International Olympic Committee approves cricket and four other sports for 2028 Games in Los Angeles

Social Media

image.png

Cricket, lacrosse, flag football, softball-baseball and squash receive approval for 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles; cricket set to return to the event for the first time since 1900 Games in Paris; squash and flag football poised for Olympic debuts

Five sports, including cricket and flag football, will be included at the 2028 Los Angeles Olympics after receiving the approval of the International Olympic Committee.

Lacrosse, squash and baseball-softball also received the green light at an official IOC meeting in Mumbai on Monday with only two delegates voting against the five new events.

Each host city, under IOC rules, can request the inclusion of several sports for their edition of the Games.

Cricket has only appeared once at the Olympics, at the Paris Games in 1900 when Great Britain beat France by 158 runs a one-off final, but IOC president Thomas Bach said last week that the game's "growing popularity" made it an attractive proposition.

Bach said: "We are ready to welcome the world's best players of cricket to perform in the United States in 2028, while showcasing iconic American sports to the world.

FULL STORY

SKY NEWS.png

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Sadly, they've also approved rounders, sorry, baseball.

Will it only be played by girls like it is in the UK?

And, what the flip is "Flag Football"?

It's baseball/softball that has been approved. Not rounders. Rounders uses a shorter bat.

Softball, and rounders for that matter, is plated by both sexes in UK.

Not  a cricket fan. Nothing against it, just don't get. And that's even after spending a few years in India. Same with baseball. Maybe something to do with not being able to his a ball with a stick even if my life depended on it.

What I do recall is that cricket matches can drag on and on, sometimes stopped and resumed on the next day. How will it be handled? Or am I getting something wrong, again?

12 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not  a cricket fan. Nothing against it, just don't get. And that's even after spending a few years in India. Same with baseball. Maybe something to do with not being able to his a ball with a stick even if my life depended on it.

What I do recall is that cricket matches can drag on and on, sometimes stopped and resumed on the next day. How will it be handled? Or am I getting something wrong, again?

They will uses T20 or The Hundred formats. Matches last about 5 hours max.

12 hours ago, JemJem said:

I wouldn't be surprised if EVENTUALLY there will be American football, futsal, rugby union, rugby league, snooker, some of the billiards games and possibly some others in the Olympics.

There was a time when sports persons were only welcome at Olympics if they were amateur. Anyone who had previously been paid for competing was banned. Some sports still adhere to that rule. Many don't.

I'd welcome most of your suggested sports if that rule was reinstated.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Are there any cricket grounds or stadiums large enough to be used in LA area? If they did find or make some, at least would give possibly for some Aussie rules football (the best there is, IMO). Compare these sizes:

image.jpeg.36b09d5f2be6981e4434eccabc10f803.jpeg

23 hours ago, Morch said:

You're probably thinking of test cricket which is played over 5 days. 

The Olympics will play T20 cricket, which means each team bowls a maximum of 20 overs and the game is over in a few hours (weather depending). 

It's really not complicated. Once you know the terminology such as LBW, Flipper, Jaffa, Doosra, Silly mid off, second slip, Yorkers, leg spin, off spin, dibbly dobbly, beamer, bouncer, dolly, slog, sweep, plumb, nick etc.

Hopefully the Australians leave the sandpaper at home.

On 10/18/2023 at 5:42 AM, Emdog said:

Are there any cricket grounds or stadiums large enough to be used in LA area? If they did find or make some, at least would give possibly for some Aussie rules football (the best there is, IMO). Compare these sizes:

image.jpeg.36b09d5f2be6981e4434eccabc10f803.jpeg

That's an interesting point. The average playing area in cricket is 50% greater than a baseball field. They may have to build new stadia?

(Bolding unintended)

Haven't Americans suffered enough? They already have American football, baseball and ice hockey. Why add to their torment by inflicting Aussie Rules upon them😉

Edited by RayC
Explanation of bolding
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RayC said:

That's an interesting point. The average playing area in cricket is 50% greater than a baseball field. They may have to build new stadia?

(Bolding unintended)

Haven't Americans suffered enough? They already have American football, baseball and ice hockey. Why add to their torment by inflicting Aussie Rules upon them😉

funny. I'm an American, been watching Aus rules since around 2012 (Had ABC on condo cable). Yank football is devoid of action: WSJ says about 7 1/2 min of actual action. American baseball... even less. Cricket has much more action by comparison. Never got into ice hockey: too hard to see the puck on TV in the old days. No team sport close to Aus rules, in MY opinion... yours not so much, eh. Here is photo of US baseball diamond for game pkayed at Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG.. they had 100,024 fans there last month for championship footy match) image.jpeg.77656f57c18d5105ce543f44cdd24beb.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

You are going to love this then- Break dancing is a "sport" at Paris olympics.

The world has indeed gone completely barking insane.

https://www.paris2024.org/en/sport/breaking/

At the Paris 2024 Games, the breaking competition will comprise two events – one for men and one for women – where 16 B-Boys and 16 B-Girls will go face to face in spectacular solo battles. Athletes will use a combination of power moves – including windmills, the 6-step and freezes – as they adapt their moves and improvise to the beat of the DJ’s tracks in a bid to secure the judges’ votes and take home the first Olympic breaking title.