Sourpuss Waitresses.

bob smith

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree with that 100%. Gosh, this is getting to be a habit, LOL.

They have a tough job putting up with arrogant farangs that treat them like <deleted> and working for a pittance.

It's a wonder to me that they are not all spitting at farangs.

I have witnessed many ignorant foreigners at the check outs in the supermarkets, one refused to move his trolley, I asked him to as did the check out girl, he just shook his head and walked away with his shopping leaving the trolley blocking the exit,  another left his empty basket on the conveyor saying it was not his job to move it when asked to do so. These are just a couple of incidents, no wonder some Thais are sourpusses towards foreigners who tend to look down on Thais as if they are lower class.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 1:43 PM, JonnyF said:

Haha there is one waitress in there who quite literally despises everyone who walks through the door. She literally snarls at customers. It's hilarious. 

She's the main reason we go......just to annoy her we are extra polite and always tip well....must drive her mad.

• Haha 2

I hit a den of vipers in a family restaurant during my trip home this summer. All late middle aged women, except one in her 20s, who were done with work but work wasn't done with them yet.  The waitress threw the plate down in front of me and sprinted away from my table before I could ask for the cutlery(that she forgot to provide) with which to eat my meal.

At first it made me angry, then I tried to imagine what her life must be like and I couldn't remain angry with her.  I did something counter intuitive: handed her $5 and complimented her on the excellent service during a very busy seating. Empathized with how the large tables were running the ladies' asses off.  If you've ever worked in the industry you'll know what I'm talking about.  Families are awful to deal with and usually tip poorly.  Cleaning up after them is like mucking out a pigsty. 

The change in her and the other ladies was transformative. It was my Tony Robbins moment 555.  The lady needed a bit of kindness, not another kick when she was down. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/20/2023 at 4:24 PM, jesimps said:

Maybe going into competition with that new place that that bolshy cretni Gordon Ramsey's opening there. I learned early on that in this country, the customer isn't always right.

the customer never was always right, business etiqutte allowed them to be obnoxious and get away with it. Thankfully that is less so here and is waning in many other countries too. There is no excuse for behaving like a spoiled brat in a restaurant or anywhere else. It costs nothing to be nice. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Cheap Charlies does a half decent breakfast, be great when their darkside outlet finally opens.

The name is wrong, the clientele are wrong and the ambience is wrong. That's the "Soi Bukow" location, I couldn't bring myself to visit the "Jomtiem" branch on my last visit there from Bangkok to do my TM47.

Give me Sportsman on Soi 13 or give me death. Or Mama noodles 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

The name is wrong, the clientele are wrong and the ambience is wrong. That's the "Soi Bukow" location, I couldn't bring myself to visit the "Jomtiem" branch on my last visit there from Bangkok to do my TM47.

you did a 90 day report in Jomtien when living Bangkok ?

1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

You don’t pay for the ambience, that’s why the prices are reasonable, I have had Guinness in there and I can’t see why you make such a rude comment about the clientele, do you know any of them personally, you are very judgemental and snobbish.

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

That's a bad thing, right? 😅

Yes more so you don’t know the clientele personally who eat in Cheap Charlie’s and you probably have never set foot in the place, do you stand outside scanning the clientele as they come and go ?

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:46 AM, bob smith said:

what is wrong with these people at all

i've never known a population so sensitive to a bit of criticism 

and the service really is shocking at times

this is not an isolated incident, many similar situations have happened to me over the years.

When in Rome! 

Learn to integraate/assimilate.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 11:46 AM, bob smith said:

i've never known a population so sensitive to a bit of criticism 

This comment alone rings quite true. 

In Thailand and outside of Thailand, in a professional setting or personal, I have found that in General Thai's struggle more so than any other nationality I've worked with an had exposure to when it comes to handling any form of criticism, constructive or otherwise.

In many cases they simply do not have the emotional tools to handle criticism and in nearly all cases any form of criticism is handled extremely poorly. 

