Mall shooting unlikely to impact Thai tourism, but other factors could rain on the parade

webfact

16 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Chinese anycase do not spend much. They also often carry their own groceries in their luggage and chose guest houses with kitchens.

Chinese tourists also book and pay for almost everything in China before they leave. Their "contribution to the economy" baffles me. They speand very little.

49 minutes ago, atpeace said:

They dwarf any other country in total money spent.  believe what you want I guess.

Correct--and, no matter how many times this fact is posted, it's just ignored as it does not fit what they want to believe.  Also true, and also ignored, in 2019 the majority of Chinese tourists were not in tour groups, budget or otherwise.  Instead, over 60% were traveling independently that year.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Thousands of Chinese losing their employment as businesses go bankrupt, factories closing almost daily, cities becoming ghost-towns... condos and apartments empty from what used to be full of workers.

They've had to return to home towns to seek work.

China is slowly imploding... and TAT think China is still Thailands tourism saviour.

T

wo weeks ago,  USA CitiBank and USA J Morgan Bank raised their projection of China 2023 GDP growth from below 5.0%  to 5.0%. 

Sorry to disappoint you who specialized in writing bad news rhetoric for Thailand and for China.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter if the Chinese economy goes up or down by small percentage numbers, they are still, by far, the biggest segment of the tourist industry.  China would have to implode into stark chaos before they would lose that status.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, LALes said:

It doesn't matter if the Chinese economy goes up or down by small percentage numbers, they are still, by far, the biggest segment of the tourist industry.  China would have to implode into stark chaos before they would lose that status.

I have no idea how some posters don't understand this and I would bet the average Chinese here spends much more than the average Ex-pat.  There shear numbers does create many frustrating situations for us ex-pats but doesn't alter the fact that their impact on the Thai economy is far greater than retirees.  I moved because of them years ago but this doesn't make them bad people or cheap.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

The security staff at public venues could be beefed up with sufficient staff and metal dector gates to avoid queues. Proper checks should be make in fast but professionnal manner on all (and not only on some targetted stereotypes). Human amok does not have a colour or a specific type.

Edited by observer90210

18 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

The security staff at public venues could be beefed up with sufficient staff and metal dector gates to avoid queues. Proper checks should be make in fast but professionnal manner on all (and not only on some targetted stereotypes). Human amok does not have a colour or a specific type.

That doesn't make much economic sense but is exactly what governments implement.  How many lives saved and at what cost. If I had time I could think of a thousand other things that would be more economically viable and therefore safe more lives and reduce suffering,  Probably worth a few votes though... 

17 hours ago, sscc said:

T

wo weeks ago,  USA CitiBank and USA J Morgan Bank raised their projection of China 2023 GDP growth from below 5.0%  to 5.0%. 

Sorry to disappoint you who specialized in writing bad news rhetoric for Thailand and for China.  

And where do USA City bank and JPMorgan get their figures from to project Chinas GDP growth...?

Chinese CCP accountants?