Reentry permit at Chaengwattana Rd Bangkok immigration

Guys i have tried to navigate the official site where i make an appointment for a reentry permit, but i can't seem to find it. 

Any ideas? Or do you just turn up?

Furthermore, we would be needing a child to get the reentry permit too - will the child have to attend the immigration place also ?

If you really want to be kind, can i request to ask what documents i should bring with me - other than the form, and our passports and money !

• Like 1

Re getting re-entry permits at BKK CW, you can make an online appointment in advance OR just show up and get a queue ticket for the day....

Although... when I was last there a month or so back, there was an hours long wait at the reentry permit section for those without appointments. It was VERY busy.

Here's the link for making an online appointment, and you want to click the first selection for "Government Complex Chaeng Wattana Rd."

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

Generally, for paperwork, they want the fully completed one-page, double-sided paper TM8 reentry permit application form with your color photo pasted in the designated space on the reverse side....

And the following photocopies in portrait, B&W format, each page hand-signed by the applicant in ink underneath the image part of the photocopy:

--face page of your passport

--most recent visa or extension stamp page from your passport

--most recent entry to Thailand stamp from your passport

(they used to also want a copy of your TM6 airport departure card slip, but no longer do, AFAIK).

You have your choice of a single-entry permit for the 1,000 baht fee, or the multiple entry permit for (I believe) the 3,800 baht fee -- both of which are valid until used or until the end of your currently permitted period of stay.

I don't know what their policy is regarding reentry permits for children.

PS - You also need to make sure you have sufficient remaining validity on your passport, when you apply, to cover the entire period covered by the reentry permit.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

Guys i have tried to navigate the official site where i make an appointment for a reentry permit, but i can't seem to find it. 

Any ideas? Or do you just turn up?

Furthermore, we would be needing a child to get the reentry permit too - will the child have to attend the immigration place also ?

If you really want to be kind, can i request to ask what documents i should bring with me - other than the form, and our passports and money !

Couple of comments here..

I'm attending CW immigration for extension Wed Oct 4.

I checked for appointment.

First available is Oct 23.

Que # and wait not nice option currently.

No disrespect but clearly you seem inexperienced. 

You can obtain reentry permits at BKK. 

They provide a service for filling in TM8 and photocopy pp pages and Photo. 200baht.

An option to consider. 

What permission of stay is child have that would require reentry permit 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No disrespect but clearly you seem inexperienced. 

I have travelled the world, and even stayed in India with visas. I have never seen anything as complicated as the system Thailand has for anyone staying long term - so you are correct, i am completely out of my depth here.

Despite looking like the appointments are far away, is it still possible to go on the day ?

Edited by DonniePeverley
  • Like 1

When you are departing Thailand, at either Don Muang Airport (DMK) or Suvarnabhumi (BKK), after check-in, you first go through security, then Passport Control.  The Re-Entry Permit desk is at BKK Passport Control.  At DMK, It is in an office just past security, sharing space with the overstay office.

You do not need do get the re-entry permit in advance.  The process usually takes 15 to 30 minutes depending on how busy they are.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Re getting re-entry permits at BKK CW, you can make an online appointment in advance OR just show up and get a queue ticket for the day....

Although... when I was last there a month or so back, there was an hours long wait at the reentry permit section for those without appointments. It was VERY busy.

Here's the link for making an online appointment, and you want to click the first selection for "Government Complex Chaeng Wattana Rd."

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

Generally, for paperwork, they want the fully completed one-page, double-sided paper TM8 reentry permit application form with your color photo pasted in the designated space on the reverse side....

And the following photocopies in portrait, B&W format, each page hand-signed by the applicant in ink underneath the image part of the photocopy:

--face page of your passport

--most recent visa or extension stamp page from your passport

--most recent entry to Thailand stamp from your passport

(they used to also want a copy of your TM6 airport departure card slip, but no longer do, AFAIK).

You have your choice of a single-entry permit for the 1,000 baht fee, or the multiple entry permit for (I believe) the 3,800 baht fee -- both of which are valid until used or until the end of your currently permitted period of stay.

I don't know what their policy is regarding reentry permits for children.

PS - You also need to make sure you have sufficient remaining validity on your passport, when you apply, to cover the entire period covered by the reentry permit.

