Which cities in Isaan are the most English friendly?

smallchungus

2 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Since I live close to Ubon and want to fly to Phuket for holiday in october I have searched for a direct flight, but can't find any.

Can you help me with where you see a direct flight?

In former years I have used NOK Air I think, but can't find any companies now.

No have anymore. Go via Bangkok. AA is cheaper than Nok. Or check Lion Air but I dont think so.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, perconrad said:

Since I live close to Ubon and want to fly to Phuket for holiday in october I have searched for a direct flight, but can't find any.

Can you help me with where you see a direct flight?

In former years I have used NOK Air I think, but can't find any companies now.

Airasia  Ubon to Phuket  Using Thailion

Edited by fredwiggy

Few westerners rarely choose Issan to live.

I would suggest that Issan usually chooses them, after they meet an Issan girl in another part of Thailand.

Their partner usually convinces them to live there, mainly to support her family.

It would be difficult for a westerner without any thai language skills to live alone in Issan. 

I think you may have some pre-conceived ideas about Issan and Issan girls.

After 20 years living in most parts of Thailand including Issan, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Chumphon and Ranong and many other parts, I found Issan girls are just like any other Thai girl.

Issan is the poorer part of Thailand and does not have a lot to attract a single westerner and also does have some pollution issues.

Chiang Mai is a very cosmopolitan city and the second largest in Thailand and is a great place to live six months of the year during the rainy season but not during the dry season, it sometimes has the worst pollution in the world. 

The sweet spot for a smoke free life is between Chumphon and Nakhon Si Thammarat which is between the Andaman and Gulf of Thailand and there are many rural areas in between.

Even Hua Hin at certain times also has a pollution problem but because of its closeness to Bangkok with all its amenities, in particular first-class medical care, it is a very popular cosmopolitan area, with access to rural areas close by.

I would suggest you come to Thailand with an open mind and spend at least a month or more in all areas before committing to any investment, particularly, any permanent housing.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

not arriving here just to objectify the women?

37 minutes ago, smallchungus said:

You are such a hero.  Can’t wait to be away from attitudes like this forever.

What a load of tosh.

My wife loves me to objectify her regularly.

• Haha 1

On 10/11/2023 at 12:27 PM, smallchungus said:

How is Khorat and Nong Khai English wise?  Would you say Udon and Khon Kaen are the most English speaking of the 6 total I mentioned?

Udon or KKC - but I'm biased. I feel Udon is a touch more industrialized and polluted, I always get stuck in traffic jams there, but there are lots of westerners there.

I really like Buriram as a place to settle when I have visited, lots of facilities and whatever, because of the stadium and track. Places like Ubon, roi et, Yaso - no thanks, too quiet. It's been a long time since I visited Mukdahan, Nong Khai, and the town that border Laos & Mekhong, im sure they are nice, maybe a fair few westerners, but seemed to be less westernized.

The thing about UT and KKC, they have lots of flights to BKK, maybe direct flights to Chiang Mai, decent road links to Korat, and BKK - maybe not so difficult to get to Pattaya, Ko Chang. eastern seaboard. 

To the OP.  English speaking is not that common especially in the outlying areas such as Isaan.  Even after living in Bangkok.  Not many people spoke English there as you would think for a capital city.  Unless they were very well educated  or had a job that delt with many foreigners.  
You are talking about also meeting women .  Some you meet might speak a little English.  But if you want to date or have a relationship.  That will get frustrating when she doesn’t understand many things you are saying.  
My suggestion.  If you are going to move to Thailand.  Learn Thai. In a language course or something.  I wish I did instead of just learning a few basic words at that time. 

• Thanks 1

I have been to all the cities you mention and could not wait to get back to korat. But people will always say the city they live in is the best and for them like me it is, so try them all meet other westerners and try all the restaurants etc etc. I meet many English, Aussies and a few other nationalities in one of the three large shopping malls we have here and also have friends who dont like to meet that way, preffering to meet at home or restaurant. I am English and if you decide to visit Korat DM me and we will meet up for a pint/coffee/tea.

