Israel's options don't look good - but a full-scale military campaign in the near future is inevitable

Social Media

13 minutes ago, Morch said:

Who is 'we'? Who do you claim to speak for? Or for that matter - what are your views on the 'questions' you raise?

And, for that matter - why is it that you are not, apparently, much interested in what the Palestinian want? What the Hamas wants?

By the word 'We', I mean people who read this thread and similar.  People who read the posts, take an interest in what is said and use it to help form their views.  Participants in these threads about the Palestinian-Israel conflict and current Hamas attrocity and aftermath.

I ask the question, because I do not know what the pro-israeli contributors see as the future for Palestinians. 

Its a question !   You ask me to answer it ?  

(I think you are implying I am a Hamas fan-boy, but I'll ignore that as a misunderstanding)

Answers to what Israeli's want might include things like a one-state solution, a two-state solution, or the migration of palestinians to a different part of the World.

I asked a question, do you have an reply ?   

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Can I follow up this view with a question aimed at the contributors here who stand out, based on their many posts, as definitely pro-hamas/Palestine.  I think we can all list them.

Can I ask this:

We know you want Israel to stop attacking hamas and to be just be targets.  We know you probably support that all lands river to sea be given over to hamas/Palestine.  And you want hamas/Palestine to live in a peaceful state, free from attacks from religious nut-case Zionists.  OK, some variant of that.

So what do you want to be the Israelis  future ?  There's approx 7m of them in area Israel controls, total 16m worldwide.

What do pro-hamas/Palestine folk want their future to be? Kill then all or just kill the men and force the women to be sex-slaves?

Sorry, Can you give a clear and direct answer to my question.  Not some very clever joke/attempt at being clever.

The question is, what do the pro-israeli contributors here want the future of Palestinians to be ?

Clear enough question I think.

3 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

Sorry, Can you give a clear and direct answer to my question.  Not some very clever joke/attempt at being clever.

The question is, what do the pro-israeli contributors here want the future of Palestinians to be ?

I think they would like nothing more than to live in peace and harmony with the Palestinians and the world.

Now you...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

By the word 'We', I mean people who read this thread and similar.  People who read the posts, take an interest in what is said and use it to help form their views.  Participants in these threads about the Palestinian-Israel conflict and current Hamas attrocity and aftermath.

I ask the question, because I do not know what the pro-israeli contributors see as the future for Palestinians. 

Its a question !   You ask me to answer it ?  

(I think you are implying I am a Hamas fan-boy, but I'll ignore that as a misunderstanding)

Answers to what Israeli's want might include things like a one-state solution, a two-state solution, or the migration of palestinians to a different part of the World.

I asked a question, do you have an reply ?   

Making it a 'we' rather than 'I' is placing yourself as speaking for a group. It's a basic debate tactic.

You ask a question as to what others think. How about sharing what you think first? How you see 'the future for Palestinians'? 

I'm not implying. I've already said you're dodgy on an another topic. New account, starting off with I-don't-know-so-much-about-this then continue to post either pro-Palestinian comments, or 'asking questions' - see here: Just Asking Questions. Since I've been on this forum for a long time, and took part in more topics like this than you have posts, I can safely say there's that strange feeling of Déjà vu. 

And before you try to make this about not having a reply etc. - see above. I've discussed these issues multiple times on multiple topics.

It's not me, it's you.

Edited by Morch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:35 AM, ThaiFelix said:

One thing for sure is Israel will end up stealing more land from the Palestinians and the rest of the world will look the other way.

I feel Hamas has bitten off far more than it can handle but then what alternative does a hunted beast have when cornered?

I've learned a lot since Oct 7. I didn't know the UN and Amnesty International both say there is Apartheid in Israel. 

Surely being pro-Israel is being pro Apartheid. 

No one can condone what some Hamas did but what Israel have being doing to Palestinians and are currently doing, is criminal and should not be supported. 

I don't know the answer but say Israel should equal rights to Palestinians and give them back the land that was stolen through discriminatory laws. 

