Microphone Problem On My Laptop

NONG CHOK

Hi there, I've recently had problems with the microphone and speakers on my laptop. The internal speakers sound is very rough and the internal microphone is barely audible. I've tried external speakers, they work great but the microphone doesn't work at all. Maybe I need a reputable laptop repair shop, are there any suggestions in the Pattaya area. Thanks.

Firstly thanks for your reply. I've tried everything that has been suggested via online. My problem is firstly the internal speaker is very poor quality. Secondly the people I call by Skype etc can only barely hear me. So as a work around I tried external speakers and the quality is excellent but the mic doesn't work at all. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Out of the four laptops I've had over the last 15 year, the internal microphone never work on any of them. 

I totally agree with you. I have to go to Tukcom Pattaya this morning. I shall buy an external mic and use it with my external speakers that work extra well. Thanks.

1 hour ago, NONG CHOK said:

I call by Skype etc can only barely hear me.

Is this perhaps a Skype related problem only or do you get bad microphone on other apps also? For me I cannot figure out how to get Skype mic sound to work on a laptop these days whereas all my other sound apps work fine. I resorted to making Skype calls from an Android phone instead!

If you have and spare usb 2 or 3 port, then a headset with usb powered DAC should solve your issue. 

the other thing to try is see if the laptop support page has a audio driver to download. Sometimes as part of the monthly updates, windows will load its own drivers on top of the vendors drivers and make a mess. It can also be patch in a library that breaks the oem drivers. Reloading to most recent from the vendor may restore function. 

or you have a hardware issue.

4 hours ago, degrub said:

If you have and spare usb 2 or 3 port, then a headset with usb powered DAC should solve your issue. 

the other thing to try is see if the laptop support page has a audio driver to download. Sometimes as part of the monthly updates, windows will load its own drivers on top of the vendors drivers and make a mess. It can also be patch in a library that breaks the oem drivers. Reloading to most recent from the vendor may restore function. 

or you have a hardware issue.

Ok, I tried everything mentioned, I even tried an external speaker and an external mic. Same result. Would it be wise to get it repaired or buy a new laptop, I only pay around 15-20 K for a new laptop as I don't over use them.

You don't mention which laptop. If it is a Dell , watch out ! Nearly all of them come with MaxxAudio/waves app that causes problems with speakers and microphones. You can't get rid of it for 100 % . It is a part of the Realtek audio driver . Realtek audio chips are cheap mediocre junk.

Sometimes the windows sound mixer and the realtek or other sound control app will get confused as to who is in control. You have to check the volume settings in both for the specific speaker/mic software output. 

A usb dac  should get around any hardware issues. If not, sounds like windows issue.

how old is your laptop ?

5 hours ago, degrub said:

Sometimes the windows sound mixer and the realtek or other sound control app will get confused as to who is in control. You have to check the volume settings in both for the specific speaker/mic software output. 

A usb dac  should get around any hardware issues. If not, sounds like windows issue.

how old is your laptop ?

My laptop is an ASUS Vivo Book, it's just gone 3 years old. Of all the laptops I've had this one is easily the best, it works superbly, except for my current problem.

I've just tried my laptop this morning. Nothing has changed, the internal speakers have a vibrating like sound and  the internal microphone appears to be working but my recipients can't hear anything despite all the adjustments I know of.

Edited by NONG CHOK
Typo

A couple links from asus and microsoft just to make sure that something has not been overlooked.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1015070

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/asus-vivobook-15-audio-and-microphone-not-working/4ded75cc-05e9-46e6-948c-a45678906e3e

if the speaker inside just makes a fuzzy sound or rattles it may have a diaphragm failure. In that case, using external speakers should work and avoid repair cost. The mic and speaker may be on a sub board that can be easily replaced by a tech.  If part is on main board, it may be time to look at a new model.