimmy Dean taste alike.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:22 AM, still kicking said:

One of my favourites 

Chivapchichi, also known as cevapcici or cevapi, are skinless sausages made from minced meat, usually a combination of pork, beef and lamb. They are a traditional dish in the Balkan region of southeastern Europe, especially in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro and Slovenia. They are grilled and served with various accompaniments, such as ajvar (a roasted capsicum and eggplant relish), sour cream, kajmak (a type of clotted cream), chopped onions, lemon wedges and flatbread.

I lived in the town of Maribor in Slovenia once and I agree that cevapcici are really delicious. Far better than your average sausage.

On 9/24/2023 at 2:48 AM, tweedledee2 said:

JMP Thai sausages at the Makro in Surin. There are 3 varieties in different colored packaging. I've tried 2 of the 3.

Yup!

Orange pack is garlic

Red pack is spicy

My favourite green pack is herb.

Very good and beat nearly all of the supposed "English" sausages I've tried here.

I've not tried the Aro ones yet but in the frozen section there are the longer and skinnier "herb" ones.

Not a breakfast sausage but still very tasty.

I'm also partial the sweet Thai sausage, usually sliced diagonally thin and stir fried in various dishes.

On 9/24/2023 at 1:44 AM, essex boys said:

Hi all, I’m on a search to find some decent sausages, I’ve tried a lot of western food shops, a lot of them seem to buy from the same supplier and the skins used are thick, it’s like trying to chew through plastic! Anyone got a recommendation fir decent sausages without the plastic like skins, at the moment I’ve resorted to using frozen Richmond sausages, not great tasting but the skins are thin and you haven’t got to chew through them…any help much appreciated 

If your'e in Phuket there's a truly 'sick' French butcher in Rawai. If not then why not cut the skins off and fry or BBQ without them.

There's tons of yummy ways to cook the mince and if you're kitchen handy (and no I don"t mean slamming the missus on the kitchen bench ala ("The Postman Knocks Twice' lol ????) you can add all sorts of stuff to the mince.

If the snag mix is really soft n sticky then simply roll the mix lightly in flour to fry or bake of BBQ.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Gsxrnz said:

I consider myself to be somewhat of a sausage and English breakfast aficionado.  The best breakfast available is cooked daily by yours truly.

After more than 14 years of research, I can attest that the best sausages available are from Manston.  Their English breakfast pork sausages are probably the best, but I only have these sage and red onion ones in the fridge at the moment.

For clarification, they don't come anywhere near the quality and flavour of the many brands of boutique style sausages available to me at home. But they are miles ahead of the tasteless plastic skinned dogfood otherwise available in Thailand supermarkets.

sausage.jpg

where can they be bought ?