Police Raid Major Money Lending Network in Chonburi

webfact

image.jpeg

Chonburi — Chonburi police raided 20 locations across 10 districts in a lightning operation targeting an alleged illegal money lending network involved in exorbitant interest rates, narcotics, and firearms.

The operation was carried out on Saturday, October 20th, following an order by the Commander of the 2nd Region Chonburi Provincial Police.

More than 50 police officers were dispatched to conduct searches on 20 targets across 10 districts in Chonburi province. The operation primarily focused on dismantling two reportedly illegal money-lending businesses.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

PHOTO: Siamrath

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-10-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

My local officer offers money at 20%... 

That is illegal if it's per day, per month, or per year, it's legal if it's per 16 months.

A farang's wife here in Chiang Rai borrowed at an exorbitant rate and he went to the police to complain about their threats, the police told him since it was a contract between 2 people they couldn't get involved.  I told him to take his complaint to higher up, he didn't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

That is illegal if it's per day, per month, or per year, it's legal if it's per 16 months.

A farang's wife here in Chiang Rai borrowed at an exorbitant rate and he went to the police to complain about their threats, the police told him since it was a contract between 2 people they couldn't get involved.  I told him to take his complaint to higher up, he didn't.

Example..
10,000 baht loan +20% interest

Payable daily over 30 days

total loan 12,000 baht

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I suspect credit cards may be subject to different regulations, I don’t know as I don’t have one.

I do but in my case I have to keep money on deposit as guarantee... those with a work permit can get credit proper. My Mrs once lent money to someone, she was getting 10% a month which did not reduce the amount owed!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I do but in my case I have to keep money on deposit as guarantee... those with a work permit can get credit proper. My Mrs once lent money to someone, she was getting 10% a month which did not reduce the amount owed!

it’s very common to charge over 15% oa but it is illegal.