As for the rest - The Op (Bob Smith) received poor and surly service... most probably due to the area being one of 'high monger footfall' and that the average customer is perhaps not so polite either...   

... i.e. area's which attract the 'dregs' are generally serviced by the 'dregs'

Thats not to suggest that Bob is 'the dregs' - just that the area was likely to be quite s#itty and the staff in the area more familiar with avoiding the P's, Q's and general niceties more commonly found in 'better' area's. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Yes more so you don’t know the clientele personally who eat in Cheap Charlie’s and you probably have never set foot in the place, do you stand outside scanning the clientele as they come and go ?

Went there once in December 2021 just to see what all the fuss was about.

Totally dispiriting experience. Cheap decor, cheap "fallung" in their Pattaya uniform of cheap drab wife-beaters, cheap drab cargo pants and cheap drab shower shoes.

My waitress also looked thoroughly dispirited, perhaps because the of the  drab black and white Cheap Charlie uniform she was required to wear.

No desire to go back and even less desire to interact with the clientele, even if they are all salt of the earth, diamond in the rough types (allegedly).

On 10/21/2023 at 6:18 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

I have witnessed many ignorant foreigners at the check outs in the supermarkets, one refused to move his trolley, I asked him to as did the check out girl, he just shook his head and walked away with his shopping leaving the trolley blocking the exit,  another left his empty basket on the conveyor saying it was not his job to move it when asked to do so. These are just a couple of incidents, no wonder some Thais are sourpusses towards foreigners who tend to look down on Thais as if they are lower class.

All the arrogance and hateful behaviour from some of our kind unfortunately......those from the boys club of the inflated ego white male...who is not worth a dime or a penny back home and tries to play it big in Thailand. It also shames me often.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Totally dispiriting experience. Cheap decor, cheap "fallung" in their Pattaya uniform of cheap drab wife-beaters, cheap drab cargo pants and cheap drab shower shoes.

My waitress also looked thoroughly dispirited, perhaps because the of the  drab black and white Cheap Charlie uniform she was required to wear.

No desire to go back and even less desire to interact with the clientele, even if they are all salt of the earth, diamond in the rough types (allegedly).

Maybe the clientele can only afford the cheap drab clothing and shower shoes, not everyone is a millionaire. You must walk about blindfolded in Pattaya the attire you describe is what the majority of what foreigners wear more so the shower shoes.

Do you walk about with a 3 piece suit, be interesting to know your dress attire ?

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Maybe the clientele can only afford the cheap drab clothing and shower shoes, not everyone is a millionaire. You must walk about blindfolded in Pattaya the attire you describe is what the majority of what foreigners wear more so the shower shoes.

Do you walk about with a 3 piece suit, be interesting to know your dress attire ?

They wear cheap drab clothes because they're cheap drab people. That, and they're probably afraid of being called gay if they turn up in anything other than a well worn Singha wife-beater.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I subject myself to such lack of imagination ever again.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Surprised they were open given Pattaya was in lockdown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

They wear cheap drab clothes because they're cheap drab people. That, and they're probably afraid of being called gay if they turn up in anything other than a well worn Singha wife-beater.

It'll be a cold day in Hell before I subject myself to such lack of imagination ever again.

6 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Get your facts right Chang is wife neater, great news you won’t be hanging about vetting people as they go into Cheap Charlie’s, we can relax now and carry on wearing our drab clothing

I've tried Cheap Charlie's a few times but it didn't work for me. The waitresses were great and none of the other clientele bothered me; it was the oil they cook with that sent my guts into a tailspin. 

Next up was the Thai food, which I eat at least 60 percent of the time.  It was fine, but not great, nor was it an outstanding value.  Another miss.

Edit to add: 

I went to Hungry Hippo (?) twice and that was a rock bottom experience.  The most broken, dispirited staff I've encountered in Thailand, who were compelled to wear masks long after other places tossed them in the bin.  For a while I voted with my wallet and stopped patronizing places where the staff wore masks.  I want to see the lady's face.  Communication can be difficult enough without putting a rag over someone's mouth. 

