Government to trial 4 am closing for Thailand’s nightlife venues

webfact

16 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

12pm is midnight once it goes past its AM.

Midnight is 12am in my understanding. But I usually go by whether it is day or night to decide. Unless I was up in Scandinavia.

Edited by KannikaP

22 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Staying Sukhumvit soi 11.......I think the bars and clubs have started these trials a little in advance of the announcement

LOL, no doubt. I think this may have been going on far in advance for this new trial. I don't think it will be too difficult to predict what results this trial will have. Possiblly more money for the night clubs and staff but more than likely a lot more trouble with drunks causing all manner of trouble in the wee hours of the morning.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Sad 1

Maybe they do surveys of tourists to identify things that can be improved? And maybe a significant number of tourists expressed an interest in entertainment venues remaining open later? And maybe more tourists will come to Thailand because of the late-night entertainment opportunities?

But I doubt it.

This is being pushed by the operators of these venues. And that's fine. Just don't pretend it's about "tourism".

My concern is that folks who work in these establishments are not exploited. Pay them more than minimum wage, pay 1.5x for the extra two hours. Provide extra for transportation (home after work when transpo options may be limited).

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

My concern is that folks who work in these establishments are not exploited. Pay them more than minimum wage, pay 1.5x for the extra two hours. Provide extra for transportation (home after work when transpo options may be limited).

pay 1.5x for the extra two hours. Provide extra for transportation

Dreaming, right?

The dancers already earn over minimum wage and have done so for a long time, though poorly frequented places may not be able to do so.

17 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's not about needing to drink 24 hours. It just gives people more freedom of choice. A lot of Europeans are used to having dinner at 9-10pm. And a lot of Thais work shifts that go beyond that. It doesn't leave a lot of time for partying with current bar restrictions. 

And tourists don't want to be treated like children. They don't want to see the BiB patrolling bars at 2am making them feel uncomfortable. At 4am it's more acceptable. 

Is it not 11pm in UK, unless it's a World Cup, or a new King.

And you think it is more 'acceptable' for the cops to kick you out at 4pm, not 2pm. 

Edited by KannikaP

Oh man !! many of my sour overaged fellow grouches here have not been to Ibiza or other party islands ? neither to some top europe destinations where the clubs close at 5 or 6 am and then you have the "after parties" that last till noon.

Of course it can have inconveniences to close so late with all the drunks or drugs.

But it could help the economy as the  hookers in the clubs in Bankgkok (that means almost all the women in a dance club)  would have a bit more time to find a hansum drunk falang to pay some high absurd rate,  for the "private service" back in the farang's hotel room.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch

19 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

It's not about needing to drink 24 hours. It just gives people more freedom of choice. A lot of Europeans are used to having dinner at 9-10pm. And a lot of Thais work shifts that go beyond that. It doesn't leave a lot of time for partying with current bar restrictions. 

And tourists don't want to be treated like children. They don't want to see the BiB patrolling bars at 2am making them feel uncomfortable. At 4am it's more acceptable. 

Very true, but don't worry, the Bib will be waiting for the tourists at 4 am and see how they can harass to make some tea money on the wee and dark corners of Sukhumvit.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you have your opinion because....................................?

You have no idea of what I did back in the day before Thailand was ruined by Thaksin.

What's the secret? I posed a legitimate question. Where did you get your stats?

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Is it not 11pm in UK, unless it's a World Cup, or a new King.

And you think it is more 'acceptable' for the cops to kick you out at 4pm, not 2pm. 

In the UK it's not a blanket rule. Some bars are licensed till 1am, some 4am. A lot of bog standard pubs close at 11pm.

But you don't have gangs of old bill going round making sure bars have closed. They're too busy breaking up fights in kebab shops ????

• Haha 1

Most people do not really need the 2 extra hours, unless they are just in 

Thailand for the night life, for a couple weeks and back to work. The ages 20 to 40 single

guy crowd, of course may actually enjoy the extra time to get sh*t faces, but most people

come to Thailand for enjoyment of day and night time activities, in which some sleep is required.

In My Opinion.

On 10/13/2023 at 1:29 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

It is common in Europe for venues to be open until dawn. People from there might come to Thailand to have fun and wonder why they can't stay out as long as they do at home if they want to. Combine that with the bizarre alcohol laws - hours you can buy, bar closures for various reasons that have nothing to do with tourists or any other non-Thais ....

Business people and commuters in Thailand don't want to be walking to their place of business and have to negotiate drunks and hookers, that is why zoning laws were introduced into Bangkok and the hours restricted. The bars may have been closing at 2am  but the pop ups were littering the sidewalk for several hours after, now there's going to be both? This wont end well and wont last. For example, I believe the UOB head office was persuaded to move to lower Suckie, next the The Landmark, do you really think they will want to stay.

Edited by Mike Lister
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/13/2023 at 11:58 AM, circa02 said:

A lot of 18-35s do enjoy the late nightlife and few would be deemed the phrase you use, and 4am beyond is pretty normal, when mixing in a club etc.., for reference you generally spend as much in the last hour as you did in the first six hours, it's up to the venues to declare the tax not the customer..  Don't under-estimate the knock-on effect a vibrant nightlife can have on an economy in places like Bangkok, Pattaya and Koh Samui,

Ok, but then social security should not cover alcohol related ailments.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I'm all for it!  Let the bars stay open until 4am or even 6am.  I'm not the big late night party guy anymore.  Don't go out to the farang bar areas that much either but when I do I'm usually home by midnight.  It won't really affect me that much.

Although I may be disgruntled if I try to visit  at my usual 8-9pm and they are not open yet!

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Try 6am - nothing like cracking  into sunlight out a club with people at the bus stop after an all-nighter...projectile vomiting into the road.

Oh yea, How can you have fun without that!! Boy I miss those days NOT!!

16 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Oh man !! many of my sour overaged fellow grouches here have not been to Ibiza or other party islands ? neither to some top europe destinations where the clubs close at 5 or 6 am and then you have the "after parties" that last till noon.

Of course it can have inconveniences to close so late with all the drunks or drugs.

But it could help the economy as the  hookers in the clubs in Bankgkok (that means almost all the women in a dance club)  would have a bit more time to find a hansum drunk falang to pay some high absurd rate,  for the "private service" back in the farang's hotel room.

The huberous of the young. Wow old are you? Economic projections based on sophomoric conjecture! You will fit right in here! LOL

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

and you have your opinion because....................................?

You have no idea of what I did back in the day before Thailand was ruined by Thaksin.

Did you wear a Ninja outfit and peer into the club windows from dark alleys? Are you Batman?

Edited by likerdup1