Diarrhoea could be heart attack warning, doctors in Thailand discover

webfact

image.jpeg

A sudden case of acute myocardial infarction, commonly known as a heart attack, presented in a 50 year old businessman with persistent diarrhoea, shocked the medical community. The individual, who had been suffering from diarrhoea for three consecutive days without seeing any improvement after medication, was diagnosed with the condition after a hospital visit for emergency treatment.

Dr Xie Tunren, a gastroenterologist and hepatologist, explained that the patient travelled for business to Taiyuan, where he experienced continuous diarrhoea for three days. Despite taking medication, the condition worsened, prompting a visit to the hospital.

The doctors, alarmed by the deteriorating symptoms, suspected an underlying abnormality in the body which led to the diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction after further examination.

Dr Xie Tunren elucidated that certain parts of the heart muscle dying could manifest as diarrhoea.

The reason for this is the connection between the blood vessels in the right chamber of the heart and the lungs through some automatic nerves, particularly the parasympathetic nerves.

When stimulated, these nerves cause continuous diarrhoea. The patient was fortunate that cardiologists promptly treated him, leading to his recovery.

by Nattapong Westwood

Photo: Freepik.

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

If true, I wonder why this has not been seen/noticed before. Obviously, concurrence is not necessarily causative.

I don't believe it is suggesting the diarrhea is causative. I believe it is saying the heart attack was asymptomatic other than the diarrhea, caused by the nerve that connects the dying heart tissue..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I don't believe it is suggesting the diarrhea is causative. I believe it is saying the heart attack was asymptomatic other than the diarrhea, caused by the nerve that connects the dying heart tissue..

A heart attack by it's very nature is symptomatic.

5 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Die on a toilet..like Elvis? ????

I my experience as a former nurse there have been many cases in the UK of people (mostly men) who have no heart attack symptoms but a desperate need to go to toilet and are found in unconscious or dead. However I wasn't aware of this link

• Like 1

Sad to see many retirees, expats in Thailand who do not seem to care of their healt. Excess drink, smoking, somtimes drugs and  overeating outside as food is cheap but very oily or with sugar based additives. Such a lifestyle is a one way ticket to excess cholesterol, heart issues and a vip entry to the grave.

Enjoy life by all means, but try to ban tobacco and booze or at worse drastically reduce consomption. Not to mention the biggest enemy that is overeating heavy food in restaurants. The rest is up to you if you want to live long enjoy Asia or not....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sad to see many retirees, expats in Thailand who do not seem to care of their health. Excess drinking, smoking, somtimes drugs or overeating daily outside,  as food is cheap but very oily or with sugar based additives. Such a lifestyle is a one way ticket to excess cholesterol, leading to digestive and heart issues and a vip entry to the grave.

Enjoy life by all means, but try to ban tobacco and booze or at worse drastically reduce consomption. Not to mention the biggest enemy that is overeating heavy food in restaurants. The rest is up to you if you want to live long enjoy Asia or not....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 1:44 PM, ukrules said:

Ok, but did he not feel any other symptoms of heart attack?

Like chest pain, arm pain, etc, etc.

Impending heart attack in 2005. 1st day -indigestion (did not go away the next day ... hmm, maybe acid reflux?), 2nd day - shortness of breath climbing stairs, 3rd day - cold sweat while just walking on level floor. OK, da ... call the Doctor saying I need an appt. He asks what's up? I explained, his reply ... hospital NOW. I was feeling fine so I drove myself to the hospital where he met me in the Emergency Room ... Next Day 5 by-passes. no pain at all, so it can vary with individual, I'm thinking. oh, heart attack 2015 (by-pass scar tissue narrowed blood vessels). Again, no pain, I just sensed impending serious body issue so off the the hospital (stent & 2 angioplasties).

• Thanks 2