TM.30 reporting requirement change(?)

Actually, I should be satisfied with the explanations of @Liquorice, because they are well researched logical arguments that also make sense.

But like @mran66 I am unsettled on the one hand by the report of the Pattaya Mail and on the other hand by various experiences during the annual immigration visits, because unfortunately we were already confronted there several times with "spontaneous surprises", which were not always logical and comprehensible.

In this respect I am inclined to start a new TM30 application before the next extension in December ... on the other hand it worries me that I could wake "sleeping dogs" here and the shot backfires. ????

3 hours ago, zenobit said:

In this respect I am inclined to start a new TM30 application before the next extension in December ... on the other hand it worries me that I could wake "sleeping dogs" here and the shot backfires. ????

It won't backfire.
I'm sure in the past your wife probably signed a TM30, not realising the receipt was supposed to be stapled in your passport as evidence of filing.
I see this kind of thing happening all the time at my IO. The wife takes the front seat dealing with the IO, whilst the alien sits behind, just signing forms when requested. 

Just file a TM30 as an update to get a receipt.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zenobit said:

If you're that concerned, why not take along a TM30 completed by your wife when you next apply for an annual extension, but only produce it, together with her tabien baan and ID card (originals + copies as previously advised), if IMM specifically ask for it?

You might need to brace yourself for the possibiity of being hit with a small fine (typically 800 THB or thereabouts), but, depending on how long ago you last stayed away from your current address, this would be a risk you might have to run by filing a completed TM30 sooner rather than later in any event.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, mran66 said:

Now the news in Pattaya Mail (https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/chonburi-immigration-bureau-tightens-address-reporting-442911) took me by surprise when saw it, and consequently went to do the new TM30, with explanations that indicate that the 2020 regulation would have been voided (i.e need to re-do TM30 if need to deal with immigration)

But is there an actual formal new regulation issued for the change to go back to the pre-2020 where you would need to do this every time you enter the country? Or is this just a haphazard implementation change without any formal regulatory change that is different in different immigration offices? 

Based on that Pattaya Mail article it does sound like Pattaya-Jomtien and Sri Racha Immigration offices have made a "procedural" change which contradicts the Gazetted rules from 2020.

must now have a TM30 immigration receipt in their passport issued after their most recent entry to Thailand by air or land or sea. A TM30 receipt issued before the last entry to Thailand will be regarded as out-of-date and no longer acceptable.

The article goes on to say that 

Foreigners in other areas of Thailand need to check the specific regulations of TM30 in operation there.

So this new procedure may not apply in every office?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Based on that Pattaya Mail article it does sound like Pattaya-Jomtien and Sri Racha Immigration offices have made a "procedural" change which contradicts the Gazetted rules from 2020.

must now have a TM30 immigration receipt in their passport issued after their most recent entry to Thailand by air or land or sea. A TM30 receipt issued before the last entry to Thailand will be regarded as out-of-date and no longer acceptable.

The article goes on to say that 

Foreigners in other areas of Thailand need to check the specific regulations of TM30 in operation there.

I personally think that we need to await specific reports on here from anyone who has actually been required to file a fresh TM30 at Jomtien upon their return from foreign trips, before deciding whether or not any procedural change has been made at that particular office. How reliable a track record does the Pattaya Mail have when it comes to accurate (or otherwise) reporting?

That said, Jomtien do have previous form when it comes to rogue requirements, as stated by @Liquorice. For instance, in the case of non-O conversions for retirement they require supporting 800k bank balances to be seasoned for 2 months, in contravention of the official rules stating that no such seasoning is necessary. And when it comes to regular annual retirement extension applications based on 800k in the bank they require applicants to return 3 months to the day later with concrete evidence that their account balances haven't dipped a single satang below the 800k minimum in the meantime.

Edited by OJAS

21 hours ago, Liquorice said:

Just file a TM30 as an update to get a receipt.

Final question: If my wife (as my landlord) were to apply for a TM30 before my next visa extension, which of these two seemingly identical online platforms would be the right one?  ????

