ROI After 2 Years

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Our 'installed/expensive' system, total off grid, but still conx to, should have a ROI in about 9 yrs, just energizing the house, if using 800 units a month on average, at today's rate.

Add the EVs to the ROI, and cuts that ROI time almost in half, if we continue to drive 20k kms a year.  Reality, probably 5-7 yrs ROI, as we'll probably drive less in coming years.  About 40% of the price of our system, are the ESSs (฿185k of ฿445k).

That 40% premium, only supplies 6-8kWh (~25%), overnight, of the 26kWh we use daily, on average.  Not exactly paying for itself, but, if prone to power outages (we're not) then damn convenient to have.

New build house, so we've had a digital meter almost from day 1.  As have every new house, about 13, built in the last 2 years here/PKK.

The EV will do the magic for your ROI and must be counted !!! Im "semi offgrid" I dont have any grid supply to my inverters but i do have a ATS with grid power so im very exited to see hoe much i can live without it kicking in with any grid power. I guess 2-3 rainy days...

Pink

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Nice result ???? 

The options for "do it differently" have improved over the last few years.

There are a fair number of on/off grid hybrids now that will happily run as grid-tie with no ESS and export excess energy. When the no-reverse meter comes along add an ESS and re-configure the inverter to not export ???? 

EDIT For interest our 10.6kWP hybrid system with 12kWh ESS will pay for itself after about 5.25 years, 1.7 years to go ???? 

If we get there without getting an electronic meter I'll be happy, if we do get an electronic meter I'll have to add more storage which would push payback out to around 7.5 years total ???? 

I think that is certainly something that I may consider.  As you are aware, I'm currently using 4 x 415W solar panels on carport roof.  If required there is ample space to add a further 8 panels.  But then were getting into the realms of parallel connections etc, which is going to be a new learning curve for me.  That said, I love a challenge.

Many thanks for your suggestion.

• 3 months later...

Upgrade Update

Up at the crack of dawn yesterday morning to turn off the inverter and the system’s  AC and DC breakers before starting work to connect the two new panels to the existing panels on the carport roof.

I managed to complete the connection and securing the panels onto their mounts before the sun became to strong to continue working on the carport roof.

20240122_073059.jpg.161157911ebd01306155e942a6b31c47.jpg

Back on terra firma, I did a quick check to ensure that the input polarity to the DC breaker was correct before switching everything back on.  Thankfully the needle on the AVO meter swung in the correct direction and showed a reading of 240V (DC), which with the 6 panels, and moderate sunlight, was about what I was expecting.

With fingers crossed, I turned on both of the system breakers and then switched the inverter on.  The inverter went into its start up check sequence and a few moments later the system showed “Normal operation”.  Fortunately no ‘flash bang’ or ‘magic smoke’ thank goodness.

A quick look at meter on the pole outside the house showed that it was merrily spinning backwards at a ‘rapid rate of knots’.  Upon checking the system’s monitoring facility (on my PC), the system showed a marked increase in power produced (e.g. about 40% plus) when compared against the same time the day before.

After a full day of operation the system monitoring facility shows about 45% increase in production, as can be seen from the graphs blow.  Given that there were a few intermittent clouds shading the sun during the day, the increase power production was as I was expecting.

202401221.jpg.9f7d55d3e72c457b3e0a7e0b6fcf5fb9.jpg

202401222.jpg.c34d6d1129f67c0166de3da56371584c.jpg

So now having spent an additional 8,000 THB on the 2 extra panel, I hope that they quickly repay my moderate investment.

The only problem that I envisage is that with the added potential production there is a risk that my small scale system may well start pushing the spinning meter into negative territory, so this is something that I will need to monitor in the coming weeks as I certainly don't want the :hit-the-fan: when the meter reader comes next month.

All good fun.:wai:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post. As you may remember I copied your layout with a couple minor charges about 1 year ago with similar results. I started with 4 - 450 watt 48 volt panels (Tier1)  from Homepro because they would deliver which is a major stumbling block if your out in remote areas. I just started to add 2 more panels myself and have the mounting hardware, frames, panels, etc and I'll be up on the roof later today and tomorrow pending the weather. Only hiccup I had was a bad data logger that worked intermittently. I was sent 2 replacements from Sofar for free. 1 replacement was the plug in RS232 style which was correct and the other is a screw on version that doesn't fit my model inverter. (if anyone needs that one shoot me a message).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1