New passport

Hi guys.

I have a friend who went to Vientiane on a visa run to get a tourist visa.

They have both new and old passport and want to get the visa in the new passport.

They entered Laos using the old passport instead of coming in using the new one.

Will the Thai embassy except a new passport with no stamps or can they go to the immigration office in loas and change over passports?

Thanks for any advice.

2 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Hi guys.

I have a friend who went to Vientiane on a visa run to get a tourist visa.

They have both new and old passport and want to get the visa in the new passport.

They entered Laos using the old passport instead of coming in using the new one.

Will the Thai embassy except a new passport with no stamps or can they go to the immigration office in loas and change over passports?

Thanks for any advice.

How did he enter Laos n an OLD -passport?
When we get a new US book,the old one is cancelled
would have assume other countries were the same but guess not  

38 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

How did he enter Laos n an OLD -passport?
When we get a new US book,the old one is cancelled
would have assume other countries were the same but guess not  

Yes other countries are different.

There old passport hadn't expired yet so the were still able to use it.

They should of changed passports at immigration before leaving Thailand but they didn't know.

Now there trying to find out if they could do it at an immigration office in Vientiane .

Just poking your thread as not much helpful replies..

I personally don't have expert advice on this as I'm not familiar with old pp being used and be given a stamp.

As you are aware... Vientiane is not at friendship bridge.

What is you friend applying for .

Vientiane requires appointment.

If they are applying for tourist visa I would just attend appointment and see how it goes.

Worst case is refused and enter Thailand visa exempt.

Then in future have another crack. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If both passports are valid you can simply hand both passports to the embassy to prove your legitimate stay in Laos. Same as people sometimes using one nationality passport to enter, and another to apply for visa. 

Or like my country has a second passport options for business owners, would also be this case, entering using 1, applying on another. It is very nice to have.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

If both passports are valid you can simply hand both passports to the embassy to prove your legitimate stay in Laos. Same as people sometimes using one nationality passport to enter, and another to apply for visa. 

Or like my country has a second passport options for business owners, would also be this case, entering using 1, applying on another. It is very nice to have.

Thanks for the reply.

My thinking is that they can not use their new passport until they get their now Laos visa and entry stamps transfered to the new passport.

Here in Thailand I just pop down to the local immigration and they change over passports and put a stamp in it.

Can the same be done at a immigration office in Vientiane?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, megapix said:

@Daithi85

Do you have some info if they could apply ? I have the same problem right now.

It is the first time I have noticed this thread. I was travelling on October 1st.

The Thai embassy in Vientiane will want to place any visa in the passport that contains the Laos entry stamp.