Odd behavior at a theater.

Felton Jarvis

23 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

The standing tradition was a sign of respect. His Majesty Bhumibol was deeply respected by Thais.

Goes back to the days of Rama V after his visit to Great Britain, where it was usual for the National Anthem to be played at the end of a movie.

So impressed, he took this tradition back to Thailand, although they had to change it to before the movie started, as no one paid any attention.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, proton said:

But it's not necessary, would you stand if you were the only person there doing it thinking you were doing something positive?

That would require me looking around first in a dark theater and then follow them. No, we simply stand, problem solved.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sure if that's what Thaus are doing. 

If they aren't it's easy to stay seated too!

So if you have 30 people in a dark theater your're going to first determine how many are thais, then you're going to count to see if Thais outnumber foreigners. For fork sake stand for 2 minutes or don't, I only take care of myself and my kid.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So if you have 30 people in a dark theater your're going to first determine how many are thais, then you're going to count to see if Thais outnumber foreigners. For fork sake stand for 2 minutes or don't, I only take care of myself and my kid.

Bull. 

It's much easier to see what is a crowd is doing than that.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Never to forget that where Thai's can get away, does not apply to us farangs. Just look at police roadblocks in touristic towns. Mainly the foreigners are targetted and pulled over. Don't try to feel over thainess.

Respect the local customs, respect all people in general in Thailand,  no matter what other people may do or say. 

As a farang one has less rights in Thailand so better not to learn this the hard way. ????

If the local custom has changed to don't stand, then that's respecting the local customs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

Bull. 

It's much easier to see what is a crowd is doing than that.

I was in a theater in Pattaya like 2 months ago and some stood and some stayed seated. You want to show your dissatisfaction about things and stay seated like you matter, up to you.

On 10/16/2023 at 2:36 PM, Felton Jarvis said:

I recently attended a movie at a local theater, here in Pattaya and noticed that during the King’s Anthem, many remained seated.  I was under the impression that this was legally actionable. From what I could tell, those who remained seated were both young and Thai. One guy actually smirked at me as I stood. I have never seen this before. If I am going to have to go to jail, it will damn sure be over something other than failing to stand for the anthem. I try to obey local laws wherever I am.  Any input on this would be welcome.

Don't panic, you will only look foolish, there is no 'legal' ruling - it is indeed up to you, as they say.

Both my missus, and my mia noi, expect me to stand...

4 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I was in a theater in Pattaya like 2 months ago and some stood and some stayed seated. You want to show your dissatisfaction about things and stay seated like you matter, up to you.

In that case, I guess I would stand. 

Do NOT put words in my mouth. That's sleazy.

I never said I would stand or not stand for political reasons.

You made that up.

5 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Never bashed a Thai so you're still the solo racist (in this topic) :wai:

Who do you think you're fooling?

40 acres and a mule indeed. 

You were talking about black people 100 percent. Stop the gaslighting. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, observer90210 said:

I'm sure you are right, but trying to convince your point,  if arrested may be a totally different ball game.

If nobody is standing in a crowded theater nobody is getting arrested. Not Thai, f-rang, or Martian.

In any case it's academic in my case as I haven't been to a movie since Covid.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Last few times I was in one you could count them on one hand... surprised they covered the cost of chilling the place down to the temperature of a meat storage locker. 

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Last few times I was in one you could count them on one hand... surprised they covered the cost of chilling the place down to the temperature of a meat storage locker. 

Always bring a hoodie.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The ignorance of Thai 'culture' exhibited in these threads never ceases to amaze me.

As someone mentioned this was  a 'culture' likely copied from the UK habit, brought back by a past Thai King.....

More recently, it is talking and playing on your phone,  ignorant of others disturbance, while they try to watch the movie.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

The ignorance of Thai 'culture' exhibited in these threads never ceases to amaze me.

I'm not ignorant to Thai culture, and understand it completely, THANK YOU.

I just don't worship the elite, no matter how much perceived good they do.  The royal thing has always seemed silly to me, (as a Yank) and not just TH.  All countries that still think birthright leads to privileges.

Showing respect to a person, yea, common courtesy, but to a song...please.  GOD syndrome.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

As someone mentioned this was  a 'culture' likely copied from the UK habit, brought back by a past Thai King.....

More recently, it is talking and playing on your phone,  ignorant of others disturbance, while they try to watch the movie.

Not to mention the rustling of popcorn.......😀

My missus confirms that the standing out of respect for Rama 9 was an idea taken from the UK.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I'm not ignorant to Thai culture, and understand it completely, THANK YOU.

I just don't worship the elite, no matter how much perceived good they do.  The royal thing has always seemed silly to me, (as a Yank) and not just TH.  All countries that still think birthright leads to privileges.

Showing respect to a person, yea, common courtesy, but to a song...please.  GOD syndrome.

That chip on your shoulder weighs heavily.

The act of standing has no other significance than a mark of respect - which if you did understand Thai culture would realise that it has no place for envy or bitterness towards the elite. That is a western concept introduced by jealous, anti-establishment people. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Different regions, different experiences. We went to Equalizer 3 two Sundays ago in Chanthaburi, a 'younger' audience, everyone stood.