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE FOR FOREIGNERS (1)
or
NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE FOR FOREIGNERS (2)

16 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

90 days reporting 16 Oct: no TM30 in passport required

13 hours ago, zenobit said:

Final question: If my wife (as my landlord) were to apply for a TM30 before my next visa extension, which of these two seemingly identical online platforms would be the right one?  ????

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE FOR FOREIGNERS (1)
or
NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE FOR FOREIGNERS (2)

Both links are for the TM30 website.

Use the first link to register for a userid & password for the TM30 system.. 

Use the second link to login and submit a TM30 once you have a userid & password. You can also register via the second link which will take you to the first link.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, zenobit said:

You don't apply for a TM30, as you would an extension, you submit a TM30 to notify Immigration of the residence of an alien.

If you're struggling to understand the online site, you can complete a TM30 by hand and submit it in person.
TM30-Notification of alien residence.pdf 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 9:25 AM, Liquorice said:

You don't apply for a TM30, as you would an extension, you submit a TM30 to notify Immigration of the residence of an alien.

Does it actually matter WHEN the TM30 is submitted via the online platform in connection with the upcoming visa extension? 🤔

In other words: I have to appear for the visa extension in Jomtien in mid-December. Could my wife also submit the TM30 on the website as early as next week, or are there again rules that must be followed?

32 minutes ago, zenobit said:

Does it actually matter WHEN the TM30 is submitted via the online platform in connection with the upcoming visa extension? 🤔

In other words: I have to appear for the visa extension in Jomtien in mid-December. Could my wife also submit the TM30 on the website as early as next week, or are there again rules that must be followed?

The TM30 can (indeed, should) be submitted as soon as possible after your arrival at the property.

The official rule (which is not usually strictly enforced) is that the TM30 notification be submitted within 24 hours of your arrival. If this is your permanent address in Thailand, the TM30 notification typically only needs to be made once. However, a few offices will insist that a new TM30 notification is mandatory whenever you return from a trip.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to take another look at the "Pattaya Mail" report that started the discussion here over a week ago, and was astonished to find that the report has since been taken off the site and is no longer available:

chonburi-immigration-bureau-tightens-address-reporting

Honestly, all the answers I can think of as to why the report suddenly disappeared without comment make "Pattaya News" seem very unserious. 🙄

Could contain:

Edited by zenobit

9 minutes ago, zenobit said:

Just wanted to take another look at the "Pattaya Mail" report that started the discussion here over a week ago, and was astonished to find that the report has since been taken off the site and is no longer available:

chonburi-immigration-bureau-tightens-address-reporting

Honestly, all the answers I can think of as to why the report suddenly disappeared without comment make "Pattaya News" seem very unserious. 🙄

Could contain:

That's funny!

Anyway the youtube channel Integrity Legal is still saying this rule change is for real. 

That a TM30 receipt in your passport is needed for any and all immigration services including extensions and that TM30 must dated AFTER your last entry into Thailand.

I had a relevant recent experience with this.

I'm a condo owner that lives in my condo.

I had NEVER filed a TM30 myself and was never asked for one over many many years living here.

So I got this news and as I have an extension coming up, I freaked out.

So I went in to Jomtien and did file for my first time. I expected there to be a fine. Daresay I probably deserved it. But happily no fine.

So I asked the obvious questions?

Do I need to file a new TM30 if I stay at a hotel in Thailand? As expected, no.

Do I need to file a new TM30 if I leave and reenter Thailand? Surprisingly no. But pay attention -- ONLY because I was an owner occupant of my home.

But keep in mind this was at the TM30 desk.

Maybe they don't know about changes yet for sure or don't care because it's not their desk. 

Maybe the desks where you actually do other than TM30 services WILL start following the rule. 

I don't know. I doubt anyone here does either.

So wait and see and see how this shakes out from future reports.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's funny!

Anyway the youtube channel Integrity Legal is still saying this rule change is for real. 

That a TM30 receipt in your passport is needed for any and all immigration services including extensions and that TM30 must dated AFTER your last entry into Thailand.

