Why do people on here call Thailand the land of smiles?

bignok

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

People become prostitutes because they ARE damaged, either by abuse from family or someone else, or their parents forced them into becoming one by telling them they had to contribute, and they thought they could make more money selling their bodies instead of working a legitimate job.

What rubbish.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bignok said:

You are posting 1 opinion only. Everybody is different. Your opinion is not facts.

A fact is 5 +5 = 10.

A theory on relationships might hold true 50% to 75% of the time.

Again, if you would spend more time reading, researching, relationship psychology, you would see it's not an opinion when something works for a couple. What works for one might work for another. What works for another might work for some other couple.  There are many variables in couples therapy, and a psychologist listens to what they both say, and from his experience with many other couples before who share the same problems., he can make a decision and give them advice that can work if they apply it. This isn't one opinion. People are people everywhere, and all share a lot of the same traits. There are only a few personality types. A psychologist listens to a person's background, where they came from, and does the same for the other party. Then he asks what their problems are. There is advice for those with infidelity issues, financial problems, abuse, alcoholism or drug abuse, child raising issues, and more. Everybody is different but no one does something that only they do. Whatever problems a couple faces, there is always an answer and advice that can be given. People go to therapy because they want to save their marriage. One might be more interested in saving it than the other. That makes another problem. Getting there is the first step, just like a person who is an alcoholic, or one that needs to lose weight so they ask a dietician for help. These aren't theories if they work. Going back to my first post about this, what I stated wasn't an opinion but made from research on the subject. ......................People grow apart because they never learned how to relate to someone of the opposite sex............................. That's learned in childhood, children watching how their parents get along. their first teachers..................................... People who want sex with many people are damaged. You might hear that's it just a man thing, but it's actually an immature boy's thinking. Conquering many women isn't looking at them as anything besides objects.......................... Men that think like that shouldn't hurt a good woman's heart. Stick with paid sex, the damaged going with the damaged. Lots of guys are wrong, as well as lots of women, but the world isn't a fair place, and evil often hurts the innocents. ..........................................Marriages fail for many reasons. Damaged people, greed, lack of communication, infidelity, abuse, or just plain different future plans on many things......... .................These aren't opinions but what really happens and why people act the way they do. It's learned behavior, mostly from childhood or peers. If you'd like, you can read this again one sentence at a time, and try to understand that these are facts.

2 minutes ago, ArnieP said:

What rubbish.

You are welcome to reply with other reasons you believe people become prostitutes, but these are certainly the obvious ones. Saying it's more money doesn't work. There are always jobs available and more education for a better job, than to sell yourself to desperate men who can't find a normal girl.

Just now, bignok said:

How come your marriages failed if you know everything? You blame the other side of course

If you would read what I write, here and in other post like this one, you would see that I made mistakes picking some partners that I was attracted to, and didn't take enough time to get to know them better. I've had many good relationships with women in my life where we both decided to part because our future plans didn't coincide.  I don't know everything but I have been into this for a very long time. Even experts in any field make mistakes, especially where attraction is involved. I blame both sides. My mistake was falling for women that were pretty and not dating for a longer period. Their part was they were damaged from childhood, and three isn't a lot of women that have mental issues. Millions do, and I'm one of millions that have been the victim, along with my children, of abuse, infidelity and narcissism. If you have had any relationships in your life that have gone sour, then you would understand there are reasons for it happening. Or is your current girlfriend the only one you've ever had?

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If you would read what I write, here and in other post like this one, you would see that I made mistakes picking some partners that I was attracted to, and didn't take enough time to get to know them better. I've had many good relationships with women in my life where we both decided to part because our future plans didn't coincide.  I don't know everything but I have been into this for a very long time. Even experts in any field make mistakes, especially where attraction is involved. I blame both sides. My mistake was falling for women that were pretty and not dating for a longer period. Their part was they were damaged from childhood, and three isn't a lot of women that have mental issues. Millions do, and I'm one of millions that have been the victim, along with my children, of abuse, infidelity and narcissism. If you have had any relationships in your life that have gone sour, then you would understand there are reasons for it happening. Or is your current girlfriend the only one you've ever had?

Had 5 mths to 18 years. You married a hotel worker after a few months.

I dont think relationships are that complex. Just need 3 or 4 common variables and its a chance of working. 

But it doesnt matter anyway. What will be will be.

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

Had 5 mths to 18 years. You married a hotel worker after a few months.

