Beyond burger /Beyond meat

charleskerins

Anyone actually sample 'beyond burger'?

I personally don't see the point myself, especially if using the stuff, for a 'burger', as the beef burger itself, isn't exactly the most unhealthy part of the 'burger.

Many would say the roll, cheese & condiments are far unhealthier.  

If it's a humane thing, hell, just make a veggie burger (roasted shrooms, eggplant, onion, peppers ... etc) or sandwich & enjoy.  Done that more than few times, if wanting protein, add an egg.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Available. See it in a lonely freezer and have never seen anyone buying it.

Personally will not consider ever eating that.

From some website:

"Eating these burgers is touted as a strategy to save the earth, casting meat as a prehistoric concept."" Hahaha "save earth" do these people ever listen to themselves.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Available. See it in a lonely freezer and have never seen anyone buying it.

Personally will not consider ever eating that.

From some website:

"Eating these burgers is touted as a strategy to save the earth, casting meat as a prehistoric concept."" Hahaha "save earth" do these people ever listen to themselves.

Maybe you should listen

• Haha 2

Anything is better than eating dead cows, who knows what they have been fed on and injected with? anti biotics for sure, anti biotics in the feed then hung upside down slaughtered then hacked up, halal is even worse. Not sustainable ecologically in the long run. Bit expensive these ones, I prefer the various 'chicken' products.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Love It 1

Free Bird Cafe in Chiang Mai has a Jackfruit burger, which well mimics the meat texture. When you pile on all the lettuce etc, it's like a McD hamburger. A jackfruit burger is often on a vegan menu in the states.

About half the burger joints in CM offer a fake burger. I eat so little meat that I rarely bother. The fake one at Burger King is close to indistinguishable from the regular one.

If they have a v-burger that's mostly mushrooms, I usually pick that over over the fake meat kind. Good Souls Vegan in CM Old City does a superb one at Gwyneth Paltrow levels for 250 baht.

But if I'm in a vegan restaurant, there will always be more tempting options, since Thai dishes lend themselves to vegan versions so well.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, charleskerins said:

Maybe you should listen

Nope, do you really think you are saving earth whatever that means with this kind of chemical stuff.

All the industry and energy to create, process and distribute the chemicals, manufacture, package and distribute the fake meat end product. Its all about job creation, business and profit.

The greatest danger to earth is the number of humans themselves

5 Chemicals Lurking in Plant-Based Meats

Veggie burgers don’t grow in the ground. They’re made in factories

When something sounds too good to be true, it probably isn’t. In recent years, more consumers are trying meat substitutes made with plants. But they’re not made only with plants. Fake meat can have over 50 chemical ingredients—something you wouldn’t realize if you’re ordering at a restaurant..

Here are some things you might not know are in that veggie burger:

Tertiary butylhydroquinone. TBHQ is a synthetic preservative that prevents discoloration in processed foods. The FDA limits the amount of TBHQ allowed in foods because studies of laboratory animals has found an association with TBHQ and cancer.

Magnesium carbonate. Remember when some bread was accused of having a yoga mat chemical? Well, magnesium carbonate, used in foods to retain color, is also used in flooring, fireproofing, and fire-extinguishing compounds.

Erythosine (Red #3). Red #3 is an artificial food coloring. The FDA banned the use of Red #3 in products such as cosmetics in 1990 after high doses of the substance were linked to cancer. But it can still be used in foods like fake meat.

Propylene glycol. Propylene glycol is an odorless, colorless liquid used as a moisturizer. It’s also used as a liquid in e-cigarettes and is the primary ingredient in antifreeze.

Ferric orthophosphate. Also called iron phosphate, this chemical is used to fortify foods. It can also be used as a pesticide to kill slugs and snails. While generally considered safe (for people) in food in small quantities, it can be a skin and eye irritant and may cause an upset stomach

Edited by freeworld
  • Sad 1