Thailand tackles delivery rider accidents with defensive driving training

webfact

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no enforcement of traffic laws here. When is the last time you witnessed someone getting pulled over for reckless driving, improper lane change, or cutting in front of a fast moving vehicle? The police do not patrol the roads and the fairly useless highway patrol adamantly refuse to patrol the highways. It is a free for all, and there is very little in the way of any sort of deterrent, other than the tickets in the mail, which I throw into the bin. 

TBH I hardly ever see police out on the roads  these days..I was thinking Covid got them all.

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

TBH I hardly ever see police out on the roads  these days..I was thinking Covid got them all.

I see them by the side of the road, in the air conditioned roadside offices playing cards, and at accident scenes. And at the annoying and in effective roadblocks. Never, ever patrolling the highways, where they would be of benefit in regard to traffic safety. 

Edited by spidermike007

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I think if you're a delivery driver, you're under intense pressure from the customer and whoever it is you work for, to deliver fast. The more jobs you can do in a day, the more you earn. I try and keep out of their way. They have a job to do. It's dangerous and badly paid, but a last resort for extra cash for many, I imagine.

How many jobs can they do?

10 with crazy driving or 8 or 9 with relative safe driving?

I see them often take so many risks that it's unlikely some of them will survive a year or longer in that job.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:59 PM, nchuckle said:

Just not in the DNA,nor risk perception nor anticipation.

On a lighter note,I was in lotus yesterday holding my brand new £500 HJC helmet brought back from UK that  didn't want leave with my bike. The guy in front of me bought a helmet which they scanned ( 900 baht) . After scanning my groceries she tried to scan my helmet! ????.

I giggled and in my pigeon Thai said " from England!” 

I'm not sure who's more of an idiot. The guy buying a helmet for 900 THB or you buying one for 500 GBP 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I see them often take so many risks that it's unlikely some of them will survive a year or longer in that job.

Much depends on the proximity of the pick up and drop off points. I've seen drivers picking up an iced coffee from 7/11. What can they possibly earn from that, unless it's for himself!

Edited by bradiston

In a country where people flash their headlights to force their dominance over other people on the road, its pretty obvious they are offense drivers, not defensive drivers. Until this "me first" attitude is changed, and people actively care about other drivers or pedestrians, nothing is going to get better. Just travel into Bangkok on the Sirat Expressway on any given morning, there are 100's  of drivers flying down the emergency lanes to pass other traffic, not only that, they enter busy ON-RAMPS to pass on the left.....these people are suicidal! Cops? They sit there and watch, or take part in the psychotic behavior, I shake my head in disgust at this horrible culture.

12 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I'm not sure who's more of an idiot. The guy buying a helmet for 900 THB or you buying one for 500 GBP 

It's a bit of a scam in the UK like the one we see for fancy overpriced training shoes. I wanted to bring a good helmet back from UK and was astonished at some of the prices in the fancy biker shops... ended up ordering mail order/internet.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, keithkarmann said:

Then all the pizzas and coffees will be 

C.O.A. (cold on arrival). Not condoning the delivery system but by limiting their speed it will restrict their income and increase the chances of customers refusing to pay for cold food. Having said that Thais are built for speed and they have no idea how to drive slowly.

I have to agree.......but the only other oprion is to actually teach them the rules of the road. If nothing is done lives will continue to be lost and bodies maimed. This report makes no mention by the way of the trail of destruction they leave in their wake.....bent fenders, whiplash injuries, insurance claims and worse of course. 

They need to be made aware why they will not come out on top in a fight with a car. The standard of driving by many car users is pretty low as it is, these delievery drivers merely compound the situation and literally put life and limb on the line to make a pittance. 

The companies who employ them need to take some responsibility too for the carnage they cause. 

A good compensation lawyer would have a field day here with these fast food companies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Hopefully. But what about all the accidents they cause with reckless crazy driving, accidents in which innocent people are harmed.