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/campaigns/2022/02/israels-system-of-apartheid/

https://news.un.org/en/story/2022/03/1114702

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Morch said:

Making it a 'we' rather than 'I' is placing yourself as speaking for a group. It's a basic debate tactic.

You ask a question as to what others think. How about sharing what you think first? How you see 'the future for Palestinians'? 

I'm not implying. I've already said you're dodgy on an another topic. New account, starting off with I-don't-know-so-much-about-this then continue to post either pro-Palestinian comments, or 'asking questions' - see here: Just Asking Questions. Since I've been on this forum for a long time, and took part in more topics like this than you have posts, I can safely say there's that strange feeling of Déjà vu. 

And before you try to make this about not having a reply etc. - see above. I've discussed these issues multiple times on multiple topics.

It's not me, it's you.

Thanks for reply, even if it questions my authenticity, my motives, on this forum.

I'll change the 'we' to 'I', to help this topic along.  As you say maybe no other contributor is interested in the question I posed.

You refer to other posts, and I did make an effort with a lengthy reply to state my position.  Quite correctly, you identify I do hold a pro-palestinian position on most issues here.  Quite common among brits with a university background in the 70's/80's.

So does that establish some degree of legitmacy for you. To see I am not trolling or a Hamas supporter.

I'll add, I deplore Hamas's recent attrocities, and also support Israel's right to exist and defend itself. (not quite so sure about attacking as a means of defence however). That's easy to say, not a problem.

So I've taken my time to hopefully convince you.  Ok ? Sufficient.

As I replied to another post, I do not have an answer to the question.  Its why I asked it.

Please answer, what do the pro-israeli guys here want the future of Palestine to be ?  Its not a trick question.  

Edited by deejai33
  • Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

Let them do whatever they want to do , just accept Israel's existence  and stop waging war and get on with their own lives 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

Thanks for reply, even if it questions my authenticity, my motives, on this forum.

I'll change the 'we' to 'I', to help this topic along.  As you say maybe no other contributor is interested in the question I posed.

You refer to other posts, and I did make an effort with a lengthy reply to state my position.  Quite correctly, you identify I do hold a pro-palestinian position on most issues here.  Quite common among brits with a university background in the 70's/80's.

So does that establish some degree of legitmacy for you. To see I am not trolling or a Hamas supporter.

I'll add, I deplore Hamas's recent attrocities, and also support Israel's right to exist and defend itself. (not quite so sure about attacking as a means of defence however). That's easy say, not a problem.

So I've taken my time to hopefully convince you.  Ok ? Sufficient.

As I replied to another post, I do not have an answer to the question.  Its why I asked it.

Please answer, what do the pro-israeli guys here want the future of Palestine to be ?  Its not a trick question.  

I think the pro-Israeli guys here would like nothing more than for Palestinian to live in peace and harmony with Israel.

What do the pro-palestine guys here want the future of Israel to be? It's not a trick question. 

4 hours ago, deejai33 said:

See reply I made just now.  In London protest, police said they would arrest anyone voicing hamas support.  10 arrests were made, probably not hamas related. But surely a tiny proportion of 100,000.

It only needs 1 bad apple to spoil the bag of Apples.

16 hours ago, placnx said:

I thought more about the difficulties of Palestinians to organize. Among the simple, non-intellectual, people I think that there's an attitude of fatalism. Here's a current example of how people react to intimidation: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/21/the-most-successful-land-grab-strategy-since-1967-as-settlers-push-bedouins-off-west-bank-territory

Indeed. Given the Palestinians have the options of resisting and getting shot by the israelis, demonstrating and getting arrested by the israelis, or accepting the situation, most will become fatalistic.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Who's banging on about a ceasefire to allow Aid into Gaza ?

Last I heard was 38 trucks were allowed in, while 100 a day are actually required, so yes more aid needs to be allowed in, and a ceasefire needs to happen unless the israelis want to find themselves fighting on multiple fronts. The world has been watching, and the world is not amused, and the world is stirring against israel.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Last I heard was 38 trucks were allowed in, while 100 a day are actually required, so yes more aid needs to be allowed in, and a ceasefire needs to happen unless the israelis want to find themselves fighting on multiple fronts. The world has been watching, and the world is not amused, and the world is stirring against israel.

