School management told to explain slapping incident

webfact

15 minutes ago, marin said:

No we did not. I find the idea abhorrent, and when my kids  were in Thai school I have confronted teachers who tried to apply this method. A big reason I put my kids in an international school for high school, and then to university in America. I did choose a British International school, and no there was no corporal punishment there for any students from kindergarten through A levels. 

I thought that getting canned was part of the British Public school  education curriculum , don't all the pupils bend over and get the slipper or Cane  on a Friday afternoon before home time ?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I go cycling with a retired Thai English teacher, 40 years teaching English, can't speak 1 word of English.

My daughter (native English speaker) was failed 1 year by her English teacher because my kid speaks English, and the teacher didn't.

Ex GF (Way back) was a TG flight attendant, fluent English. 

The TG staff had to attend 'English Classes' held by Thai Airways - the teacher was unable to string a sentence together. 

My ex got into an argument with the teacher who was teaching them incorrectly. 

... Ex gave me a call and I could hear the teacher in the background he could hardly string a phrase together, however, he insisted he was correct.

Serious loss of face - the teacher just got angrier...

I heard the class as they were forced to repeat his 'incorrect rote phrases'...

Of course, most of the class knew he was wrong, but that mattered little - he was the teacher and to be respected, any hint of question was disrespect.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IMO... the headline already highlights part of the issue... 

"School management told to explain slapping incident"

We should be reading... "School management sack teacher for slapping incident" 

exactly!!

but TIT

On 9/29/2023 at 6:33 PM, billd766 said:

The law of averages is meaningless in your response as nothing to compare it with.

I know more than 5 poor Thais. Does that make all Thais poor. According to your law of averages, the answer would be yes.

If I knew 5 rich Thais. Would that that make all Thais rich. According to your law of averages, the answer would also be yes.

Obviously both of those statements are wrong because there is nothing to compare them with.

agree.. plus no "law of averages" applies because the numbers cited are from a statistically  insignificant sized sample (5? did author study any math?) and even that miniscule group was not a randomly chosen group.... just people he knew in one geographic area.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 6:00 AM, Emdog said:

agree.. plus no "law of averages" applies because the numbers cited are from a statistically  insignificant sized sample (5? did author study any math?) and even that miniscule group was not a randomly chosen group.... just people he knew in one geographic area.

Does that mean you think the standards of English Teaching in Thailand in Government schools is high ?...

Are there any Thai Government Schools where the English Teacher has a native standard of English ?... even a high standard ?

Should we start with passable and work upwards to answer this question ?

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does that mean you think the standards of English Teaching in Thailand in Government schools is high ?...

Are there any Thai Government Schools where the English Teacher has a native standard of English ?... even a high standard ?

Should we start with passable and work upwards to answer this question ?

Reading comprehension work needed here, Richard: I was writing about the erroneous use of "law of averages".... nothing about effectiveness (or lack of) regarding time spent on English ("teaching" may be a bit too charitable). Go back and read my post.

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Reading comprehension work needed here, Richard: I was writing about the erroneous use of "law of averages".... nothing about effectiveness (or lack of) regarding time spent on English ("teaching" may be a bit too charitable). Go back and read my post.

Understood - perhaps the word ‘generalisation is better than the phrase ‘law of averages’….

There is an overlap & the point remains valid without the semantics. 

Edited by richard_smith237