Thai agencies to strategise release of hostages amid Israel-Hamas war

webfact

image.jpeg

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin of Thailand has announced a meeting with various agencies scheduled for today, aiming to discuss potential strategies for securing the release of Thai hostages caught in the crossfire of the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.

The 61 year old prime minister acknowledged the delicate nature of the situation, given the ongoing negotiations for the release of the hostages and the increasing number of Thai workers expressing a desire to return home.

He stated: “We will meet at the Foreign Affairs Ministry to discuss the matter. The ministry, the Thai ambassador to Israel and security agencies have attached great importance to helping Thai hostages.”

The Bangkok-born PM assured the Thai public that the authorities are exploring all avenues to negotiate the hostages’ release and that personal connections will also be leveraged in these discussions. However, he also stressed the confidential nature of some negotiation details while assuring that they would do their utmost to aid the Thai hostages.

by Mitch Connor

Photo: The Nation Thailand

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-23

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin of Thailand has announced a meeting with various agencies scheduled for today, aiming to discuss potential strategies for securing the release of Thai hostages caught in the crossfire of the ongoing Israel-Hamas war.

Thai agencies couldn't strategise their way out of a clear paper bag.

• Like 1

This is going to get very interesting because mainstream Thai culture (though not the highest levels) is gentle, conciliatory, willing to listen, respectful of others and their differences, while currently staring into the face of an evil so profound that it makes even the student killings of 1973 and 1976 pale in comparison. What will the mood be if we slowly learn drop by drop that every one of those hostages is forfeit and defunct, that Hamas could not care less, that Thailand means nothing to them because their eye is on a far bigger prize, and there is nothing anyone here can do to change that, it's hopeless? I'm not predicting, but if you think I am, then I hope I'm totally wrong.