You have less than 10 years?

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

It's not unreasonable at all to consider ones own mortality, especially when you reach 70 or so. I'm surprised by some of the responses here, it sounds like the OP struck a nerve, well done for making people think.

I started thinking about dying since I was 8 years old. Now at 50 I think about it a lot. I am sure the OP did not stuck a nerve with anyone, so I do wonder if you are that stupid or are you just trolling? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Uh-uh. It's not even necessarily true.

Life Expectancy Calculators put me at 80% likely to hit 86 and 20% likely to hit 92. And that's loading me in statistically with a lot of deadwood like from here.

With $$$'s, brains, zero stress, and a decent diet, I think 90 is really my baseline and 95 is possible. Plus Big Pharma is working around the clock to develop new technology (sell me stuff).

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Life Expectancy Calculators put me at 80% likely to hit 86 and 20% likely to hit 92. And that's loading me in statistically with a lot of deadwood like from here.

With $$$'s, brains, zero stress, and a decent diet, I think 90 is really my baseline and 95 is possible. Plus Big Pharma is working around the clock to develop new technology (sell me stuff).

Money and brains aren't going to ensure longevity. Exercise, diet, meaning a healthy one, no smoking or excessive drinking. Zero stress is impossible if you have a conscience, which means, if you have loved ones, you worry about them. No one escapes stress unless they have no conscience. My father had a genius level IQ, and his two sons are pretty smart. One son, who was in good shape most of his life, ate healthy but maybe a little too much, had diabetes take over. Then he didn't lose enough weight, so died at 67 from a heart attack, brought on by the diabetes. He was supposed to live until 75-80. Life expectancy calculators are fairly accurate, but people have died at 40 from illnesses who were expected to live to 90. Our parents died at 79 and 84 from cancer. Dad smoked 3 packs a day for over 60 years, and made 79. Mom had bladder cancer, they waited too long, and died at 84. Bladder cancer usually comes from smoking too much. Mom never smoked, although was subjected to second hand.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

You sound a bit like the guys at my work ,just because your diet is great and you exercise,chances in all probability your not going past 83

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

My father had a genius level IQ, and his two sons are pretty smart. 

On this subject, I am unburdened. I am dead-average, so if brain power = lifespan, I'm already dead for at least five years.

But clearly, educated (diff from smart) people with money live longer.

I got a full range of possibly helpful genetic testing. I get a colonoscopy every 3 years. A blood test twice a year. I have a gym trainer. Plus no stress. More money deff means less stress.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Money and brains aren't going to ensure longevity. Exercise, diet, meaning a healthy one, no smoking or excessive drinking. Zero stress is impossible if you have a conscience, which means, if you have loved ones, you worry about them. No one escapes stress unless they have no conscience. My father had a genius level IQ, and his two sons are pretty smart. One son, who was in good shape most of his life, ate healthy but maybe a little too much, had diabetes take over. Then he didn't lose enough weight, so died at 67 from a heart attack, brought on by the diabetes. He was supposed to live until 75-80. Life expectancy calculators are fairly accurate, but people have died at 40 from illnesses who were expected to live to 90. Our parents died at 79 and 84 from cancer. Dad smoked 3 packs a day for over 60 years, and made 79. Mom had bladder cancer, they waited too long, and died at 84. Bladder cancer usually comes from smoking too much. Mom never smoked, although was subjected to second hand.

84 , didn't do too  bad 

10 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

all probability your not going past 83

All probability for whom?

Lumped in with you, a beer-drinking depressive who longs for a re-make of On The Buses, you're dragging the death age average down. Dragging things down is very you.

Lumped in with Yoga/vegan types who I have more in common with, I'm on the short end of them, but still leaving you well behind in the dust.

The diff: I feel a little bad about that. While you want to gloat over it to some ancient, penniless 3rd world janitor. 

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

It sounds like some of you guys have a history here, hence the attitude and the reponses. I on the other hand don't have a history with anyone on the forum but I don't really care for being called stupid or a troll, just because I have an opinion that some others seem to share! I guess it will take me a while to understand who is worth reading and who I should simply ignore, it seems I'm learning fast in that respect.

Well you do have to around 83 ,so how old are you now 

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well you got 7 -8 years to work everyone out ,enjoy it whilst you can ????

Again you're guessing, assuming, how long he might live, which again, is a sad thing to say. He might live 20 more years, and you might have an airplane hit your house this afternoon. There are no guarantees.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Just the look on their faces the shock tells me they never thought of it.

Dear me, you're a barrel of laughs, aren't you?. As an aficionado of old British comedy tv, perhaps you remember the Monty Python sketch about the irritating to55er who sat next to somebody saying "Nudge nudge, wink wink, know what I mean?" Fits you to a T, squire.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

It sounds like some of you guys have a history here, hence the attitude and the reponses. I on the other hand don't have a history with anyone on the forum but I don't really care for being called stupid or a troll, just because I have an opinion that some others seem to share! I guess it will take me a while to understand who is worth reading and who I should simply ignore, it seems I'm learning fast in that respect.

Oh look, it looks like I struck a nerve.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JayClay said:

I would imagine the shock is more to do with the fact that you've made a wholey inappropriate statement than anything else.

Who on earth goes around reminding people that they're going to die soon?

The Grim Reaper do this every Day. Knocking on people doors. Just watching Monty Phytons movie "The Meaning Of Life". 

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Again you're guessing, assuming, how long he might live, which again, is a sad thing to say. He might live 20 more years, and you might have an airplane hit your house this afternoon. There are no guarantees.

Absolutely!!

We don't know when we are going to go ,and that really really makes me angry, we can only speculate 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, georgegeorgia said:

Absolutely!!

We don't know when we are going to go ,and that really really makes me angry, we can only speculate 

Which is why you don't go around telling people they only have 10 years to live, nor any other time limit. They'll find out for themselves as will everyone else.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

The nerve-striking is out of control here.

Can't we finally put this AOL chatline-era cliche to death?

Be a realist !

No use denying we are all going and probality is early 80's but ...but think on the positive side...it increased from 78yo to 83yo !!!

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Well you got 7 -8 years to work everyone out ,enjoy it whilst you can ????

What do you feel that you missed and still need to squeeze in?

For me, nothing. I have been given and done enough. Anything more is a little absurd.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1