Thai tourism suffers amid Israel conflict and Bangkok shooting, visa exemption offers hope

webfact

image.jpeg

The recent conflict in Israel and the aftermath of a shooting incident in a Bangkok mall last week are predicted to lead to a decrease in foreign arrivals next week, significantly impacting Thai tourism. However, the private sector is optimistic that the visa exemption scheme will help revitalise the market in the next two months.

The Tourism and Sports Ministry noted a 9.86% decrease in foreign arrivals last week (Oct 2 to Oct 8), with numbers falling to 497,966, largely due to a significant reduction in Chinese visitors. A number of them opted to return home early to avoid the rush at the end of the Golden Week holiday, while others were worried about their safety following the Oct 3 shooting at Siam Paragon.

The ongoing conflict between Israel and Hamas militants raises additional concerns about inbound tourism, particularly from the Middle East. This could result in a further drop in arrivals to 480,000 next week, as per the ministry’s estimates.

Tassapon Bijleveld, the executive chairman of Asia Aviation, the parent company of Thai AirAsia, reported that the average load factor on Chinese routes remained weak at approximately 70% due to several negative influences. While the visa-free scheme is still seen as an effective incentive for the Chinese market, the Thai tourism sector cannot avoid a short-term slump due to decreased confidence in tourist safety.

by Alex Morgan

Photo: Bangkok Post

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

TAT is already trying to blame the drop in tourism on a war which started a couple of days ago. They will spin any garbage at the moment to avoid the uncomfortable reality that Thailand is not as attractive as it once was. I don't think the Japan Tourism authority is seeing the same thing, as they are dealing with over tourism!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the private sector is optimistic that the visa exemption scheme will help revitalise the market in the next two months.

What happened to their plan to extend visa exempt entries for those from Western countries from 30 days to 90 days?

At this rate they'll fail to implement this on time to entice some more snow birds to have a longer stay in Thailand this winter.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Nickcage49 said:

Do they seriously think one shooting is having an impact on their tourism?

If that was the case the USA would have no tourists.

That's just bunk.

And I doubt Israel's situation has much effect either.

Gotta blame somebody aside from here.

A weekly drop is no big deal in the consistent bigger picture, should achieve around 27 million which is exactly in the middle of TAT'S 2023 forecast range of 24-30 million. All about the Chinese returning if 2024 is to increase into 30 million + territory, the jury is out on that one at the moment.

Thailand is quickly becoming less and less appealing every day.

Inadequate government, police service, public services just to name a few.

If I was not living out here in the sticks, quite happily already I very much doubt I would make the decision to move here.

It really is a ses pit.

Well, the visa waiver ......... you have to do A LOT MORE to get tourists than just waive the visa. 

All has been written, repeated and repetitions of the repetitions have been also written endlessly. 

You can paint a penguin green but it remains a penguin and not a frog - me thinks!