Spanish tourist says Thai police are “best in the world” as missing camera returned

webfact

Glad to hear that the "español" got his camera and pictures back. Assuming, that he might not have had too many contacts with any other country's police force, his statement of "best" is more relative than factual though - given the countless times I've been stopped for highway robbery bakshish, beer money or whatever you want to call it! 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

What a joke... Wait till the RTP sees him on a motorcycle 

Hm,..If they have a driver license, insurance  and a helmet !?!? there would be no problem just like in our country's !!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, off road pat said:

good work from the police !

returning lost property is hardly commendable police work, is it?

lets see how they fare with this shopping mall killer...

Edited by bob smith
  • Confused 2

25 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Glad to hear that the "español" got his camera and pictures back. Assuming, that he might not have had too many contacts with any other country's police force, his statement of "best" is more relative than factual though - given the countless times I've been stopped for highway robbery bakshish, beer money or whatever you want to call it! 

Hm,..I have been stopped by the police countless times all over Thailand in my 30 Y+ here. I always had all the paperwork in order. I have been fined/Ripped off only twice. Nr;1 The Police officer In Udon Thani said I didn't have mud flaps on my 4x4 !?! 500, bargained down to 300 ThB fine !?!? and I fixed this as fast as possible !!! Nr2; In Bangkok a Police officer fined me for changing lane !!! (They were watching/fining everybody at a road where you have to change lane to go to the higway !?!?) another 500, bargained down to 300 Thb !? fair enough in more than 30 years around !! and I have been almost everywhere in Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

I beg to differ, at least in Samut Prakan. Local cop just arrested for raping his 12 year old domestic 'servant' from Laos who had been in his house for just 3 days. So that's rape of a child, human trafficking and illegally employing a foreigner. Probably wont even get into the news.

Same as a 'man' in the next village to me murdered his sister for not giving him money to buy drugs. Didn't read of it here, so who knows how much goes on that we never hear about. We only see the tip of the iceberg of what goes on here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai police have been described as “the best in the world” by a Spanish tourist

Now this is the strangest headline of the year. 

1st prize to the Spaniard for being so unintelligent. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

Police were more of a middleman between a taxi driver and Spanish tourists.

In reality the Thai Police are as corrupt and useless as any Thai or expat will attest to.

Universally detested throughout the country.

(Waiting for some misguided expat to extoll on the virtues of the RTP).

3 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Ok, I read the first page of comments and with only 2 exceptions they were all negative towards Thai life, culture, police, taxi drivers.

These comments came from posters who've been here for decades (as they continually boast) yet they never miss an opportunity to put Thailand down.

My question is: WTF are you still here?

BTW, good luck to the Spanish guy.

Yes, yes, yes...

I thought I was the only one who feels that way.

Gratitude and loyalty to their host country seems to be a entirely foreign concept for many.

Love it or leave it.

Good job to the police for helping him retrieve his property. 
But according to the story he said he can’t thank the police enough.  It doesn’t say anything about him actually saying they were the best in the world.

And everything he said appears to have been to his girlfriend.  Who doesn’t appear to say this either 

Edited by swm59nj

14 hours ago, off road pat said:

Hm,..I have been stopped by the police countless times all over Thailand in my 30 Y+ here. I always had all the paperwork in order. I have been fined/Ripped off only twice. Nr;1 The Police officer In Udon Thani said I didn't have mud flaps on my 4x4 !?! 500, bargained down to 300 ThB fine !?!? and I fixed this as fast as possible !!! Nr2; In Bangkok a Police officer fined me for changing lane !!! (They were watching/fining everybody at a road where you have to change lane to go to the higway !?!?) another 500, bargained down to 300 Thb !? fair enough in more than 30 years around !! and I have been almost everywhere in Thailand.

Lucky you; I travelled 30K yearly for 35 years. Retired now, less mileage and no more issues as today I have the time to discuss the missing X or the wrong Y which result usually in a "misunderstanding" ????