Moment Range Rover explodes before £20m multi-storey structure collapses - sparking travel chaos for up to 50,000 passengers

Social Media

image.png

This is the moment a Range Rover exploded at Luton Airport before a blaze that ripped through a car park and sparked travel chaos for thousands of passengers.

One hundred firefighters spent 12 hours battling the inferno at the airport's Terminal Car Park Two when the £20million block was engulfed by flames and caved in just before 9pm last night. 

Up to 50,000 passengers are suffering disruption at the airport, which only reopened at 3pm this afternoon, as more than 140 flights were cancelled.

Five people were taken to hospital during the fire, which was finally extinguished this morning.  

Investigators believe the blaze was started when a diesel car suffered an electrical fault or leaking fuel line.

The fire then spread as a number of electric vehicles burst into flames in a domino effect, one firefighter suggested. As many as 1,500 vehicles are feared to have been damaged.

Dramatic footage on CCTV captured the moment the explosion erupted, as light fixtures crashed from the ceiling and a fireball soared through the building. The vehicle appears to be in the middle of the track used to get around the car park, rather than a designated space.

The car park, which opened in 2019 as part of a £20million modernisation drive, did not have sprinklers. One fire chief urged the airport to install them in existing and future car parks, adding that it 'may have made a positive impact on this incident'.

He added that the building's open sides meant the fire will have spread 'horizontally' before it went up through the structure. The inferno was so hot that the car park building is unsalvageable and will eventually be demolished, sources claimed.

The temperature of the flames soared well over the 600C (1,110F) that would destroy the building's integrity, and one fire officer said it would have hit six million watts.

The contractor for the car park was Buckingham Construction, which went into administration last month with 500 jobs lost. Lancashire-based Raised Floor Solutions installed part of the floor system but had no design involvement.

It comes as devastated Britons told MailOnline how their cars went up in flames at the site - including one couple who had parked a new £48,000 Mercedes there.

Some are scrambling for parking spaces at different sites while several chain hotels including the local Marriott, Best Western and Hampton have sold out for tonight.

FULL STORY

MAILONLINE.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Sprinklers won’t put out an electric car Fire actually that’s one major problem with them they don’t have a way to put them out 

The purpose of sprinklers is not to put out fires, they are installed to prevent/slow fire flash over and hot gas accumulation/spreading, thereby giving occupants more time to escape.

The achieve this by cooling the hot gasses in the space above and around the fire.

With very few exceptions sprinklers are not required (in the UK) in unoccupied buildings, dedicated car park structures being an example.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So we should expect more serious fires in car parks, shopping malls etc. as more EV's hit the market.

That would only be true if EV’s contain more fuel for any fire that occurs.

The Energy/Fuel/Oxygen Fire Triangle for an EV has higher Energy but less fuel than an ICV which transports its energy as liquid/gas fuel.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

All fire services adapt procedures to deal with any new risks, vehicles, building, construction material, etc.

Read this from my professional body, that is why I can use FIFireE after my name.

https://www.ife.org.uk/ife-blog/tackling-fires-in-electric-vehicles-

Information from experts, not someone in a youtube video that meets your own agenda.

So you can't dispute anything in the video then? ????

No wonder you got banned under your other username. ????

Since you claim to be an ex-fireman maybe you will listen to this expert, the FDNY commissioner? Let me guess, you were more senior than that bar stool expert? ????

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/09/tech/lithium-ion-battery-fires/index.html#:~:text=“In all of these fires,and so it's particularly dangerous.”

image.png.c531f957f2287cbc3e03daa58ebd6bc0.png

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

The fires are difficult, not impossible. So are many fires.

You cannot look at one picture, which you did above and then state how right you are.

Knowledge comes from experience and research, not from finding a youtube view that meets you one sided agenda.

This is from the Liverpool link I posted, research a few.

IMG_1545.jpeg

IMG_1546.jpeg

We've already established that ICE vehicles can catch fire. That's fairly obvious. 

What I am saying is, they are easier to extinguish than EV fires. You could be a firefighter for 4000 years and that fact will not change. I have posted a video to explain why, for people like you who clearly do not understand. So if you think the YouTube video is wrong, then explain why. You can't, you just skirt around the issue with your claimed "Knowledge" and "Experience" without actually stating any facts. Why? Because you don't have any facts that contradict what I am saying. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Let's throw in a couple of alternative scenarios for the source.

• How about a stolen Range Rover being torched in the parking?
  • Or an actual terrorist attack (OK, it's Luton, maybe not)?

Either would have had the same overall result, with no sprinklers it doesn't matter what fuel the vehicles use.

I must admit my ghast being flabbered that UK regs don't require sprinklers in parking.

I have no doubt that the real reason this started will become known, eventually.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Please watch the YouTube video I posted above. You will learn a lot.

Lithium fires are incredibly hard to extiniguish.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/09/tech/lithium-ion-battery-fires/index.html#:~:text=“In all of these fires,and so it's particularly dangerous.”

image.png.60c0e7ce8be42249b4d803efbba4d749.png

I didn’t get my knowledge of the science fires or the science, or of lithium batteries from ‘YouTube’.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry but talking to you is like a 1967 Eric Sykes movie.

You do not listen to anyone, you do not want to be educated and you think you know more than everyone.

Bye, I will not waste my time.

Folded like a cheap suit as soon as facts were requested.

Up in smoke, so to speak ????.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

I didn’t get my knowledge of the science of science, or of lithium batteries from ‘YouTube’.

That's great. You can provide the links then when you disprove what's in the video.

I'm waiting...

• Sad 1