The additional cost of eating at Witherspoons or the Sportsman is worth it to me.  The Sportsman has some of the best Thai food I've had in Pattaya, especially the Panang, which is creamy instead of the oily mess that some other places serve.  Witherspoons has the 7 item breakfast that allows you to choose from a long list of items and have the breakfast that you actually want.  The service in both establishments is great. 

Edited by Bobthegimp

19 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Surprised they were open given Pattaya was in lockdown.

I arrived in the night time on 1 December 2021 and was released from isolation the following morning. Holiday Inn 24th floor, Bayview room. Hotel is pretty generic being an American chain but the view was across the bay was awesome.

The first thing I did after breakfast in the room was go looking for a beer. I walked down the beach to Soi Post Office or thereabouts then went up to The Avenue and out the back to Soi 15.

First bar that was open, Korando's, wasn't serving booze but when I got further up the road I noticed that some of the punters looked like they were drinking beer on the sly so I went in and had myself a couple of nice cold Heinekens. Cloud 9 I think it was called, got shut down a few weeks later and Moroccan owner allegedly deported for staying open too late.

After that I moved down to the Soi Honey part of Buakhao and found a Norwegian place that was open, serving beer, and who do (did?) a very nice salami and swiss cheese baguette. No 50 baht slop on a plate for me.

A few days later I was in Cloud 9 and ironically a well-dressed English chap in a pink polo shirt 😂 suggested that we visit a small bar just around the corner on the Cow that was known to stay open all night behind the shutters and you could even get a plate of spag bol made by the Italian owner if you were desperate for a late night feed.

So I ended up spending quite a bit of time at both Cloud 9 and 'The Italian' in my first few weeks in Pattaya after a 7 year absence. I had a great time, even meet a couple of Scottish fellows at the Italian place and they took me on an excursion to Ban Chang where we had fun sneaking under the shutters or through the back door and into some of the bars that were open on the sly.

So yeah, no lockdown for me, well except for a few days in self-isolation after I caught Covid in one of the speakeasies (as expected).

2 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

I arrived in the night time on 1 December 2021 and was released from isolation the following morning. Holiday Inn 24th floor, Bayview room. Hotel is pretty generic being an American chain but the view was across the bay was awesome.

The first thing I did after breakfast in the room was go looking for a beer. I walked down the beach to Soi Post Office or thereabouts then went up to The Avenue and out the back to Soi 15.

First bar that was open, Korando's, wasn't serving booze but when I got further up the road I noticed that some of the punters looked like they were drinking beer on the sly so I went in and had myself a couple of nice cold Heinekens. Cloud 9 I think it was called, got shut down a few weeks later and Moroccan owner allegedly deported for staying open too late.

After that I moved down to the Soi Honey part of Buakhao and found a Norwegian place that was open, serving beer, and who do (did?) a very nice salami and swiss cheese baguette. No 50 baht slop on a plate for me.

A few days later I was in Cloud 9 and ironically a well-dressed English chap in a pink polo shirt 😂 suggested that we visit a small bar just around the corner on the Cow that was known to stay open all night behind the shutters and you could even get a plate of spag bol made by the Italian owner if you were desperate for a late night feed.

So I ended up spending quite a bit of time at both Cloud 9 and 'The Italian' in my first few weeks in Pattaya after a 7 year absence. I had a great time, even meet a couple of Scottish fellows at the Italian place and they took me on an excursion to Ban Chang where we had fun sneaking under the shutters or through the back door and into some of the bars that were open on the sly.

So yeah, no lockdown for me, well except for a few days in self-isolation after I caught Covid in one of the speakeasies (as expected).

Yeah fun times them... Pattaya (to me) was a better place those few years.

On 10/20/2023 at 8:08 AM, Dan O said:

Your making moron assumptions that he was or that was referring to hotels in my original comment. Go back and read it again

A moron calling other people morons.  That's called projection and is a very immature reaction to having his ego held up to a mirror.  

It's also extreme irony on your part.