‘No turning back’: how the Ukraine war has profoundly changed the EU

Social Media

47 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Sorry, I forgot. Von Der Leyen was defence minister for Germany. She oversaw arming the Wermacht with broomsticks. Awesome!

I remember that. It was funny!

As to Von Der Leyen she's been in this job for a bit more than one year and cannot be held responsible for faulty guns bought 5 years before. Actually she was the one who had the wehrmacht audited and started to improve this situation.

Probably not the best minister but still better than the previous one.

Coming back to your initial comment, how many leaders ex Sunak or Macron had a military experience?

Edited by candide
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, candide said:

I remember that. It was funny!

As to Von Der Leyen she's been in this job for a bit more than one year and cannot be held responsible for faulty guns bought 5 years before. Actually she was the one who had the wehrmacht audited and started to improve this situation.

Probably not the best minister but still better than the previous one.

Coming back to your initial comment, how many leaders ex Sunak or Macron had a military experience?

Funny? Right.

Von Der Leyen was German defence minister for more than five years and was widely criticized by her own colleagues and others, until her Mutti intervened and she appeared in Brussels with a trail of golden stars landing softly on the blue carpet behind her.

I don't know how many "leaders" have military experience - very few these days I suppose. But this Danish EU Commissioner (for Competition??) is not showing any kind of leadership with these irresponsible remarks. It's the EU trying for more power and influence, as usual.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Funny? Right.

Von Der Leyen was German defence minister for more than five years and was widely criticized by her own colleagues and others, until her Mutti intervened and she appeared in Brussels with a trail of golden stars landing softly on the blue carpet behind her.

I don't know how many "leaders" have military experience - very few these days I suppose. But this Danish EU Commissioner (for Competition??) is not showing any kind of leadership with these irresponsible remarks. It's the EU trying for more power and influence, as usual.   

She was not appreciated, I don't deny it. However she cannot be held responsible for the funny story you mentioned. Her predecessors were.

You claim It's irresponsible for EU commissioners to make such declarations? What would be irresponsible would be to let Putin believe that he may have a chance to win because of decreasing Western support (which is exactly what the MAGA right-wing is doing in the U.S)., and thus encourage him to go on.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, RayC said:

I and many others will hope that Ukraine breaks through asap. 

Failing that, we had best hope that your confidence that the EU will stop supporting Ukraine is misplaced. At the moment, EU support is holding firm.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/eus-borrell-kyiv-says-bloc-is-preparing-long-term-security-pledges-2023-10-01/

I'm not expecting more EU governments to stop supporting Ukraine any time soon, but a year is a very long time in politics, and especially when your country is broke.

Without more than stalemate against Russia, IMO it will become politically untenable for EU countries to continue throwing money at Ukraine and hoping something happens.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

What is wrong with you?

Russia has no right to do anything to Ukraine. Only Nazis would try that.

Check out the CV of Dmytro Yarosh (Ukrainian) and one of the founding fathers of the Azov and Eidar neo-Nazi battalions that have been merged into the regular Ukrainian army with the blessings of Viktoria Nuland.

Those Ukrainian neo-Nazi/Bandera affiliated troops can be spotted with the original SS patches/tattoos of SS Galicia (Ukrainian unit) and SS Das Reich (German unit). Those 2 SS divisions did some serious genocides in the USSR (Ukraine included) during WW2.

That's what Putin today calls with de-Nazification...

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, candide said:

She was not appreciated, I don't deny it. However she cannot be held responsible for the funny story you mentioned. Her predecessors were.

You claim It's irresponsible for EU commissioners to make such declarations? What would be irresponsible would be to let Putin believe that he may have a chance to win because of decreasing Western support (which is exactly what the MAGA right-wing is doing in the U.S)., and thus encourage him to go on.

I expect Putin believes whatever he believes, regardless of what any EU commissioner says. There are better ways to express support for one side without unnecessarily riling the other. There is a slight decrease in Western support and Putin will know that without these comments from the EU, which do not help.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you kidding me? I was expecting some actual Chinese officials making an official statement, not a couple of very NOT Chinese people pontificating about it.

I am sure you are well aware of what China says over the war

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It was not a stray missile, it was a target, Putin is a bastard, and I hope his supporters on here are ready when he drops the nuke, because he is crazy enough

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12601107/Putins-missiles-kill-ten-year-old-boy-latest-blitz-day-51-died-Ukraine-wars-deadliest-strike-Vladimir-warned-Satan-2-nukes-ready-use.html

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Seppius said:

Watch this and feel proud support Putin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O9xyNXJODk

There was a military target at the Reikartz hotel some +/-100m of the house of the family.

The hotel in Kharkov (Sadovaya street nr. 4) was known to be a meeting point for the foreign/international mercenaries.

It's a wrong strategy to mix your military personnel into civil and dense populated urban places in large cities.

The house of the family wasn't directly hit by the Iskandr missile.

Ukrainian air defense system did quite some collateral damage in other places (Poland, Kiev, etc).

You always have fragments of the missiles at the impact.

What if these missiles have been supplied by EU, UK or US?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Once again, claims without sources.

I used the link above from the same poster (@ Seppius) of The Dailymail 

I also used Googlemaps+Google Earth & common sense.

Look at the impact of the damaged building of the family + size of the Iskandr missiles, I conclude (without link) that this type of missile (minimal 800 kg) would have obliterated (+50 meters) the whole (neighboring) building(s), included the 1st & 2nd level.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/PFZcigcB1og

download (1).jpg

2023-10-06_23-01-30.jpg

Edited by Thorgal
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The Chinese are a pragmatic race, so what comes out of their mouths does not mean they believe it. IMO they will say whatever they think will be of benefit to to themselves.

"The Chinese are a pragmatic race..." What century are you living in? Certainly not the current one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1