The Beatles to release emotional 'final song', Now and Then, next week

Social Media

image.png

More than 50 years after The Beatles broke up, the band have announced the release of their "last song".

Called Now And Then, it is based on a 1970s demo recording by John Lennon, and was completed last year by Sir Paul McCartney and Sir Ringo Starr.

Sir Paul teased the song in a BBC interview this summer, saying AI technology had been used to "extricate" Lennon's vocals from an old cassette.

The track will premiere at 14:00 GMT on Thursday, 2 November.

It will also feature on newly-remastered versions of The Beatles' Red and Blue albums, due on 10 November.

Originally released in 1973, the career-spanning compilations have been described by Rolling Stone magazine as "arguably the most influential greatest hits albums in history".

Featuring everything from Love Me Do to The Long And Winding Road, the two volumes are essentially divided between the band's early mop-top days (the Red Album) and their more experimental and expansive late period (the Blue album).

In a press release, the surviving Beatles said completing the song had been a surreal experience.

"There it was, John's voice, crystal clear," said Sir Paul. "It's quite emotional. And we all play on it, it's a genuine Beatles recording. In 2023 to still be working on Beatles music, and about to release a new song the public haven't heard, I think it's an exciting thing."

"It was the closest we'll ever come to having him back in the room so it was very emotional for all of us," added Starr. "It was like John was there, you know. It's far out."

'Rubbish' recording

Now And Then was originally written by John Lennon after the Beatles' split up in 1970, and has circulated as a bootleg for years.

An apologetic love song, it is addressed to an old friend (or lover), to whom Lennon declares: "Now and then, I miss you / Now and then, I want you to return to me".

After Lennon was fatally shot outside his New York apartment building in December 1980, his widow, Yoko Ono, gave the song to Sir Paul.

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png