4 minutes ago, blueeyes said:

I have been to all the cities you mention and could not wait to get back to korat. But people will always say the city they live in is the best and for them like me it is, so try them all meet other westerners and try all the restaurants etc etc. I meet many English, Aussies and a few other nationalities in one of the three large shopping malls we have here and also have friends who dont like to meet that way, preffering to meet at home or restaurant. I am English and if you decide to visit Korat DM me and we will meet up for a pint/coffee/tea.

Why doesnt Korat have a proper airport? Big negative for me

On 10/11/2023 at 12:33 PM, Wanderer555 said:

Udon city has most of the required major services, shopping, and a good airport, though few distinctive features. 

I'm not recommending any particular place to live.

But among the Isan cities mentioned, based on my travels there, I'd think that Udon Thani probably has the higher relative share of English speaking/understanding Thais... though by no means universal there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Bignok.  It used to have but agree it would help if was to open again. I think the problem was it was to far out making it difficult to get to anyway.

Most, if not all, domestic flights within Thailand fly to and from Bangkok.

Korat is only 2.5 to 3 hours to/from Bangkok by road. Too close to make it worthwhile flying 

On 10/11/2023 at 12:34 PM, youreavinalaff said:

If it's an expat community you are looking for, all of the places you mention have one.

If it's real rural you are looking for, I'd say Buriram is your best bet as you don't have to travel out of town too far to get it. 

Not sure how someone can say it's " crap" when you've already explained it's rural life you want. Buriram has that in bundles.

If you are single and dedicated to living the life you say, you won't be there long before you start picking up the language. It's not that difficult to do when it's all around.

Contrary to what some on here say, locals are able to speak Thai. Sure, they will speak Isaan Laos and Khmer in the villages but you will get by perfectly well with Thai.

You might be better off travelling through and seeing which you prefer. Korat is only 3ish hours by bus from Bangkok. All other providence you mention are reachable from Korat by bus.

Khon Kaen has university, airport and high proportion of Thai speakers. The problem you will find is that in Isaan, the people speak Isaan rather than Thai, it is difficult to find teachers of Isaan, so you might never follow your gf if she visits family or friends, make sure she is not a gambler or a drinker and you will have a happy life. ????

3 minutes ago, kenjinuk said:

Khon Kaen has university, airport and high proportion of Thai speakers. The problem you will find is that in Isaan, the people speak Isaan rather than Thai, it is difficult to find teachers of Isaan, so you might never follow your gf if she visits family or friends, make sure she is not a gambler or a drinker and you will have a happy life. ????

Nonsense central Thai is taught in all schools. They all speak Thai and Isaan Lao plus some English.

• Thanks 1

I have lived in Udon Thani for 13 years, and it has everything i need. Airport on the edge of town, lots of flights, railway station, a couple of bus stations and quite a few hospitals. I find the Udon General acceptable if a bit lacking in english signage. Not many people seem to upsticks and leave.

1 hour ago, rickudon said:

I have lived in Udon Thani for 13 years, and it has everything i need. Airport on the edge of town, lots of flights, railway station, a couple of bus stations and quite a few hospitals. I find the Udon General acceptable if a bit lacking in english signage. Not many people seem to upsticks and leave.

And in recent years now has a Central Mall there that provides additional shopping and eating options.

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Nonsense central Thai is taught in all schools. They all speak Thai and Isaan Lao plus some English.

I just got back from visiting my village handyman / welder - We have these conversations, where he speaks the local village dialect, which I refuse to learn, i'm speaking Thai and using the odd bit of local language, and he's adding, in English numbers, and the odd, "odd OK, I understand" and both our wives are rolling about. Point being, people (not only AN posters) who make claims about the Issan people not speaking Thai know absolutely nothing of how it works here, it's not individual languages, it's just communication.

Central Thai is taught in all schools. BUT when the children go home, stay with family, visit Yai and Khon neighbours, they will speak and hear Isaan. When the author visits his Isaan gf, as expected my suggestion is to learn some handy Isaan phrases and words.