Thailand’s EV initiative: Driving towards a greener future

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

More nonsense.

Electric vehicles now have a market share of 88% in Norway with none of the issues you've mentioned.

Thailand is extending it's incentive campaign contributing towards purchase price of BEV's.

Nothing in a car is more inflammable than Petrol, yet we have mastered that, just as we have mastered Lithium batteries.  Norway with 88% electrified vehicles has no issues with fires, it's a non-event.  For every "expert" proclaiming doom & gloom, there are dozens of others claiming BS. 

As for uninsurability, I just insured my daughter's MG EP+ and IIRC it was around 8,000 baht for first class insurance.

Rather than "thinking been abolished" it's the intelligentsia who have researched their intended purchases very carefully and then gone ahead with their EV purchase.  I personally am on my 3rd EV and I couldn't be happier.  I got very enjoyable, dirt cheap, silent motoring and a great resale price on the 2 I sold.  I will never buy another ICE vehicle.

Well this is great.....We have ONE happy EV owner in Thailand....lol

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps I should have said Norway has less issues now than when it had ICE vehicles.  As we know ICE vehicles are 10 times less likely to be involved in fires.

I grant you, the resultant fire if there is one, is much more of a problem to deal with.

Regarding Thailand, most EV's are using LFP battery chemistry which is much safer than NMC.  Some of the high-performance vehicles will continue to use NMC because of the higher energy density.  For those of us that have done our research, we all prefer LFP which is more suited to Thailand as we don't get cold winters.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

JB Chiang Rai - congratulations on your decision to run EVs and whilst you have now had 3, EV's are still in their infancy so let's wait and see before dismissing other views out of hand.

Norway is a notably rich country with a small population. Just be clear - 88% is of EV sales not the EV proportion of the total vehicles on the road which is about 20%.

You say, "we have mastered Lithium batteries" but oh no, we have not. It seems they have mastered us !

I'm glad to hear your daughter's insurance was reasonable, but in other Countries, this is already becoming a major problem.

And I wonder what will happen to secondhand values on EV's as experience in Thailand develops.

Yes you are getting cheap motoring, (short journeys only?) but let's see how it goes.

Coming back to Norway here's some more https://www.norwegianamerican.com/unintended-consequences-electric-car-fires-on-the-rise-in-norway/

Always remembering it's the intensity of, not the frequency of fires in EV that is the problem.

Edited by TorquayFan

12 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Errors in your post, even though you are apparently rated by yourself as 'intelligentsia' 😘

Norway is a notably rich country with a small population. Just be clear - 88% is of EV sales not the proportion of vehicles on the road.

You say, "we have mastered Lithium batteries" but oh no, we have not. It seems they have mastered us !

You are right, 88% is the proportion of vehicle sales, I did say "market share" first time I stated it which is correct, I did erroneously then quote 88% on the next reference.

I think the only technology re fueling vehicles that has mastered us is petroleum distillates.

As I have said before, ultimately we will see Hydrogen cars sold alongside BEV's, H2 cars will be cheaper and less desirable because they will cost 3 times as much to run per kilometer (maybe as much as 5 times more).

• Thanks 2