So why does not the world provide 100 trucks a day? 

In any event, most of the western world supports Israel and sees Palestine's hamas for the terrorists they are and would like to see them eradicated. You seem to think it morally superior to allow Palestine's hamas to indiscriminately kill Jews with rockets. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Hamas could release the hostages to secure such a ceasefire.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In all fairness, if the IDF goes in and is defeated, it will not just end Netanyahu's career, it could be the end of Israel, and a lot of people would like nothing better. 

I don't think failure to meet goals would necessarily be a 'defeat' as such, but could certainly be painted so. Israel will not 'end' even if nothing happens and things remain as they are. This is not currently a situation in which Israel is faced with utter destruction or anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Morch said:

I don't think failure to meet goals would necessarily be a 'defeat' as such, but could certainly be painted so. Israel will not 'end' even if nothing happens and things remain as they are. This is not currently a situation in which Israel is faced with utter destruction or anything.

I believe truly eradicating hamas and stabilizing Gaza will take years of actual military occupation after the initial months of bloodbath. 

I further believe "the media" has a lot more power in this than they are given credit for, they have no accountability, and they generally hate Israel. Even in the US here (I think) about 60-80% of Americans support Israel, the leaves 20-40% that would vote to give Israel over to hamas, 

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I believe truly eradicating hamas and stabilizing Gaza will take years of actual military occupation after the initial months of bloodbath. 

I further believe "the media" has a lot more power in this than they are given credit for, they have no accountability, and they generally hate Israel. Even in the US here (I think) about 60-80% of Americans support Israel, the leaves 20-40% that would vote to give Israel over to hamas, 

Yeah - so even if the world puts up with it, unclear is Israelis would. A lot of them may be all gung ho about it now. As a long term proposition, including occupation and management of the Gaza Strip, not so much. Been there done that.

The media has a lot more power in what? How?

2 hours ago, Morch said:

Yeah - so even if the world puts up with it, unclear is Israelis would. A lot of them may be all gung ho about it now. As a long term proposition, including occupation and management of the Gaza Strip, not so much. Been there done that.

If after a while a ceasefire happened leaving Hamas in place, various countries in concert might force a transition to a new Gaza government, perhaps through elections, as a counterpart to their providing big reconstruction aid. The alternative where Israel finds itself in control of Gaza might be problematical for handing off to a third party. No local actor(s) would like to be seen as collaborating and dealing with what would likely be much more damage than we see currently.

Media reaction reflects local attitudes, so in some countries there may be red lines in different places in regard to humanitarian issues, for example. In the US Fox News can certainly manipulate opinion of a significant share of the population, but again those people have their general preconceptions, so Fox just works to concentrate the mind to react regarding the news item 'du jour' they choose to headline. Last week Sean Hannity was telling viewers to harass congressmen who were resisting the selection of Jim Jordan as Speaker of the House. It backfired.

https://www.wsj.com/politics/policy/pressure-campaign-by-jim-jordan-supporters-backfires-in-house-speaker-race-92779873

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Yeah - so even if the world puts up with it...

Which it may not...

4 hours ago, Morch said:

...unclear is Israelis would. A lot of them may be all gung ho about it now. As a long term proposition, including occupation and management of the Gaza Strip, not so much. Been there done that.

WIth over a thousand dead and over 200 taken as hostages support is strong. Once people's kids start coming home in body-bags and it drags on with no end in sight, they'll tire of it...

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Shaping public opinion, which (more than ever) shapes policy.

1 hour ago, placnx said:

If after a while a ceasefire happened leaving Hamas in place, various countries in concert might force a transition to a new Gaza government, perhaps through elections, as a counterpart to their providing big reconstruction aid. The alternative where Israel finds itself in control of Gaza might be problematical for handing off to a third party. No local actor(s) would like to be seen as collaborating and dealing with what would likely be much more damage than we see currently.

