"I am the heir to Blair" ! says Starmer after historic Tory by-election wipeout.

Social Media

image.png

By-elections latest: Boris Johnson blamed for Sunak’s ‘armageddon’ defeat in Tamworth and Mid Bedfordshire

Sir Keir Starmer has cast himself the heir to Blair after a historic Tory by-election drubbing in which he jubilantly declared Labour was “redrawing the political map”.

The Labour leader said that Tory voters were turning to them because they were “fed up with the decline and despairing of the party they used to vote for”.

The Tories are now staring down the barrel of an unprecedented wipeout after suffering defeats in two fiercely contested by-elections, with huge majorities evaporating overnight following a disastrous few years in which the party has seemingly stumbled from one crisis to another.

Starmers remarks came as polling guru John Curtice said Boris Johnson and Liz Truss were largely to blame for the crushing defeat.

Overturning the biggest majority in British by-election history, Labour took Mid Bedfordshire from the Tories for the first time.

While in Tamworth, the party saw the second biggest swing from the Tories to Labour in a by-election in post-war history.

Meanwhile, former chancellor George Osborne warned the record defeats spell “armageddon” for the Conservatives at the general election.

FULL STORY

independent.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JayClay said:

I don't know where this supposed quote has come from but it's not in the linked article, and I have an extremely hard time believing Starmer would say anything of the sort.

I googled it and couldn't find that quote anywhere. Just misleading headlines from The Times and The Independent.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/26/2023 at 9:10 AM, placeholder said:

First you claim that Labour's alleged anti-Semitism will cost it an election and now you're tying it to their popularity. Give it a rest.

It really depends on the region. In Muslim or left wing luvvie areas their anti semitism will serve them well. The UK as a whole, not so much. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They also destabilized the middle east with their illegal war.

The Middle East was already destabilized.

Interestingly, I personally know a number of people who marched in the anti war demonstrations at the time, all are left wingers.

The following provides insight into how the vote in parliament went, there was one notable left wing MP, then a member of the Labour Party who very vociferously campaigned against the war, but you don’t like him so I’ll not mention him by name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_parliamentary_approval_for_the_invasion_of_Iraq#:~:text=Parliament voted on the amended,Parliament's approval of an invasion.

I wonder what were the views back then of people who are now accusing Blair of an illegal war?

Just pondering the question, I have little hope of ever getting a reliable answer.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, nauseus said:

About the same amount of time it took Blair and Brown to ruin the UK.

I'm sure that Starmer & Co. will mismanage to new highs lows.

Whenever Brown's name comes up I remember the 6 BILLION quid he wasted on the NHS which was used for fancy buildings and more managers.

Such a shame. He deserved his dumping in the election. Don't hear much about him now. Perhaps he is hiding from the outraged populace.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

Blair's biggest let down was backing down on PR. We wouldn't be in the mess we are now if he'd managed to get a sensible electorial system in place.

You don't want PR. It's in NZ and I wish it wasn't, as it was why that awful woman was able to win and make my life <deleted>.

I think first past the post is way better.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Whenever Brown's name comes up I remember the 6 BILLION quid he wasted on the NHS which was used for fancy buildings and more managers.

Such a shame. He deserved his dumping in the election. Don't hear much about him now. Perhaps he is hiding from the outraged populace.

Can not remember this, you have a link to the NHS claim?