I dont think relationships are that complex. Just need 3 or 4 common variables and its a chance of working. 

But it doesnt matter anyway. What will be will be.

I had three marriages that lasted 7,  7 and 6 years. Like interests, future plans, chemistry and not bringing your past into the present relationship is how they work. Can't tolerate substance abuse, cheating, abuse or kidnapping my child. I never did the three bad things that tear people apart. Just made bad choices in women I've had children with, and it's them that suffer the most.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

776 lottery number

I never pick numbers by any method. Just a computer quick pick, some written down but no plan, just picked a few numbers .Here I've played a few times, but back in Texas I won Cash 5 for 11 times, for 4 out of 5, plus many times with 3 out of 5. Wasn't a real lot, highest $1000, but I was always ahead with all of my lottery buying, meaning I lost here, won here, a few dollars at a time, and it was nice to get 4 out of 5, especially if needed. Can't win if you don't play.

On 10/1/2023 at 8:48 AM, ChipButty said:

It used to be 23 years ago, my first ever night in Bangkok and the young lady was kneeling down infront of me pouring me a beer, when she asked me would I like Head sir, best I don't answer that

Ooooh - you clever ladies man, you.....! 

On 10/1/2023 at 8:38 AM, bignok said:

In 2001?

Even earlier - in the late 1990's "Land of Smiles" was being promoted everywhere (more or less). I well remember it. If you had been a long term resident, I'm sure you would have remembered. It wasn't until 2013 that the slogan "Amazing Thaiand" was introduced (ref. Google). Picture of an earlier poster:

Free Vector | Hand drawn thailand poster design

• Confused 1

On 10/2/2023 at 3:02 PM, fredwiggy said:

When you research a subject, and see that many say the same things, that people act a certain way because of the way they were raised, then you can see them as facts and not just one person's opinion. It is what it is.                                                                                      

Many of today's "facts" are next year's "non facts". Science is never "settled" except in the situation where a great deal of money depends on theories being "facts"

I'm sure that a scientist in the dark ages could "prove" that the sun revolved around the earth.

Didn't scientists think space was a void till they discovered dark matter?

The only scientific "facts" that I agree with are the ones that are obvious, like gravity causes objects to fall down to the ground, and the sun rises in the east.

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Even earlier - in the late 1990's "Land of Smiles" was being promoted everywhere (more or less). I well remember it. If you had been a long term resident, I'm sure you would have remembered. It wasn't until 2013 that the slogan "Amazing Thaiand" was introduced (ref. Google). Picture of an earlier poster:

Free Vector | Hand drawn thailand poster design

In the 90s Thailand really was the land of smiles. By 2013 the smile had long gone.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, ArnieP said:

What rubbish.

Sadly sometimes yes but many because its easy money! Why be a hotel worker where you earn 12,000 a month when a good looking "working girl" can earn many times that with far less effort. For many of these ladies ethics doesnt come into it! 

Edited by paul1804

43 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The post above yours dates it as early as 1998. Think you might have misread that Google result.

With respect, no. I checked again and it clearly states 2013. (Google)

.In November 2013, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) launched a new campaign with the slogan, 'Amazing Thailand: it begins with the people'.

However, I did find another reference to 2014:

January 17, 2014

It was at the World Travel Market in London that the Thai Tourist Office launched the new slogan: Amazing Thailand. It begins with the people.

https://scandasia.com/tourist-agency-launches-new-slogan-thailand-amazing-thailand-begins-people/

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Many of today's "facts" are next year's "non facts". Science is never "settled" except in the situation where a great deal of money depends on theories being "facts"

I'm sure that a scientist in the dark ages could "prove" that the sun revolved around the earth.

Didn't scientists think space was a void till they discovered dark matter?

The only scientific "facts" that I agree with are the ones that are obvious, like gravity causes objects to fall down to the ground, and the sun rises in the east.

A fact is a fact, period, a proven entity. When something is proven, that means there is evidence to believe it. Not a theory, a hypothesis, guess, or opinion. Known to be true.

It used to be the land of smiles Logan and culture many moons ago. You can still find some smiles, but not anything like it used to be when they really wanted us there. Now there are just too many bitter people and taxi fights, bar bouncer battles and it just doesn’t feel as freeing as it used to. Pretty sad. Now many are just screwing you over to make an extra baht and service has gone way down hill. Like I said there are exceptions and that is mostly for people who have lived here a long time and developed a respect and given respect and gratitude with the people they hang around with.