Yeah, and if a rainbow came down over doves carrying a banner saying "Peace on Earth" everyone might throw down their arms and embrace their enemies. 

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Media reaction reflects local attitudes, so in some countries there may be red lines in different places in regard to humanitarian issues, for example. In the US Fox News can certainly manipulate opinion of a significant share of the population, but again those people have their general preconceptions, so Fox just works to concentrate the mind to react regarding the news item 'du jour' they choose to headline. Last week Sean Hannity was telling viewers to harass congressmen who were resisting the selection of Jim Jordan as Speaker of the House. It backfired.

https://www.wsj.com/politics/policy/pressure-campaign-by-jim-jordan-supporters-backfires-in-house-speaker-race-92779873

Or when The New York Times claims Israel has bombed a hospital and killed 500 innocents and then takes a week to walk it back.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 hours ago, Morch said:

I don't question your authenticity or your motives.  There's no need to. When someone pops on these topics claiming they are on neither side, and do-not-know-much-about-it, and later on says no-I'm-actually-pro-this-or-that, and apparently not quite clueless as pretended - that sort of answers them questions. Again, nothing new. Been there, seen that. No creativity cookie points.

The 'we' think? Let me spell it out for you, and others. When you lump together all 'pro-Israel' posters vs. some general 'we' that's one thing. When you do that while you're pro-Palestinian, what you're actually trying to do is co-opt everyone participating or reading the topic as being 'we', and vs. them 'pro-Israeli' posters. Again, very basic debate stuff. And again, no points.

I have zero interest in where you're from. It's almost irrelevant. People here hold all sorts of view, regardless of their nationality. Some of the most critical USA commentary comes from Americans and so on.

And you are most definitely trolling. Your posts display a rather more in-depth knowledge with related facts, history and so on, then you come on with them JAQ posts. All the more so when you're actually 'for' one of the sides. Not a particularly honest way of discussing things.

Don't have an answer? Really? Do you realize that it's quite easy to review your posting history? The level of detail in which replied to other posts would suggest you're just dodging the question. No problems opining on the state of roads in the West Bank, the Palestinian elections and so on. It would be almost inconceivable that someone would label himself pro-Palestinian while at the same time claiming ignorance or not being able to articulate thoughts about their 'future'.

Me trolling ?  Clearly I do not.

Again you want me to answer the question which I posed to pro-israeli contributers.  I am not pro-israeli, so I cannot answer the question.  Seems sensible to me.   

I asked the question sincerely.   I am interested to know, in detail, how the pro-israeli folk see the future for the palestinians.  Seems important to have a detailed view as its the israeli's, with unwavering US backing, that call the shots, make the decisions.  

These Israel-Palestine threads contain so much hostility from the pro-israeli contributors, I am reluctant to make posts.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, and if a rainbow came down over doves carrying a banner saying "Peace on Earth" everyone might throw down their arms and embrace their enemies. 

Or when The New York Times claims Israel has bombed a hospital and killed 500 innocents and then takes a week to walk it back.

As others suggested, in Israel the mood could change for various reasons and the generals could not follow through with their (and Netanyahu's) plan to eradicate Hamas. So I suggested that Hamas could be made to give up power by external actors who would see that a political alternative replaced Hamas. There would still remain the question of a security force so that remnants of Hamas could not stage a coup.

Edited by placnx

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Which it may not...

WIth over a thousand dead and over 200 taken as hostages support is strong. Once people's kids start coming home in body-bags and it drags on with no end in sight, they'll tire of it...

Shaping public opinion, which (more than ever) shapes policy.

The last bit is vague - it can cut whichever way, and it doesn't explain or support the original comment.

18 minutes ago, placnx said:

As others suggested, in Israel the mood could change for various reasons and the generals could not follow through with their (and Netanyahu's) plan to eradicate Hamas. So I suggested that Hamas could be made to give up power by external actors who would see that a political alternative replaced Hamas. There would still remain the question of a security force so that remnants of Hamas could not stage a coup.

You 'suggested' but neglected to explain how Hamas could be 'made to give up power', by whom, and in who's favor.

• Thumbs Up 2