Whenever i click on the links for the site to make an appointment, it tells me to login into outlook, and doesn't advance me any further ! WTF ?!

24 minutes ago, JoeyMac said:

Whenever i click on the links for the site to make an appointment, it tells me to login into outlook, and doesn't advance me any further ! WTF ?!

I posted link above.

I just hit it now and this comes up.

I'm just on a cell

Screenshot_20231002-215820.jpg

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, dddave said:

When you are departing Thailand, at either Don Muang Airport (DMK) or Suvarnabhumi (BKK), after check-in, you first go through security, then Passport Control.  The Re-Entry Permit desk is at BKK Passport Control.  At DMK, It is in an office just past security, sharing space with the overstay office.

You do not need do get the re-entry permit in advance.  The process usually takes 15 to 30 minutes depending on how busy they are.

I've seen good comments about that lately, particularly with other members here posting to assure that those re-entry permit desks at the two airports are staffed even in the very early morning or late night hours when flights are sometimes departing... because clearly you don't want to get caught out without a valid reentry permit.

As I had posted here previously, when I was out to BKK CW back in August, I didn't have an appointment for the reentry permit section, just a queue ticket obtained that morning. And my wait from start to finish was close to FIVE hours that day (including the lunch break hour), 99% of it spent just sitting and waiting on them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks for updating the weblink I had provided above... I hadn't realized they'd changed the Immigration appointments website address yet again....  ????

I don't understand Thailand.

The previous appointment site was working like a jem

Then change it.

I like the saying ..."if ain't broke don't try fix it" 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DonniePeverley said:

I have travelled the world, and even stayed in India with visas. I have never seen anything as complicated as the system Thailand has for anyone staying long term - so you are correct, i am completely out of my depth here.

Despite looking like the appointments are far away, is it still possible to go on the day ?

If you can, next time chose another more friendly Asian nation like Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines or even India's southern beach areas. Far less immigration hassles and foreigners are better treated.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've seen good comments about that lately, particularly with other members here posting to assure that those re-entry permit desks at the two airports are staffed even in the very early morning or late night hours when flights are sometimes departing... because clearly you don't want to get caught out without a valid reentry permit.

As I had posted here previously, when I was out to BKK CW back in August, I didn't have an appointment for the reentry permit section, just a queue ticket obtained that morning. And my wait from start to finish was close to FIVE hours that day (including the lunch break hour), 99% of it spent just sitting and waiting on them.

When we went for the O visa - my partner said there was shopping downstairs and food places -  and she had a good time. Although she did have an agent with her. 

4 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

When we went for the O visa - my partner said there was shopping downstairs and food places -  and she had a good time. Although she did have an agent with her. 

BKK CW does have that...and there are cafe / restaurant and shopping places in the building there to spend one, two...four...five hours... if so inclined.... ????

For me, I try to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, and go there only when absolutely necessary.  ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

BKK CW does have that...and there are cafe / restaurant and shopping places in the building there to spend one, two...four...five hours... if so inclined.... ????

For me, I try to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, and go there only when absolutely necessary.  ????

Do you get a number and wait ? Or do you get called back for a certain time?

I ask because maybe our last experience had the agent doing the 'waiting' whilst my partner went shopping, lol 

8 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I ask because maybe our last experience had the agent doing the 'waiting' whilst my partner went shopping, lol 

For the re-entry permit, assuming you don't have an appointment, you first stop at the large queue counter inside the main Immigration office, just past the smaller customer service counter closer to the front entrance.

You go to the far right end of the queue tickets counter, to ask for and get the reentry permit queue ticket which will have a number on it... Then go further onward to the C2 (I believe) section that is the Reentry Permit section area, and see on the digital display boards what number they're currently calling and how far down you are...

It's a two step process... When your number is called the first time, you go to the officer and submit your paperwork. They quickly check it, and if everything is OK, you pay them the fee... Then they tell you to go and wait... 

And then after that.... you may have another long wait before they call your queue number again to come back to an adjoining cubicle in the same section to pick up your passport with the newly stamped reentry permit inside.

In my case in August, I waited from about 10 am until after 1 pm just to be able to submit my paperwork. And then another two hours after that before I was called to come and pick up my stamped passport.