I had a relevant recent experience with this.

I'm a condo owner that lives in my condo.

I had NEVER filed a TM30 myself and was never asked for one over many many years living here.

So I got this news and as I have an extension coming up, I freaked out.

So I went in to Jomtien and did file for my first time. I expected there to be a fine. Daresay I probably deserved it. But happily no fine.

So I asked the obvious questions?

Do I need to file a new TM30 if I stay at a hotel in Thailand? As expected, no.

Do I need to file a new TM30 if I leave and reenter Thailand? Surprisingly no. But pay attention -- ONLY because I was an owner occupant of my home.

Maybe they don't know about changes yet for sure or don't care because it's not their desk. 

Maybe the desks where you actually do other than TM30 services WILL start following the rule. 

I don't know. I doubt anyone here does either.

So wait and see and see how this shakes out from future reports.

Thanks.

I didn't pick up the same message from the Integrity Legal You Tube video .... am I watching the right video?

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I went to the very same TM30 desk after reading the very same PM story, and asked similar questions (also owner of my home).  To me answer was I need to do IF 'I have something to do in immigration (like extension or residence cert.). Not necessarily contradictory to what they said you as indeed it seems no need to do if no need to deal with immigration.

And as said in the OP, the day before no issue to get res cert with 4+ yrs old TM30 slip...

Odds are that the whole thing will vapourise again, and effectively go to same mode it has been since 2019

Edited by mran66
  • Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:34 PM, Hamus Yaigh said:

FWIW the TM30 rules have not changed, like you said only need a new one when coming in country on a new visa or moving home permanently. That said the online version on TM30 submissions changed last month so anyone who used the old one needs to do it all again on the new one as the previous data has been wiped off for reasons best known to those with something to do with immigration.

That is not what the rule says..

Could contain:

Edited by hotandsticky

2 hours ago, mran66 said:

I went to the very same TM30 desk after reading the very same PM story, and asked similar questions (also owner of my home).  To me answer was I need to do IF 'I have something to do in immigration (like extension or residence cert.). Not necessarily contradictory to what they said you as indeed it seems no need to do if no need to deal with immigration.

And as said in the OP, the day before no issue to get res cert with 4+ yrs old TM30 slip...

Odds are that the whole thing will vapourise again, and effectively go to same mode it has been since 2019

That does kind of contradict what I was told but perhaps I didn't frame the question well enough.

On 10/15/2023 at 9:43 AM, sandyf said:

I haven't done a TM30 since 2015 and getting an extension has never been a problem in that respect.

I couple of weeks ago I went to the UK to renew my passport and although I had a re-entry permit decided to come back on a new visa.  I suspect this time with new passport and visa the issue will arise when the extension comes around.

However, I am not going to waste the best part of a day and around 500 baht for fuel on the basis of caution.

I don't quite understand why/how you obtained a new visa if you had a reentry permit.

I am sure you have your reasons - but they are not obvious to me.

53 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't quite understand why/how you obtained a new visa if you had a reentry permit.

I am sure you have your reasons - but they are not obvious to me.

When I went to the appointment for the passport I was told I would get the new passport in 8 days and the old one would follow 10 to 14 days later. That was a bit of a surprise and had that materialised would have gone beyond my flight back. I wasn't keen on changing the flight so when I received the new passport I applied for a visa. The old passport came back the day after I got the visa.

I then had a choice and as my extension was due to be renewed shortly after returning I decided to return on the visa.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

When I went to the appointment for the passport I was told I would get the new passport in 8 days and the old one would follow 10 to 14 days later. That was a bit of a surprise and had that materialised would have gone beyond my flight back. I wasn't keen on changing the flight so when I received the new passport I applied for a visa. The old passport came back the day after I got the visa.

I then had a choice and as my extension was due to be renewed shortly after returning I decided to return on the visa.

Thank you for explaining.

I understand, I thought that there must have been something unusual for you to do that.

Presumably a Non-Imm 'O' single entry visa ?