Thailand’s firearm frenzy: Tops ASEAN in guns, 13th in global tragedy

webfact

40 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Saved me from being attacked by a drug user that had told his girlfriend he wanted to kill me.  Then he later, kicked the door in where I lived.    I didn't shoot him, but would have if he had not stopped when I pointed my pistol at him.   Instead he turned and left. 

I reported it to the local police, two of them came to the house and took a report.  The police asked what his last name was, I didn't know, but described where he lived.   They knew who he was!!!     The police did nothing, even though I had a witness that confirmed he had threatened to kill me and kicked my front door in.   

What most news media does not report, about the so called "gun crime" (actually criminal behavior), in their news reporting, almost all the "gun crime" is committed by, criminals, not law abiding citizens.   Most of those criminals commit a felony by illegal possession of a stolen firearm or a strawman purchased firearm.   Illegal possession because they were previously charged with felony violation of criminal law, and by law, are no longer, legally, allowed to possess a firearm of any kind!

well said

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

But we also know how Thailand enforces its laws..., so what's the average a convict faces (after reduction by half, and again by half, and a Royal Pardon)?

I have never known a mass shooter to be given a ROYAL PARDON... Or are you trying to make it political???

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

According to a report by Channel 3, despite the stringent laws regarding illegal firearm possession in Thailand, the issue remains unresolved. 

Put the useless RTP at the air conditionned boots to do something useful for their wage instead of sitting the whole day in an air-conditionned place looking sex movies on their phone.
That might lessen the problem.

Thailand’s gun laws in spotlight as lone-shooter nightmare returns

image.png

Just as Thailand was set to mark the first anniversary of its worst-ever mass killing, the sound of gunshots broke out in the heart of Bangkok’s top luxury shopping mall.

Tuesday’s shooting rampage offers proof that government agencies remain powerless to prevent deadly gun violence despite lessons offered by the massacre in Nong Bua Lamphu province last year.

“I have seen no tightening of gun controls,” commented Assoc Prof Dr Krisanaphong Poothakool, an expert in criminology and law enforcement who serves as vice president of Rangsit University. He is also a former police officer.

On October 3, a 14-year-old boy opened fire at shoppers in Siam Paragon, killing two people and injuring five others.

Thailand ranks 13th among countries with the highest civilian gun ownership, according to the Geneva-based Small Arms Survey (2017). The global survey recorded more than 10.34 million guns in the possession of Thai civilians – the equivalent of one gun for every seven people.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, Lopburikid said:

I have never known a mass shooter to be given a ROYAL PARDON... Or are you trying to make it political???

maybe it was not clear, but I was referring to this:

In Thailand, people found in possession of a firearm without a permit can face a fine of up to 20,000 baht and a prison sentence of up to 10 years.

then again, after re-checking, that's exactly what I quoted, Therefore, YOU are trying to misquote me. Answer that, or I'll take you off my list come Christmas.

Edited by klauskunkel

19 minutes ago, retarius said:

I must admit that I have guns for defence of my home, because of my advanced age and fear of  home invasion. They are fully 100% legal but very expensive. A 9mm semi auto was over $2000 vs about $500 in the US.

Does your gf or wife own them?

There are a lot of contradictions on this and other related threads. Thailand is really safe with low rates of break-ins and then on the other hand folk claiming they need firearms for home protection. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Lopburikid said:

52 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

maybe it was not clear, but I was referring to this:

then again, after re-checking, that's exactly what I quoted, Therefore, YOU are trying to misquote me. Answer that, or I'll take you off my list come Christmas.

You are all quiet now??!!

Don't know how to answer without looking stupid?

37 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Does your gf or wife own them?

There are a lot of contradictions on this and other related threads. Thailand is really safe with low rates of break-ins and then on the other hand folk claiming they need firearms for home protection. 

Of course the guns are owned in my wife's name. My understanding is that foreigners cannot legally own guns.

There was a home invasion less than 100 yards from my home, we now have electric fences, savage dogs and guns. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Just ban all guns outside of law enforcement - unless you have problems with rampant elephants nearby.

Order them all be handed in. And make finding one in your possession a 5 years sentence and using one in assault a mandatory life sentence. There is simply no reason for gun ownership in modern and non-crazy society.

That's just what they should do in usa, but trigger-happy republicans want to continue shooting...

• Thanks 1

Well if they try to get rid of the guns, which won’t happen, then they will be back to using axes, swords and fruit knives. Actually it seems you hear more about people being stabbed or chopped up than shot. If there’s a will there is a way. 

And then? In "my"country you arent allowed to have guns, only if you are in a shooting club. Then all your guns should be registered and permitted as wel.

Some days ago we again had a shooting, 3 people died.

And if that is not fun, there are people creating bombs, exploding them in and around cities. This year in one city already 49, totally up to now 303 fabricated explosions.

"My"countries government "lost" a batch of guns, weather older models to be renewed from police and army, confiscated, people who had turn them in, and they lost the batch

OK yha

16 hours ago, NemoH said:

It is not the gun problem … if knives were used .. do you ban knives or get people who buy knives be registered?

You may think that the question on knives is ironic. It isn’t just read up on the U.K. laws on the subject I have sheath knives that I used in the U.K. for years that are impossible to carry as I used to and are close to being completely illegal to carry even if in a some container, and even then there are quite a few places where they are totally illegal even in a bag.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, retarius said:

Of course the guns are owned in my wife's name. My understanding is that foreigners cannot legally own guns.

There was a home invasion less than 100 yards from my home, we now have electric fences, savage dogs and guns. 

What a nice country 

On 10/5/2023 at 6:05 AM, findlay13 said:

Speculation . How do they know how many guns? The Phillipines has many illegal firearms .There are "cottage industries" making black market handguns there, but they say Thailand has the most?  So have  been talking lessons on numbers from TAT ? Australia has had strict gun laws from 1996 and earlier than that for handguns  but the crims have no problem obtaining them.If I remember correctly the cops "guesstimate" there's 250,000 illegal weapons there.

I agree anyone’s who been to Philippines would know they trump Thailand when it comes to guns