Updating Maps in Toyota CHR

bobonzo

I own a 2018 Toyota CH-R with 'Nostra Digital Maps' for GPS. The maps are way out of date. I've asked Toyota and about updates for a while and finally was told Nostra no longer supports this option. The Nostra site wasn't very helpful.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution ?

Please don't tell me to  "just use your phone". 

Thanks

I’m in the same position as you and would like to know how to do. All I can find out is that the gps is on a small memory card which should be easily replaced. By all accounts the Toyota Cross which has many similarities with the chr has a much improved system including Apple play and the Google equivalent but any enquiries at our local Toyota dealership only gets me blank looks. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bobonzo said:

I own a 2018 Toyota CH-R with 'Nostra Digital Maps' for GPS. The maps are way out of date. I've asked Toyota and about updates for a while and finally was told Nostra no longer supports this option. The Nostra site wasn't very helpful.

Has anyone experienced this issue and found a solution ?

Please don't tell me to  "just use your phone". 

Thanks

I dont know what GPS manufacturer Toyota use but if it is Garmin you can get free maps from open street map either to load on to a SD card or to install using Base CAmp

I own a 2019 Mercedes-Benz that has GPS Mapping. Never once even turned on that feature as the maps are out of date before they even hit the road. The OP knows the best option but chooses not to use it. Many new cars now come with Android Auto or the Apple equivalent. Connected devices are constantly updated, show traffic and other road conditions. Searching for locations is easy and simply entering a restaurant, hotel or shop name shows far more info. Can even place the pin on and save and unlisted location (such as intersection or off road place) and navigate there.

Edited by soi3eddie

I hear what everyone is saying about using your own phone which I do whenever the Toyota gps cannot find what I’m looking for but I simply prefer the built in system rather than having something else clogging up my windscreen or dashboard which I assume also applies to the original poster as well. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, poppysdad said:

I hear what everyone is saying about using your own phone which I do whenever the Toyota gps cannot find what I’m looking for but I simply prefer the built in system rather than having something else clogging up my windscreen or dashboard which I assume also applies to the original poster as well. 

You mean your car infotainment system doesn’t support CarPlay or Android Auto? Else, why would using your phone clog up your windscreen?

The map on my Isuzu DMax was already slightly out of date when I bought it 14 years ago. It's a Kenwood system. A few years later I took the SD card out, stuck it in my pc and tried to get an update on the Kenwood website, but it didn't want to know. I still run it when I'm on a trip, but these days if I really need directions it's Google maps on my phone. Mounting a simple holder on the dashboard doesn't really "clog up" my windscreen.

Gweiloman, your post makes no sense to me and cannot see the point your trying to make and no my car doesn’t support Apple play but I can connect my phone to it to hear Google maps direction instructions but not an on screen map. I simply find the Toyota gps system to be very good and accurate and after 5 years is now a little out of date but like the op we cannot seemingly update it, that is my only issue, where is your difficulty in accepting that. 

As someone who has been in the business of selling secondhand vehicles (in UK) the built in naVigation systems cause us huge issues. Customer buying 3+ year old vehicles invariably want the maps updating. It can be hugely expensive and often 'dealer only' - some German brands also require OS updates and you can be looking at GBP1000 for the software/maps and several hours of labour at main dealer rates!

Anyway, for the OP - Toyota have used various units including Clarion, Pioneer, Denso - depending on model and year.

I suspect you may have a Toyota Navigator branded Clarion unit using Garmin maps.

You *might* be able to get a free update by foLowing the instructions on this Garmin OEM supplier link using Garmin Express on your PC. Its a fairly involved process and I've no idea how recent their latest maps would be:

https://aoem.garmin.com/toyota

Edited by HauptmannUK

10 hours ago, poppysdad said:

Gweiloman, your post makes no sense to me and cannot see the point your trying to make and no my car doesn’t support Apple play but I can connect my phone to it to hear Google maps direction instructions but not an on screen map. I simply find the Toyota gps system to be very good and accurate and after 5 years is now a little out of date but like the op we cannot seemingly update it, that is my only issue, where is your difficulty in accepting that. 

I didn’t realise that you had such an old and obsolete system that only BT is supported but not Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Good luck trying to get your OEM GPS map updated.