Flights from China to Thailand almost full amid visa waivers, Thai Airways says

webfact

7 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Thailand is getting to be less and less attractive as a retirement destination than ever before. Sigh.... I don't like to stereotype people or sound prejudice but I find most Chinese and Russians ill mannered, loud and unsympathetic to Thal culture. Thai's will put up with this for the cash... But me? I'm looking at alternate destinations.. South America is a contender.

Have been looking at South and Central America myself, but it looks like even the cheapest countries over there are at least 50% more expensive. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

I'm in Colombia now (Cali). Prices are about as cheap as Thailand.  I am in an apartment here that there is no way I could get in Thailand for the price. 500/mo. Modern upscale apartment with full kitchen, living room, Bathroom and bedroom.  Of course with air.. Fully furnished with a modern washer in the apartment. Ohhh, and I have razor wire around the walls of my apartment and three keys to get into the open patio area.   

The main difference for me is the women. They are in the same mind set as Thai and SE Asian women in general. But, at my age most are so fat and ugly. Like I am back home in the US. Actually it reminds me of the US years ago.. Easy but so homely for me. Basically the same gold diggers and rip offs as in Thailand. But, same as in Thailand, some very very nice and sweet gals.

China is trying to push its way in, but without much success. I see a lot Indian (India) motorcycles here.

Really the only thing I see from China here are some cars that are trying to break into the market.

Personally I have seen no foreigners here at all. Including Westerners.  If the Chinese were to live here I don't think they would like It. And they would be targets. Like painting a target on your back saying rob me. The culture shock would be to much for them IMO.

I just left a small town called Minca. Was there for a month. And just like in Thailand very safe ,  the Europeans and Westerners were overrunning the place. Hundreds daily pouring in. Mostly  young backpackers. I was there for a month carrying a 6 thousand dollar camera and lens, no problems. Here in Cali I would not be long for the world if I did that.

Was in Cartagena for a month, reminded me of Pattaya as far as tourist rip offs go. Not safe!. And, verrrry expensive.

As far as beauty goes, there is really no comparison. Thailand is so dirty and filthy it is disgusting in so many ways. Hear the natural beauty , if into that?  Is over the top. 

Another stomping ground of mine is Mexico. I prefer it to Colombia. Strictly for the size and diversity. And it is right across the border from my home in the US. 

I am heading to the Philippines next. All the years living in Thailand in the golden days. I never visited the Philippines. But, if I had to imagine living somewhere permanently, for me it would be Mexico.

Personally I will never go back to Thailand because of the retirement changes. Can I afford it? Yes. 

But, when countries start tracking me, and have their hand in my pocket I don't like it, and will never go back. 

Good one. Thanks for all that info. I have never been, but have been to many other spots in Latin America, and spent alot of time in Mexico, which is extraordinary on so many levels. Good to hear that security is not an issue, in some spots. That is one of my favorite aspects of living in Thailand. It is just not something I have to consider often, even in Bangkok. The natural beauty here is limited. There is some. But, the lack of respect for the air (horrific for 4-6 months of the year these days), the land and the sea is visible, and a blight on the culture.

Also, the level of pervasive corruption is another blight. Was just speaking with my woman, and she was telling me our sister in law was offered a low level governemnt job. Easy work, not long hours, near home, and at least 30 years of job security. But, the HR guy wants 35,000 baht, and she is hired. That does get old.

The retirement visa is still quite easy, convenient and manageable here, thankfully. Hopefully they will not muck things up with the changes in the tax laws, etc. Most of the government ministries here only know one direction. Backwards. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gknrd said:

I'm in Colombia now (Cali). Prices are about as cheap as Thailand.  I am in an apartment here that there is no way I could get in Thailand for the price. 500/mo. Modern upscale apartment with full kitchen, living room, Bathroom and bedroom.  Of course with air.. Fully furnished with a modern washer in the apartment. Ohhh, and I have razor wire around the walls of my apartment and three keys to get into the open patio area.   

The main difference for me is the women. They are in the same mind set as Thai and SE Asian women in general. But, at my age most are so fat and ugly. Like I am back home in the US. Actually it reminds me of the US years ago.. Easy but so homely for me. Basically the same gold diggers and rip offs as in Thailand. But, same as in Thailand, some very very nice and sweet gals.

