Non-O visa from Trang but live in Chiang Mai

3 hours ago, bamboozled said:

If I am showing 12 months of 65k transfers in a year, they shouldn't be looking for 800k, no? It is one or the other, as far as I know.

When switching from 800k baht in the bank to income, there are multiple interpretations of the rules. The one I believe is most "correct" is that, in addition to the 12 monthly transfers from overseas, you must show 800k baht in the bank for three months after the last extension. This is to prove that it was your money and not a short term loan. The transfers show qualification via income for the new extension. If still using money in the bank for the new extension, you would need to show the 800k/400k/800k for the whole year.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not being pedantic...but think you mean that your 12 month extension stamp was issued in Trang then you at minimum would need to do a TM30.

Have you spoken to your agent. 

Where is he located.

Dr. Jack....woke up with an epiphany of sorts this morning. As you had pointed out, I got a new EXTENSION and not a new visa. I acknowledged that without really thinking about it. I am so used to having a new visa every year (my MO for the last 15 years or so bar 1, in which I never had to show funds) that I was still operating under my old mind-set and did not realize the implications of now having an extension and not a new visa. It's just dawning on me, this morning, my new status.

Interestingly, in Savannakhet, as you know, no funds are required for Non-O marriage and I was never asked about funds by IOs at any point while living in Thailand. No one ever asked to see my bank accounts and I never worried about it. Were all IOs aware of the Savannakhet rule when they checked my passport/visa? And why does Savannakhet have this special concession? Does seeing an extension of visa instead of a new visa put IOs in a different mindset?

The agent advised me to tell IOs I got my extension via an agent/agency if asked how/why it was from Trang. I can't imagine there is any secret to the powers that be that these agencies exist nor how they operate. Ditto for the Savannakhet idiosyncrasy. Yet why or how these avenues remain open is a mystery. What am I getting at? I'm not sure. I did not go to any great lengths to game the system. I took advantage of the available options that are easily discernible and open to all. In this regard, they seem above boards and copacetic. Will immigration agree? Per usual, a lot of gray area here. Isn't that part of why we love Thailand?

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

When switching from 800k baht in the bank to income, there are multiple interpretations of the rules. The one I believe is most "correct" is that, in addition to the 12 monthly transfers from overseas, you must show 800k baht in the bank for three months after the last extension. This is to prove that it was your money and not a short term loan. The transfers show qualification via income for the new extension. If still using money in the bank for the new extension, you would need to show the 800k/400k/800k for the whole year.

That makes sense. In my view (which matters nought), what a PITA. I wonder if folks get called out on that.

@bamboozled I'll try and explain where your thinking is incorrect.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.    The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. The validity of a visa cannot be extended.
A single entry visa is 'used' on entry. A multiple entry visa 'expires' on the 'enter before date'.
Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (not Thai Immigration) are responsible for it's overseas Embassies and Consulates.

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau.

An extension is an application to extend your period of stay and are subject to meeting criterial as defined in (internal) Immigration orders.
Extensions are permits (of stay), not a visa.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

@bamboozled I'll try and explain where your thinking is incorrect.

The period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.    The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. The validity of a visa cannot be extended.
A single entry visa is 'used' on entry. A multiple entry visa 'expires' on the 'enter before date'.
Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (not Thai Immigration) are responsible for it's overseas Embassies and Consulates.

On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp.  Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau.

An extension is an application to extend your period of stay and are subject to meeting criterial as defined in (internal) Immigration orders.
Extensions are permits (of stay), not a visa.

Got it, thanks for the input. I'm not used to doing extensions. I would get new, multi-entry, year long visas every year and do border bounces. I was never required to meet criteria such as funds in the bank...keep 800k or 400k or monthly transfers, etc... It was pretty simple. Now things seem less simple and I've got to up my game. There is a learning curve here.

1 minute ago, bigt3116 said:

There is no "discretion" for the validity of the visa, the timelines are set in stone.

There are those who have applied for a multi entry type visa, but only issued a single entry type, at the 'discretion' of the Embassy.

17 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

There are those who have applied for a multi entry type visa, but only issued a single entry type, at the 'discretion' of the Embassy.

Nothing to do with the validity though. All multi Non-imm have the same validity, all single Non-imm have the same validity, all METV have the same validity, and all SETV have the same validity. No "discretion".

You clearly wrote "The validity of a visa is granted with discretion", and that is wrong.

15 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Got it, thanks for the input. I'm not used to doing extensions. I would get new, multi-entry, year long visas every year and do border bounces. I was never required to meet criteria such as funds in the bank...keep 800k or 400k or monthly transfers, etc... It was pretty simple. Now things seem less simple and I've got to up my game. There is a learning curve here.

The Non Imm O ME visa is valid to enter Thailand for 1 year.
On each entry, you were permitted a 'period of stay' of 90 days.
You could extend that 90-day period of stay by a further 60 days, subject to visiting Thai spouse/family.

To extend your stay beyond that, you must meet the criteria as defined in Immigration Orders.

38 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

You clearly wrote "The validity of a visa is granted with discretion", and that is wrong.

I quoted the information from Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/general-information?menu=5e1ff6d057b01e00a6391dc5

7. Please note that the period of visa validity is different from the period of stay.  Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  In general, the validity of a visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years.  The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker. 

If you have an issue with 'their' wording, you should immediately contact the MFA to correct it, with evidence of your expert qualifications.

Just as Immigration have used their discretion to allow Russians a 90-day period of stay, entering VE, or the Chinese a 30 day VE entry, the above statement by the MFA means they could change the validity of a visa type to enter Thailand at their discretion. That is not to state they would, but they could.
Changing the validity of visa to enter Thailand would not change the period of stay granted by Immigration, unless by their discretion as exampled above.

Edited by Liquorice
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Easier still, why don't you show me where anyone got a different visa validity ?

Although not true now, years ago, a multiple entry visa with a normal validity period of a year would be pegged back to the expiry date of the passport if less than a year (but more than the six month minimum).

• Like 1