Visa Exemption Limit?

Hello Visa Forum AJarns,

I am a US Passport holder working in Singapore, entering Thailand via visa exemption multiple times throughout the year to visit my GF who is ill.

I usually never stayed more than 3 or 4 days at a time, the longest being a week in 2023. But I have already entered 6 times this year via Air, and two times via land. I know you can only enter twice via land per year, so my limit via land entry  iis used up for this year.

My question is , is there any limit on how many times I can enter via air using visa exemption scheme, as I am planning to vvisit her next month for the 7th time this year.

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wouldn't mention the Thai girlfriend. It could really go both ways, depending on the IO you encounter. 

I agree. On the other hand, what reason does he give for wanting to come so often? Sure, Bangkok has great food options, but Singapore does too.

Historically, a Thai girlfriend was seen as one of the legitimate reasons for frequent visits. The problem is that the wrong official might interpret this as "I am a sex tourist".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the expert advice. 

The reason I asked here is when I did a Google search, I was getting conflicting info from various sites. One of the Thai embassy London sites mentioned 6 times limit per year. I guess that's if you use maximum 30 days stay each time.

My total stay for all trips this year is still less than 30 days.

I will try to enter for the 7th time next month. That would save me 250$ for not having to get a multi tourist visa, if I don't have to. I can show them my GF's in and out of hospital medical records if they ask why I made multiple short trips In the past.

Thanks again.

Joe

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

No need to show hospital records and could confuse matters.

If asked just explain that you live in the region and like Thailand, come for short holidays. Enough.

Lots of people living in the region make very frequent trips to Thailand. I know people working in Cambodia who come every month or more for short stays.

Agreed. Simplicity is best. Just say "Singapore too boring, need fun and relax."

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

I agree. On the other hand, what reason does he give for wanting to come so often? Sure, Bangkok has great food options, but Singapore does too.

You do realise 'tourism' is a valid reason and short tourist holidays is what visa exempt is for. 

Saying he can't be visiting Bangkok because Singapore has same is quite frankly rediculous 

36 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Six is actually their unwritten rule.

I bet they tell you to get a proper Visa and flag you in their system with a warning.

They look at time spent in country, not number of entries.

Many, many people living in the region make a large number of short trips to Thailand, quite common.  Even one a month or more. As long as the total number of days is nto a lot, no problem at all.

Since he will be on a US passport possibly they may ask not realizing he lives in the region, as soon as learning he lives in Singapore all will be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

No need to show hospital records and could confuse matters.

If asked just explain that you live in the region and like Thailand, come for short holidays. Enough.

Lots of people living in the region make very frequent trips to Thailand. I know people working in Cambodia who come every month or more for short stays.

OK, noted with thanks

Joe

6 hours ago, Sheryl said:

They look at time spent in country, not number of entries.

Many, many people living in the region make a large number of short trips to Thailand, quite common.  Even one a month or more. As long as the total number of days is nto a lot, no problem at all.

Since he will be on a US passport possibly they may ask not realizing he lives in the region, as soon as learning he lives in Singapore all will be fine.

It really varies, depending on the official. A common issue encountered by offshore oil workers, who decide to spend their off time in Thailand, is being told they cannot do it with visa exemptions. I believe they are a classic case of people Immigration ought to have no problem with: less than half the year in Thailand, and gaps of a month, or so, between visits (and lots of money).

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

It really varies, depending on the official. A common issue encountered by offshore oil workers, who decide to spend their off time in Thailand, is being told they cannot do it with visa exemptions. I believe they are a classic case of people Immigration ought to have no problem with: less than half the year in Thailand, and gaps of a month, or so, between visits (and lots of money).

How many of those offshore workers that reported a problem either had a wife in Thailand or owned/rented a condo, therefore technically could be accused of 'living in Thailand' with visa exempt (I know many people that do that).

How many then dug themselves a hole with IO by saying "but I have a wife here" or "but I have a condo here"

Most of us using visa exempt don't have a problem if not using back to back entries to live here. Most I've heard from people not trying to live here is you might be asked some questions about why so many visits but then let in anyway. Hardly a concern for the OP with eight 3-4 day trips this year (hard to be accused of living here staying less than 30 days a year)

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Surely the main focus is trying to catch people living in Thailand doing back to back entries without the proper visa. OP is not anywhere near that situation. 

No, they are only allowed to refuse entry of someone is strongly suspected of working in Thailand without a work permit.

there is no rule whatsoever about someone living in TH using visa exemptions. They are not breaking any law whatsoever