Reckless driving causes 1.2 million baht BMW motorcycle crash

snoop1130

Screenshot-2023-10-16-135631.jpg

A reckless driving manoeuvre atop Phu Thap Boek, a popular tourist spot in Phetchabun, resulted in a BMW motorcycle, worth 1.2 million baht, being sideswiped by a bronze Toyota pickup truck, causing it to topple over. The motorcyclist and a female pillion rider suffered minor injuries in the incident that took place today.

The TikTok user, who posted a video of the reckless driving, commented, that the carelessness almost cost the couple their lives.

“We barely escaped. We almost got hit!”

The video showed the motorcyclist travelling uphill on a steep, winding road frequented by both cars and motorcycles.

Upon reaching a blind curve marked with a solid line – a no-overtaking zone – a group of motorcycles was encountered, travelling in the opposite direction.

Simultaneously, the Toyota pickup truck, which was following the motorcyclist, decided to overtake at the curve, despite the solid line. This forced the motorcyclist to swerve, lose control, and fall, narrowly missing the video recorder’s vehicle.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Photo: KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 2
  • Sad 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:
1 hour ago, Big Bert said:

He failed to see the solid line as he was most probably on the phone playing Candy Crush. Did he stop? details passed to the rozzers?

You don't understand.

Solid lines are for OTHER people.

I'm special.

you both fail to understand.... there are no lines. 

Edited by stoner
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

After reading your above comment I had to watch the video to ensure I'm not going off my rocker !... 

You're definitely a big 'something' anyway... :giggle:  (jest).

I can't see how the motorcyclist was possibly at fault - he was positioned in the centre of the lane and gave himself a better view around the corner, his positioning was correct.

The utter idiot in the pickup had no right whatsoever to attempt any passing manoeuvre on a straight road with oncoming traffic like that...  to do so on a blind bend is simply mind-boggling. 

No amount of defensive riding can protect you when someone is driving like this.

The pickup driver needs his head smashed in and his licence removed.

English is obviously not your first language. 

Where did I say the motorcyclist was at fault? 

What I said that there was enough room to allow the pick up to enter the lane 

There's a small shoulder and more than 10 foot of width on the lane 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

He wasn't...  the motorcyclist was in the middle of his lane, just like the other riders ahead of him. 

image.png.4f6b934e4c34f96c34e6d3ba6b8b3326.png

Why would he be riding on the oil drip center of the asphalt instead of the 1/3 nearest the yellow lines...........where he'd have a better view and wouldn't entice idiot drivers to try to pass?

Anyhoo, he appears to be closer to the white line than to the center.

Edited by NoDisplayName
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

reads to me that you are placing responsibility on the motorcyclist for his road positioning.

Not at all, but when on the road be prepared for anything, swerve to the left to allow the idiot in the pick up back in the lane 

You got to take action when problems arise, the biker just remained on his original line,no defense. 

If the biker had more experience maybe the accident would not have happened. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Not at all, but when on the road be prepared for anything, swerve to the left to allow the idiot in the pick up back in the lane 

You got to take action when problems arise, he just remained on his original line. 

If the biker had more experience maybe the accident would not have happened. 

Absolutely agree...    we've got to be prepared for anything.

I don't think the motorcyclist was holding his line knowing the pickup was there (not suggesting you are suggesting so btw).

I think the motorcyclist was completely surprised and the motorcyclist only knew the pickup was there once there was impact. 

...  Who does a right shoulder blind spot check when entering a sharp left hand turn ?

I'm wondering IF in the same situation I would have or could have avoided that... and I really don't think I could have... its one of those situations only avoidable with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Absolutely agree...    we've got to be prepared for anything.

I don't think the motorcyclist was holding his line knowing the pickup was there (not suggesting you are suggesting so btw).

I think the motorcyclist was completely surprised and the motorcyclist only knew the pickup was there once there was impact. 

...  Who does a right shoulder blind spot check when entering a sharp left hand turn ?

I'm wondering IF in the same situation I would have or could have avoided that... and I really don't think I could have... its one of those situations only avoidable with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

I agree with you. 

It's definitely the pick up driver at fault. 

It's a shame that the accident happened, it looked to me if the rider was better prepared the outcome may have been different. 

I hope he and the pillion are both OK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKKBike09 said:

From the linked article:

“The truck driver had no insurance, but he’s taking responsibility. The total damage is over 300,000 baht.”

300K + for that low speed drop! Crazy.

he has a right to have it repaired to the standard it was before this idiot caused him to crash, I see this all the time, bike riding responsibly leave a gap to the vehicle in front and some idiot behind is determined to fill it, I will also guess that somewhere before this incident the bikes passed the pickup truck and he didn't like it making this a road rage incident

9 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why is this big biker in the video riding his BMW like a 90cc miniscooter, on the outside edge white stripe, along the inside of a blind curve?

Exactly my Q.  I never ever give anyone even the chance to catch up with me. Never mind allowing a pickup to pass me.  Likely a slow going group. Sometimes speed kills.  In Thailand often slowness kills.   As a bike you block the lane. First thing they teach you.  Second thing they teach you is to always keep a safety bubble.  Bikers know what that means. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'm a big biker, been riding Thailand roads for over 20 years, I reckon there was enough room for the bike to keep left, letting the pick up to get back in the lane. 

It's Thailand, you got to expect the unexpected, if you haven't got the skillset, don't ride a bike in Thailand 

The same commonsense applies to cyclists as well.