China is trying to push its way in, but without much success. I see a lot Indian (India) motorcycles here.

Really the only thing I see from China here are some cars that are trying to break into the market.

Personally I have seen no foreigners here at all. Including Westerners.  If the Chinese were to live here I don't think they would like It. And they would be targets. Like painting a target on your back saying rob me. The culture shock would be to much for them IMO.

I just left a small town called Minca. Was there for a month. And just like in Thailand very safe ,  the Europeans and Westerners were overrunning the place. Hundreds daily pouring in. Mostly  young backpackers. I was there for a month carrying a 6 thousand dollar camera and lens, no problems. Here in Cali I would not be long for the world if I did that.

Was in Cartagena for a month, reminded me of Pattaya as far as tourist rip offs go. Not safe!. And, verrrry expensive.

As far as beauty goes, there is really no comparison. Thailand is so dirty and filthy it is disgusting in so many ways. Hear the natural beauty , if into that?  Is over the top. 

Another stomping ground of mine is Mexico. I prefer it to Colombia. Strictly for the size and diversity. And it is right across the border from my home in the US. 

I am heading to the Philippines next. All the years living in Thailand in the golden days. I never visited the Philippines. But, if I had to imagine living somewhere permanently, for me it would be Mexico.

Personally I will never go back to Thailand because of the retirement changes. Can I afford it? Yes. 

But, when countries start tracking me, and have their hand in my pocket I don't like it, and will never go back. 

Thanks for this great reply. Where in Mexico do you fancy? Beach resorts? City? Curious. I'm American and doing a bit of scouting around in the future as I'm getting discouraged with Thailand. Just flew into Bangkok a few weeks ago. Not impressed, it's getting over built and more crowded than ever. Pattaya is no fun anymore .. same. Way overbuilt, too many people and crowded.

Was at the airport in Bkk last week, groups of flag followers shouting and acting like an obnoxious load of football fans (think Millwall 1970's) Getting in line, well cats would do a better job they just cannot seem to resist pushing in. I nipped round to the over 70's priority lane, large group of them there standing right in the way of the entrance for some reason. Nobody at the counter. More CCP lovers is just bad news.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

There are specific destinations which are on their radar so once you know where those are it's pretty easy to avoid them, which you should, like the plague!

Where in Thailand is "off their radar". North? Issan? Let us in on it. Please elaborate. Interested in more info.

29 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

5555.  Of course you do.  It's very dangerous in Columbia. ????

P.S. The food sucks there

And you get your info from where? Very dangerous? Dangerous how? Where you getting your stats. Can't be any worse than Phils.

1 minute ago, likerdup1 said:

Where in Thailand is "off their radar". North? Issan? Let us in on it. Please elaborate. Interested in more info.

I've seen Pai overrun with them and particular parts of Chiang Mai but if you live in the northern part of the city (CM) where I live you very really see them anywhere except maybe a 7-11 at a gas station. My other house in Samoeng (tiny little town in the mountains) has no Chinese (for now). 

I only know about my little part of the country but there are clear tourist heavy destinations they go to and the rest of the areas are completely normal. I'm sure other expats can report the same thing.

Simple rule is just avoid major tourist locations and life is normal.

10 hours ago, SmartyMarty said:

Colombia has a very similar climate to Chiang Mai and cost of living is also close to Thailand. Good infrastructure in the major cities but outside of these it rapidly deteriorates.

And it's still seriously dangerous a Columbian with a British wife tells me. They now live very happily in Spain

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Thanks for this great reply. Where in Mexico do you fancy? Beach resorts? City? Curious. I'm American and doing a bit of scouting around in the future as I'm getting discouraged with Thailand. Just flew into Bangkok a few weeks ago. Not impressed, it's getting over built and more crowded than ever. Pattaya is no fun anymore .. same. Way overbuilt, too many people and crowded.

I have driven down to the Yucatan several times and fly into Merida occasionally. Progresso, Tulum. And the ruins are really nice. It's not cheap like Thailand but I like it. Guadalajara, is becoming a favorite for me.  San Miguel is nice if you like a rich expat and artist vibe. I don't like the border towns for obvious reasons.  I mostly enjoy it because it is so big and rich in history.  Again it is not cheap like Thailand but I much prefer it personally. 

All the best