What Are Your Three Favourite TV Series?

NoshowJones

I have lately been watching "Rookies" - I have never seen such a collection of gorgeous police women! Almost worth going and committing a crime in Los Angeles to get arrested!

In past years, "Morse" and " Minder". Poles apart as mental challenges, but both great entertainment.

Edited by herfiehandbag

Everyone will probably name ones I like but if I have to go a little less known, I would say:

12 Monkeys.  The TV show, not the movie!  One of the few shows that got increasingly better with each season.  I would skip season 1.  RottenTomatoes ratings were Season 1/2/3/4: 60%/92%/100%/100%.  First season was based on the mediocre movie but where they went after that was way more interesting.

The Magicians.  At first, I thought it was some Vampire Diaries tween show but it turned out way better than I thought.  Glad I gave it a second chance.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.  Always loved dark humor but TV wasn't really ready for it until Sunny.

• Like 1

There really is so little that isn't a reboot or a tired rehash of worn out plot-lines that we have seen before now dressed up in different costumes and CGI.  And as well, 'woke.'  And I don't watch 'reality tv at all'  With that said:

Series that run more than one season
Bosch (With author Michael Connelly as a producer, this show stays true to the book series)
Foundation (although it isn't even remotely true to Asimov's Foundation series)
Wheel of Time (Season 2 actually attempted to follow the plot-line of the books)

Series that ran two or less seasons
Utopia (British version)
Escape at Dannemora
Lonesome Dove

Young Ones

Blake 7

M*A*S*H

If there was a pole for radio, then Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy, was there from the beginning, Reel-To-Reel recorded off Radio 4, then use to sell the cassettes at college and via an ad in Sounds music paper. In the days before BBC Enterprises was setup, proper Arthur Daley inspired enterprise.

1 minute ago, connda said:

Or let's go retro (the black and white era):

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Alfred Hitchcock Presents

Or retro Westerns

Have Gun Will Travel
Wagon Train
Bonanza (A Sunday evening family favorite)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

M*A*S*H

Mr InBetween

Boardwalk Empire

Honorable Mentions:

Game of Thrones

Reacher ( NOT the Tom Cruise travesty )

Justified

Ray Donovan

Breaking Bad

Better Call Saul

The Bill

Heartbeat

Callan

Banshee

Warship

The World at War

Yellowstone

Billions

Peaky Blinders

The Ascent of Man

12 minutes ago, connda said:

Or retro Westerns

Have Gun Will Travel
Wagon Train
Bonanza (A Sunday evening family favorite)

Have Gun is a good western. But I hate Wagon Train. No mention of Maverick in this topic so far. But the Maverick episodes that spoofed Gunsmoke and Bonanza are funny. "Three Queens Full" is the Bonanza spoof episode. Maverick poked fun at Bonanza in one wacky 1961 episode

Edited by John Drake

1 hour ago, Goat said:

In my opinion watching fictional TV series is a complete and utter waste of time.

I am surprised they are as popular with the masses as they are. I assume it is escapism from their boring mundaine lives?

They do bring in huge money.

Just actors acting fake dramas. Nonsense really. Give me a documentry and real knowledge.

They are like alcohol intake, it's about how much entertainment occupies an individual's day. I'd say TV shows do less harm than propping up a bar stool all day.

I'd add the actors make a lot more money than your curmudgeon opinion ever would.

None for the last 50 years. Before that I remember the Avengers (John Steed and Emma Peel) and I had to look Bonanza every Sunday because my dad was a fan.

But all in all I dislike TV Series. Well, Twilight Zone was not bad actually.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1