kosher salt

solly if wrong thread, but anyone know where i can find kosher salt ?

went to villas pattaya, foodland pats... hell even looked on shopee.

many recipes require this ingredient

only think anywhere near this is sea salt

if anyone knows please lemme know

krap

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

solly if wrong thread, but anyone know where i can find kosher salt ?

went to villas pattaya, foodland pats... hell even looked on shopee.

only think anywhere near this is sea salt

if anyone knows please lemme know

krap

Salt is Sodium Chloride wherever it comes from, the Sea, Northwich, Cheshire, the Himalayas or Kosher stuff from Israel.

Edited by KannikaP

20 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

If you can't find kosher salt then Himalayan pink salt (which is readily available online and in shops) is a viable alternative.

So please, what does Himalayan or Kosher salt have which Sea salt does not?

• Thumbs Up 1

This is what i googled

Lack of Impurities — Kosher salt, unlike other types of salt, is unrefined and does not contain anti-caking agents or iodine. Sea pollutants are also absent in kosher salt since it is mined on land.

Apart from the name it doesnt seem to have anything to do with judaism

So, anyone know where i can get some?

Dont feel like traveling to israel ????

By the way kosher salt is not necessarily kosher, it actually gets its name from its use the process of koshering (or kashering) which is the process of removing all blood from the meat to make it kosher.

image.png.742a45ae1561d6aef7a2f47d510e571a.png

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Just use coarse sea salt.  There will be somebody your block selling fish grilled in it -- ask 'em where they got it.  I assume the reason that non-Kashrut recipes might call for kosher salt is that it's a standard(ish) coarseness commodity readily available as a non-specialty item (which sea salt used to not be) at supermarkets.  Even in the Middle East, apparently.

Natural Organic Salt 2kg

• Like 1

I had to put my quest for the Holy Grail on hold so I could get some kosher salt for my wife.

So far, I have failed.  We live in Chiang Mai so I checked at YOK, Bakermart, Tops and Rimping.

https://www.acouplecooks.com/kosher-salt-substitute/

I wish the OP good luck on his quest.

Edited by gamb00ler

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I had to put my quest for the Holy Grail on hold so I could get some kosher salt for my wife.

no worries lancelot! i will survive... it acyually is near impossible to find but i will check out @Crossy lead. thanks anyways.

6 hours ago, retiree said:

Just use coarse sea salt.  There will be somebody your block selling fish grilled in it -- ask 'em where they got it. 

the whole idea behind kosher salt is that as i posted after my original op it doesnt have impurities. i do have to say that jewish cuisine is pretty good...

i am trying a pizza recipe and when i tried to find some i found it nearly impossible. i love cooking and many recipes recommend this ingredient. in the end i just used normal table salt and it still worked. but i would like to try it and see why it comes so highly recommended. who knows, might even be good for my high cholesterol and high blood pressure

I'd imagine that "impurities" are insignificant to the final taste, and that as long as you're not just dissolving the salt as part of the process, the main issues will be:

-- if it's too fine it may be difficult to ensure an even distribution in, say, dough,

-- similarly, anything too fine won't make a pleasing crust, and will be too likely to just dissolve, 

-- overall, coarser salt is easier if you're handling it as part of the process (as opposed to just measuring and tossing in).