The "bystander " syndrome

georgegeorgia

Just reading a news post where a Russian tourist in Thailand was injured going to the aid of a baht bus driver bring threatened with a knife from another thai guy on the street 

Apparently he went to help the driver but was punched by the Thai attacker ,then the attacker fled and also the baht bus driver who was the original victim leaving his saver the Russian tourist to lay in the street .

Now let's talk about this bystander effect ,do you help others or mind your own business.

Would you or ever have you got involved, it's a hard decision 

I never forget few years ago in a bookshop cafe in Pattaya, listening to farangs who mentioned shockingly they kept driving around a body laying on the Pattaya highway no one stopped,they all went around 

Is this called the Stockholm syndrome where no one gets involved,or maybe it's called the by stander effect ?

Strangely this happens in China too I'm told more so , where they run over the body and no one sees it 

I was in a gym in Australia a few weeks ago to see a elderly guy arguing with a young tattooed guy , I have no idea what for , but looking around me I saw no one get involved and pretended not to see it ,

I was about to intervene before the old guy walked off 

That's I guess the bystander effect 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Your absolutely right !

People this generation would rather record than help 😂

esp in asia..i bike around daily and am shocked at the amount of cell phones recording the most mundane things and people staring at themselves and the selfie syndrome......smh....

thais seems to prefer a virtual life than reality...just go have a look at tae phae gate   and ppl worshiping those filthy pigeons......chinese as well.....ohh look a filthy winged rat...touches it

• Thumbs Up 2

For me this is nothing new.  During my working years I would hear this often:  “didn’t see anything and I won’t want to get involved”.  In LOS I might get involved if a child or a female were the victim.  “Good Samaritans” are still out there but now are very rare.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

For me this is nothing new.  During my working years I would hear this often:  “didn’t see anything and I won’t want to get involved”.  In LOS I might get involved if a child or a female were the victim.  “Good Samaritans” are still out there but now are very rare.  

During your working years?

Police officer?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Thais are such civilized people. They will never cease to amaze me.

I've seen those idiots fighting with one another more than once.

Never interfered and never will.

I might do something to get the back of a westerner, especially women, but that's about it.

And when I say westerner I mean decent ones not those obese losers who spend their days drinking, smoking, driving ugly tuned vehicles with their punk-ass bitch riding shotgun, etc... Those can die on the sidewalk in my book.

"And when I say westerner I mean decent ones not those obese losers who spend their days drinking, smoking, driving ugly tuned vehicles with their punk-ass bitch riding shotgun, etc..." 

As much as I have witnessed many  violent skirmishes by locals...

however, it is not my Country, and not my Culture.

Clark Kent...stay home!

Edited by tkramer
  • Haha 1

Several years ago now a mate of mine jumped off a baht bus to help a Thai woman getting battered by a Thai guy. Both of them started in on my mate, quickly joined by half a dozen motorbike taxi guys. He's no wimp but he ended up getting beat up pretty badly, especially by the woman.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

I was in London recently. A girl was screaming and being pushed and pulled by her (ex?) boyfriend.

As she pulled away I walked towards her and asked if there was anything I could do to help?

She said " Yes, you can **** off and leave me alone"......555

Stockholm syndrome

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Several years ago now a mate of mine jumped off a baht bus to help a Thai woman getting battered by a Thai guy. Both of them started in on my mate, quickly joined by half a dozen motorbike taxi guys. He's no wimp but he ended up getting beat up pretty badly, especially by the woman.

Shame no video

• Sad 2

A post disclosing another member picture has been removed please see our Community Standards In particular this forum rule:

31. You will not publicly discuss other members or post any member's personal information including but not limited to emails, social media messages, private messages, photos or website details.

It depends on the situation.  A person can get involved personally. Or they can get involved by get ting help.  It a judgment call. 
And as someone mentioned.  The Stockholm syndrome is when people take the side of their captors. 

I was stabbed when young stopping an old man being mugged. The blade nicked my aorta, almost died on the operating table. I'd do it again but incapacitated the attacker before they brought out a weapon. Also stopped a big guy abusing a shop girl once. I threatened to lock the shop door until police came. I don't understand people who put themselves first, unless it's obviously a totally lost situation, then I can understand hanging back.

On 10/19/2023 at 3:29 PM, xtrnuno41 said:

Well then you get some "intervening"movies like this one.

Complete frustrated police (wo)men, who even cant handle situation.

Like the Aussie cops bashing old ladies on a park bench because they weren't wearing masks.  They're tough in groups with their guns and clubs, but get them alone and it's usually a different story, like with every other bully. 

On 10/19/2023 at 6:19 PM, Expat68 said:

I would not get involved in a argument but someone injured on the street I would try to render assistance 

That would depend on the country. In Saudi we were told to never help anyone injured outside hospital as if they died we would be held liable. If a taxi we were in was involved in an accident we were told to get out and run as it would be our fault if the cops got us.

There was no "good Samaritan" law in Saudi.

• Sad 2

22 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I was stabbed when young stopping an old man being mugged. The blade nicked my aorta, almost died on the operating table. I'd do it again but incapacitated the attacker before they brought out a weapon. Also stopped a big guy abusing a shop girl once. I threatened to lock the shop door until police came. I don't understand people who put themselves first, unless it's obviously a totally lost situation, then I can understand hanging back.

In England one would not help if a bad youth was involved, as if the kid got injured one would be prosecuted. England has gone barking IMO.