Biden stuns allies with border wall bombshell

Social Media

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

I tried to get them to reappropriate, to redirect that money. They didn’t. They wouldn’t,”

Who are "they" ?

Biden said he tried to get lawmakers to redirect the money but Congress refused, and the law requires funding to be used as approved and the construction to be completed in 2023. Oct. 6, 2023 https://apnews.com

As "Congress" includes a Republican controlled House, Biden couldn't redirect the funds.

Unlike POTUS Trump who in 2020 diverted $3.8 billion in Pentagon funding to build his border wall without Congressional approval, albeit the Trump's Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security and Ranking Member (aka majority leadership ) on the House Committee on Appropriations championed Trump's decision. Feb. 13, 2020  https://www.npr.org

So it would appear that the current Republican majority-held House alone could have blocked Biden's request for redirection? And in the middle of a possible government shutdown if Biden couldn't get at least a temporary short-term budget from House Speaker McCarthy?

BUT to keep to his political word on 'no more wall,' couldn't Biden have simply let the funds EXPIRE as unused by year-end?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Post removed.

Please do not use facebook links. not everyone has facebook to be able to read whatever you are referring to.

Its also not good etiquette to post a link without atleast some explanation or detail as ot what it is, a stand alone link will invariably just get removed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

BUT to keep to his political word on 'no more wall,' couldn't Biden have simply let the funds EXPIRE as unused by year-end?

Good question.

Edited by BusyB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

They were talking about this on Bill Maher today. I have always felt that the approach to immigration by democrats is a bit strange and too liberal. Definitely out of step with most people's thoughts and it hurts their chances of success in 2024. I don't think it's cruel by definition to have decent borders but it is complicated. 

As an aside I am wondering how other posters feel about the writer's strike being over. I have kept out of politics for a while but watching Kimmel, Colbert, and Maher along with actual news programs has got be a bit interested. But sometimes I think best not to bother, losing 30 minutes or more out of my day, and let politics do it's thing. 

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Read the article Biden has no choice the funds have to be used in the manner intended

Another report that I glanced at yesterday said JB had, early in his tenure, signed an Executive Order to release the funds for use other than wall building. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1