Electric Hedge Trimmer recommendations.............

EVENKEEL

How big of branches does your trimmer handle? Really don't want to be stuck with an expensive useless tool. So far I use hand clippers and a pair of heavy duty snippers for the big branches. Looks like a blind man trimmed. And with the rain they grow crazy fast.

I have two, a black and decker, general clipper, does the job, for trimming the hedges into shape. I guess for 1000B or thereabouts, you are correct, you just need to trim on a weekly basis once the hedges get to height.

I also have a handheld rechargeable chainsaw, cheap as chips, for the bigger branches. I wish could get a proper makita or ryobi one, but I just see cheap Chinese jobs.

One thing I learnt, if you let any Thai person trim hedges or bushes then get a cordless, rechargeable one, one kid went through the power cord twice in about as many minutes, just wouldn't listen to reason - dont go all the way around the bush, you will cut the cord on the other side, bang.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

How much hedge have you got ? (length and height).

I agree with OP - a battery model is a great idea - cables are a bind and it's hard to avoid the occasional sever !

Like 30 ft probably, they are old so the main branches are easy 1/2" thick. The good battery trimmers run like 4-5K at the brick stores.

On 10/18/2023 at 9:23 PM, KhunLA said:

Makita brand, about 15 yrs old and still going strong.  Idle for couple years, and started using again (1yr), limited use.   Heavy use when in Udon Thani, as having a hedge wall+ around 2 rai lot.

image.png.85f1be2338bd5cb2c8b64906062599f0.png

But does the trimmer handle the thick branches as well. The pic sure looks like way too much work.

9 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

But does the trimmer handle the thick branches as well. The pic sure looks like way too much work.

Why we now have 100 tw lot for the house, most taken up by the house & carport.  No need for groundskeeper 1 or 2 day a week.  Use to take me 2 days to cut the grass during rainy season, a couple hours a day.

It was too much, and seemed like living for house at times 😂

Edited by KhunLA

On 10/19/2023 at 9:53 AM, recom273 said:

I have two, a black and decker, general clipper, does the job, for trimming the hedges into shape. I guess for 1000B or thereabouts, you are correct, you just need to trim on a weekly basis once the hedges get to height.

I also have a handheld rechargeable chainsaw, cheap as chips, for the bigger branches. I wish could get a proper makita or ryobi one, but I just see cheap Chinese jobs.

One thing I learnt, if you let any Thai person trim hedges or bushes then get a cordless, rechargeable one, one kid went through the power cord twice in about as many minutes, just wouldn't listen to reason - dont go all the way around the bush, you will cut the cord on the other side, bang.

haha happened with my eelectric grass cutter. Ironically, one by my Thai gardener, who repaired the cord. 2nd time wax by my expat neighbout, being an American, his excuse for not paying for a new cord was - ''it was broken when i got it'' .I stopped using that excuse when I was 12 years old 🙂

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, paddypower said:

haha happened with my eelectric grass cutter. Ironically, one by my Thai gardener, who repaired the cord. 2nd time wax by my expat neighbout, being an American, his excuse for not paying for a new cord was - ''it was broken when i got it'' .I stopped using that excuse when I was 12 years old 🙂

Yep ... attach to your belt and or throw the cord over your shoulder, and if have a button down shirt, can actually weave through those, so it stays in place.  Sending though t-shirt never seemed to work well.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1