Expats seeking a new life face challenges with stricter banking and taxation rules being pushed

webfact

1 minute ago, The Theory said:

My guess is more to come. This is just a beginning for farang squeeze since Taksin is the gov. advisor. 

no worries, all u sexpats will suck it up and stay. u r a walking ATM after all, how many times do i need to remind u?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Let’s make Thailand the Global place to retire in.

and when we con you into coming here we will tax the chuck out of you from the the previously tax paid income you have to bring in to live here……..

Obviously someone has been reading history and decided on a Dick Turpin policy, it can’t possibly be a Robbin Hood policy as he was reputed to give back to the poor and that will never do here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alanrchase said:

I have no issues with my big bank. The issues are all due to government regulations imposed on that big bank. These new issues are all due to CRS compliance, nothing to do with the banks. Brits that used to chuckle at US citizens and the way they were treated by the IRS are now going to have to swallow the same medicine. 

Sounds like a sour sceptic ! 

Shock news - one UK bank closes the accounts of a couple of people who are not resident in the UK - just like the terms and conditions of holding an account said all along.

You can't expect anyone to have any sympathy for you if you decide to live in Thailand, or elsewhere, and do zero planning for you banking, taxation or other arrangements. There are plenty of banks and fintechs that cater to non residents and expats. The Thai RD directive isn't the sky falling down and you can structure around it quite well in most cases. You were always up for some international tax compliance by moving. 

Do I wish it was much easier? Yup. But it's not the end of the world.

34 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

The way I understand it, I paid tax on my earnings, and my national insurance was taken out of my Net earnings, so tax already paid. :unsure:

Correct, but under the double taxation treaty between the UK and Thailand Expats residing/living in Thailand can be taxed on income from the UK. State pensions maybe exempt, but private, company, disability can be taxed at 25% State pensions should be taxed at the countries tax rate, which in Thailand is 5% of any income over 150,000 per year.

14 minutes ago, csmith said:

Barclays recently closed my UK account with them …. Giving me 2 weeks notice … this advanced notice was sent by snail mail and arrived after the deadline.

I’m now in the process of trying to get the money they absorbed from my x-account.

I was a customer for over 40 years.

Their reason …. I was no longer living in the UK.

How did they figure out you were not living there? Did you have a street address forwarding service? Or did they go in and look at ATM withdrawls and transfers to a Thai account?

Edited by JimTripper

5 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Wonder how they’ll pull this off without forcing banks to disclose all incoming int’l money transfers? I will have to ask my bank. Seems like it might be hard to universally enforce this.

Thailand has joined the CRS (Common Reporting Standard)  https://www.mazars.co.th/Home/Insights/Doing-Business-in-Thailand/Tax/Automatic-Exchange-of-Information

44 minutes ago, charleskerins said:

So?   What's the alternative -boredom in your home country?

There are countries other than Thailand and your home country.

I would probably choose Philippines but I would also investigate nearby SEA countries like Indonesia and Malaysia.

Can even come back and visit Thailand frequently on a 2 hour plane trip and just stay under the tax residency number of days.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

The change in the tax code interpretation was clarified by the Director General of the Revenue Department on the 19th of September after days of clamour, with officials also announcing that a focus group had been established to deal with issues that may arise between now and the 1st of January 2024.

Srettha mentioned the focus group when the tax reinterpretation was announced just before hopping on a plane to New York to knock 'em dead. Since then the focus group idea seems to have been forgotten about.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Sounds like a sour sceptic ! 

Sour sceptic? Where is my scepticism? CRS has been on the cards since 2017 and Thailand complying with it now is no surprise. Perhaps reading up on what is involved to comply with the CRS would be of help. Thailand will be required to share the financial details of tax resident expats with the home countries of those expats. No surprise that a tax resident expat will need to file a tax return for Thailand to comply.

5 hours ago, FarAway said:

And yes the Philippines are actually quite funny, give residence-based taxation for their citizens but territorial taxation for us foreigners. They literally welcome HNWIs with open arms ????

And from what I understand those on retirement get free medical I fall under there wealthy income brackets so I should have no problems getting residency 

6 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

I am a little lost on how. climate change has anything to do with having a bank account in your home country. As Thailand is preparing for a cashless society in addition to many countries forgive me if I am a little cynical over the whole global cabal dominated governance.

The third paragraph is where i dismissed the whole article as a waste of my time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Hard to believe just a few years ago I was living there, basically with no hassles and stress free. 

Things change /update/ modify. Not always for the better. 

All countries Want/Need more tax money so they will do anything to get it from the public. Being Locals or Tourists or Foreigners . 

They call that Progress.  Not good for many people.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Mine is due to start at any time now. I will wait and see what pans out, but it looks like Cambodia may be my next stop as we live close to the border. Or will they implement it too? We will see.

If you move to the Philippines you will get your yearly OAP increase from the U.K. unlike Thailand where it’s frozen I currently miss out on £30+ per week but I can afford to take the hit I already pay to much U.K. tax on my pensions even tho I upped sticks 19 years ago

• Thanks 1