Gun Control Laws to Be Amended

snoop1130

1697087132_532852-tnamcot-768x512.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 12 (TNA) – The government is preparing to amend the legislation governing firearm possession to make it more suitable, said Deputy Interior Minister Chada Thaiseth.

Simultaneously, they are in the process of compiling a list of influential figures, with plans to complete this task by the end of the month.

This move came after the killing of a highway police officer during a dinner party at the house of Praween “Kamnan Nok” Chankhlai on September 6.

Full story: Thai News Agency 2023-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Simultaneously, they are in the process of compiling a list of influential figures, with plans to complete this task by the end of the month.

" Influential figures " will be closely investigated ...?

Somebody influential will set up this list , I guess ?

Perfect to get rid of rivals .

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

They just need to allow all Americans to have the same protection they have in the United States. It’s obvious that Thailand is dangerous and more dead thugs will drive the point home.

Following the attitudes of Americans re gun control is the last thing Thailand needs.

Americas attitudes to gun control puts the US at the top of the list with a massive gap to second position re deaths of children, mass shootings etc.

There's plenty of good examples of gun control laws in many other countries which emphasise reducing and even outlawing guns in the hands of the public.  And in these countries the number of deaths and mass shootings by members of the public are close to zero.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Following the attitudes of Americans re gun control is the last thing Thailand needs.

Americas attitudes to gun control puts the US at the top of the list with a massive gap to second position re deaths of children, mass shootings etc.

There's plenty of good examples of gun control laws in many other countries which emphasise reducing and even outlawing guns in the hands of the public.  And in these countries the number of deaths and mass shootings by members of the public are close to zero.

I add, In my original country the public like and want laws which prohibit guns being in the hands of the general public. Twice, over several decades, there's been 2 amnesties enourgaing the public to hand in handguns and rifles at designated local police stations and on the spot the weapon rendered unuseable forever. 

Both amnesties had strong support of the public with many weapons being handed in. Plus praise in the media / public arena for the gov't taking the amnesty policy and action.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What can the law change, considering that most of the guns being passed around are non declared and pass through underground networks ?

OK, but if the gov't is serious they can and must find a way. 

If caught with an unlicensed gun 30 days mandatory jail might help, but of course that depends on 'who' is involved in the process. 

But there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If caught with an unlicensed gun 30 days mandatory jail might help, but of course that depends on 'who' is involved in the process. 

You are so right. But the point could be not to skin the cat, but to catch it in the first place.

• Like 1

I've said this before on AN, but from the time I lived in USA, I agree with the NRA slogan "If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns"

That certainly applies here in UK where guns are pretty much outlawed but gun crime is increasing.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

You do realize this is Thailand ? How's the mandatory helmet law working ?

• Haha 1

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chada-thaised-ferocious-opponent-of-pitas-pm-bid-has-a-dark-and-violence-racked-history/

Chada is the perfect choice to work on death lists of gangsters appointed as kamnans by the interior minister and on gun control. He is an expert on gangsters and illegal use of guns. One of his sons was killed in a road rage incident after both sons opened fire on a pick up truck that overtook them.  They got a big surprise when the pick up truck driver pulled out a gun himself and fired back with greater accuracy and got Chada's son in the head. The PBS article has a different take that the pick up truck driver was an assassin hired to kill Chada but that makes little sense.  The people in Chada's car fired at least 10 shots before the pick up truck driver opened fire, according to forensic reports.  What a person to have in public office  but a good match with the drug smuggler agriculture ministry.

There Always be guns and crimes with guns no matter the gun laws.

I would be happy that one could defend oneself at home to protect wife and daughter from a criminal burglar/ Killer/Rapist and be aloud to shoot the B@stard

I would anyway aloud or not .

1 hour ago, findlay13 said:

You do realize this is Thailand ? How's the mandatory helmet law working ?

Of course, I've lived / worked in Thailand 35+ years and I've been a Permanent Resident of Thailand for over 27 years.

I agree, getting all motorcycle riders and their pillion passengers to wear safety helmets is not a success story but that's because of a lack of will by the police / authorities on strict enforcement and punishment.

That doesn't mean that dialogue and discussion should cease.

It must continue and hopefully soon there will be more attention to these matters (but I'm not holding my breath).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

Of course, I've lived / worked in Thailand 35+ years and I've been a Permanent Resident of Thailand for over 27 years.

I agree, getting all motorcycle riders and their pillion passengers to wear safety helmets is not a success story but that's because of a lack of will by the police / authorities on strict enforcement and punishment.

That doesn't mean that dialogue and discussion should cease.

It must continue and hopefully soon there will be more attention to these matters (but I'm not holding my breath).

Grab, Food Panda ect seem to be able to get their riders to wear helmets so I think you're right that it's a lack of will.  Plus of course there's the loss of money.

• Thumbs Up 1