Leaving to go to Thailand too young

20 minutes ago, Native Farang said:

Well hello all, nice to see so many people concerned about our situation here in Thailand. 

Firstly, let me set things straight.. I'm Thai through and through and will never forget where I came from, and that's Isaan.. back when we didn't have running water coming out of taps. 

It's crazy that 'Farangs' are concerned that I won't be able to live out here in my own country ???? I know you may think you know more about this country than I do but you can't live here like I can.. unlike you guys I can work what ever job I'd like here (legally). 

We moved here on our own will, I have lived in the UK for 20 years and had a good stable job earning what most would consider a decent income. We were torn between putting money down for a mortgage or selling up and moving here, knowing that we own everything here and will not have the bills to worry about. 

Also these comments that were living in a muddy home ???? because you see some clips of the driveway muddy doesn't mean our house is. We live on a farm in rural Thailand, with projects going on so we have trucks delivering materials all the time coming in and out of the farm in wet season... What do you expect? Sorry that it's a little muddy. But name me a farmer without mud on their boots? 

As for my partner and kids, my partner will be able to apply for citizenship when we get around to it. (We've only been here 5 months, give us time ????) My kids are half Thai so will also have Dual citizenship. So unlike you guys they will be able to work any jobs as they please too with no legal implications.

You all worry about health care ect but you have to remember medical insurance is 'alot' cheaper when you're younger.. when you're 60+ insurance companies don't think you have many years left so therefore high prices for you old farts. Sorry to state out the facts. 

People talk about Thailand as this crazy place where no one succeeds but we'll prove you wrong. Remember that I have western education believe I'm very employable here in Thailand knowing both languages. But we moved here so we don't have to work for a corporation but for ourselves. 

Farming can be successful, you just don't know how to do it.. but let's not forget Farangs can't do farming jobs in Thailand so what would you know? ????????‍♂️ 

You can't handle any money.. unless there's something you need to tell us? (Be careful, they might revoke your visa)

Lastly, from Myself, my partner and the kids we are happier here than we have ever been living in the UK.. we get to spend quality time together as a family and watch the kids grow up and watch them learn new things that many western kids would never get to experience. We may not be rich in materialistic things but we're rich in life, and that's the exact reason why we CHOSE to move here. 

Yours truly, 

Natt - Native Farang 

From what I've seen on your U-tube videos, a ton of foreigners here, including myself, could teach you a lot about farming, Mr. Smarty-Pants.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Wouldn't matter if someone uses their pension or not to pay rent ,they would of paid taxes in their own country for years to earn it .

Sounds a bit discriminatory 

A bit discriminatory? Love to dish it but can’t hack it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Native Farang said:

Well hello all, nice to see so many people concerned about our situation here in Thailand. 

Firstly, let me set things straight.. I'm Thai through and through and will never forget where I came from, and that's Isaan.. back when we didn't have running water coming out of taps. 

It's crazy that 'Farangs' are concerned that I won't be able to live out here in my own country ???? I know you may think you know more about this country than I do but you can't live here like I can.. unlike you guys I can work what ever job I'd like here (legally). 

We moved here on our own will, I have lived in the UK for 20 years and had a good stable job earning what most would consider a decent income. We were torn between putting money down for a mortgage or selling up and moving here, knowing that we own everything here and will not have the bills to worry about. 

Also these comments that were living in a muddy home ???? because you see some clips of the driveway muddy doesn't mean our house is. We live on a farm in rural Thailand, with projects going on so we have trucks delivering materials all the time coming in and out of the farm in wet season... What do you expect? Sorry that it's a little muddy. But name me a farmer without mud on their boots? 

As for my partner and kids, my partner will be able to apply for citizenship when we get around to it. (We've only been here 5 months, give us time ????) My kids are half Thai so will also have Dual citizenship. So unlike you guys they will be able to work any jobs as they please too with no legal implications.

You all worry about health care ect but you have to remember medical insurance is 'alot' cheaper when you're younger.. when you're 60+ insurance companies don't think you have many years left so therefore high prices for you old farts. Sorry to state out the facts. 

People talk about Thailand as this crazy place where no one succeeds but we'll prove you wrong. Remember that I have western education believe I'm very employable here in Thailand knowing both languages. But we moved here so we don't have to work for a corporation but for ourselves. 

Farming can be successful, you just don't know how to do it.. but let's not forget Farangs can't do farming jobs in Thailand so what would you know? ????????‍♂️ 

You can't handle any money.. unless there's something you need to tell us? (Be careful, they might revoke your visa)

Lastly, from Myself, my partner and the kids we are happier here than we have ever been living in the UK.. we get to spend quality time together as a family and watch the kids grow up and watch them learn new things that many western kids would never get to experience. We may not be rich in materialistic things but we're rich in life, and that's the exact reason why we CHOSE to move here. 

Yours truly, 

Natt - Native Farang 

image.jpeg.01806435176fe29205dbd6aa84290f99.jpeg

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Yikes. Does the phrase, "check your privilege" have any meaning to you? 

Also, if you somehow believe you are getting anything close to a full, or true, picture of life from a YouTube video, you have some real issues with media. 

Check my privilege? You must think that farming is in the DNA of Thai people. This guy has been at it for 5 months; I've been doing it for 20 years straight. Yes, I think I could teach that guy more than a thing or two. And, yes, I think the videos on his channel give me a high degree of confidence in my assessment.

• Love It 1

23 minutes ago, Native Farang said:

I think you need a reality check.. what 20-30 year old is going to have their finances in check for the rest of their life? We have 50+ years left there's no way anyone is going to have that kind of money stashed away. 

It might be ok for the older guys that retire in Thailand, most are 60+ with only a few years to plan ahead for. 

To say we 'failed' at preparation ???? when you were 20 I'm sure you didn't have that kind of money set aside. Remember we were all young once and you probably have 30+ years on us, we'll catch up and by your age would have everything figured out too.. 

I never said you shouldn't have moved back to Thailand, and I never said you should have 'x' amount of money before you did. All I did was point out the risks you and your wife are taking in the process, which was the subject of this thread, and I stand by my assessment in this regard. I wish you success and good fortune in your future endeavors and life ahead.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I used to know an American guy. Don't know how old he was when he arrived here, but he was living in Thailand as a teenager. I knew him in his late twenties and early thirties. He was involved in movie making in southern Thailand back in 2010 when I lost touch with him. As far as I know he's doing all right financially. Of course he won't have American Social Security, but he might have Thai citizenship and get theirs. Hard to say. We don't get what we deserve, we get what we get.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In reading back over the thread, I think the remarkably rich and thoughtful range of comments offered may have been somewhat lost in the heat of the moment. While Native Farang understandably didn't appreciate having his decision to move his family to Thailand put through the ASEANNOW gristmill, the thoughtfulness of the comments made still provide a valuable resource for anyone considering a move abroad. I'm skeptical about claims that there's been some monster sea change about how younger generations view this issue. In the final analysis the decision boils down to weighing the tradeoffs between opportunity and security, and to me that calculus seems pretty timeless. 

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1