PS -- Immigration closes their office and has everyone leave to go outside between noon and 1 pm.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For the re-entry permit, assuming you don't have an appointment, you first stop at the large queue counter inside the main Immigration office, just past the smaller customer service counter closer to the front entrance.

You go to the far right end of the queue tickets counter, to ask for and get the reentry permit queue ticket which will have a number on it... Then go further onward to the C2 (I believe) section that is the Reentry Permit section area, and see on the digital display boards what number they're currently calling and how far down you are...

It's a two step process... When your number is called the first time, you go to the officer and submit your paperwork. They quickly check it, and if everything is OK, you pay them the fee... Then they tell you to go and wait... 

And then after that.... you may have another long wait before they call your queue number again to come back to an adjoining cubicle in the same section to pick up your passport with the newly stamped reentry permit inside.

In my case in August, I waited from about 10 am until after 1 pm just to be able to submit my paperwork. And then another two hours after that before I was called to come and pick up my stamped passport.

PS -- Immigration closes their office and has everyone leave to go outside between noon and 1 pm.

Ah blady hell man this sounds tough.

Cheers for the help .

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Google ..."tracking que number Chaengwattana bangkok".

You can obtain a tracking QR 

Screenshot_20231003-062946.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

I went to CW last week to get a multi r-entry. I went early in the AM..I didn't do an online booking.

I was there 5 hours...that includes the 1 hour they shut down for lunch.

Make an appointment.

Or take a good book.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Make an appointment.

For some reason the appointments are booked out.

I checked last week and first available was Sept 23.

Going to CW for extension tomorrow (appointment) and won't even try reentry permit.

Will just obtain at airport on exit. 

Edited by DrJack54

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

For some reason the appointments are booked out.

I checked last week and first available was Sept 23.

Going to CW for extension tomorrow (appointment) and won't even try reentry permit.

Will just obtain at airport on exit. 

But But But, don't you always suggest doing it at the airport???

Just sayin....

• Sad 1

I think the new appointment system inventory will improve over the next 30 days as appointments are flushed via the old system.

That said, it looks like there are only 8 - 10 slots per day for the Re-Entry Permit, at the stated period of 40 minutes.

It looks like you can only make a SIngle request so not sure how that might affect families.

I think a third-party can obtain re-entry permits on your behalf.

If you want to guarantee speedy service you could queue up in the chair section (220 - 250 numbers) at 06:00, and probably be out by 09:30?

For some reason you can get a Re-entry permit at the airport in a  few minutes, but at CW the second step seems to take at least 45 minutes, often a few hours. No clue why?

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

<Snipped>

Your last paragraph doesn't make much sense. A reentry permit is always valid for the same time as your current permission to stay, and your permission to stay can never be longer than the validity of your passport. So the validity of your passport will always be long enough to cover the period the reentry permit will be valid for.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sophon said:

Your last paragraph doesn't make much sense. A reentry permit is always valid for the same time as your current permission to stay, and your permission to stay can never be longer than the validity of your passport. So the validity of your passport will always be long enough to cover the period the reentry permit will be valid for.

That is something to think about. Because when we go to extend our O visa for a year, we will only have 8 months left on our passport. So shall i commence proceedings for a new passport now ?

5 hours ago, khunjeff said:

That office is actually immediately past passport control, but before security.

Hang on - so you go through passport control (ie no going back), and you find out the paper work is wrong, or the workers at the desk have gone for a break - you have literally lost your visa then haven't you ? Basically i'd be screwed. 

Why would they not put it airside ?

5 hours ago, khunjeff said:

That office is actually immediately past passport control, but before security.

Most airports i know have security first. From memory are you saying DMK does passport control before security ?

That just seems very wrong. What happens if you are checked out of Thailand at passport control, but the face issues at security - where do you go then ?

Edited by DonniePeverley

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Most airports i know have security first. From memory are you saying DMK does passport control before security ?

Both BKK and DMK office is AFTER security.

BKK office is before passport control.

Office Zone 2 left hand side.

DMK the office is just past passport control.

You can see the office as you are being stamped out. 

Screenshot_20231004-073137.jpg

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1