Staying as a tourist

I am an Australian citizen and resident. My job in Australia allows me to take extended intervals off, and I would like to spend time (say, 60 days) in Thailand twice a year. I would not be doing any work in Thailand.

I am interested in opinions on the merits/disadvantages of:

- visa-waiver and extending it.

- single-entry tourist visa

- multiple entry visa

- any other ideas you have

Thanks.

OP, there are also some herbs and spices you can throw in.

For example enter Thailand visa exempt with a flight ticket to Saigon with in the 30 days. 

Plan your return ticket to Oz to include the mini holiday to Saigon.

When you fly Saigon back to Bangkok you have your return leg to Oz to cover the requirement for onward flight 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, there are also some herbs and spices you can throw in.

For example enter Thailand visa exempt with a flight ticket to Saigon with in the 30 days. 

Plan your return ticket to Oz to include the mini holiday to Saigon.

When you fly Saigon back to Bangkok you have your return leg to Oz to cover the requirement for onward flight 

This is a very good suggestion. Just flew to Phnom Phen for a quick border run. The flights to Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia/Singapore are cheap and easy. I just booked a trip (one way) to Singapore - 1,505THB. Unbelievable. The trips will provide a nice changeup during your stay.

• Thumbs Up 2

OP, the easiest way to do two 60 day stays per year is travel visa exempt for 30 days + 1900 baht for 30 day extension. No need to leave country or get tourist visa

However, you could also apply online to the Sydney Consulate and get a 60 day tourist visa for $60, which is cheaper than the 30 day extension in Thailand (plus you can enjoy your 60 day holiday without having to go to immigration). 

Note that the Sydney Consulate does not require flights or 60 day accommodation proof for tourist visa, whereas Canberra submission requires both

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, farangbuffalo said:

I would disagree with some of the above that visa exempt + extension is the best. Much less hassle to just get a 60 day tourist visa before you come and not have to bother with a trip to immigration while here. Especially since you can do an e-visa now. Cost of the TR visa would also be less than an extension. Though I guess maybe your local consulate might stop issuing them 2x per year after a while

Straya's not on the e-visa system yet mate 😉

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP, the easiest way to do two 60 day stays per year is travel visa exempt for 30 days + 1900 baht for 30 day extension. No need to leave country or get tourist visa

That works for 60 days at a time, but not for 61.  Plus, it can be a PITA to get down to the immigration office to get the extension.  I'd go with the 60 day tourist visa out of the blocks.

It's also possible to do up to 2 land border crossings in a year, so the OP could do an old timey visa run to extend past that 60 days, whether it's by tourist visa or extended visa exempt.

But, thinking outside the OP's box, I'd plan for a cheap excursion by air to another SEA country like Vietnam or Malaysia just to (as DrJack suggests) spice up the experience.  Especially if there's nothing tying the OP to Thailand, like a squeezy thing.  Cheap as the flights and hotels are, a few days (weeks...) of bopping around a strange country are more fun than slogging down to immigration and waiting in a queue.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

If you wanted to stay 90 days could you get the 60 day visa from Australia than do the trip to a different country and get a further 30 days with no issues. Hopefully they'll have the 90 day tourist visa by at some point. Think it was discussed as a possibility. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Haha 2

Easy and legal way:

Apply for a 60 day tourist visa in Oz twice a year and have your visa approved and initially stamped at the Sydney Thai Consulate BEFORE you fly (final entry approval is on the I.O. at Swampy airport (but no worries there otherwise the checks in Oz would deny you at that application point).

You get 60 easy days and back you come to Oz.

Future 60 day periodic tourist visas also no probs (I used to do this many times before emigrating here so I speak from experience). The Thai consulate staff Sydney told me its a good way to visit and continue to do so as its very well managed and super-checked, as opposed to a 'visa on arrival'.

It takes about 6 weeks max.

If you can hand deliver your passport and docs to the consulate in Macquarie Street Sydney, it can be done even faster - sometimes.

You do, have checked, your paperwork at the Consulate and they will check it for you then and there so you can't really make mistakes.

Edited by Tropposurfer
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

Easy and legal way:

Apply for a 60 day tourist visa in Oz twice a year and have your visa approved and initially stamped at the Sydney Thai Consulate BEFORE you fly (final entry approval is on the I.O. at Swampy airport (but no worries there otherwise the checks in Oz would deny you at that application point).

You get 60 easy days and back you come to Oz.

Future 60 day periodic tourist visas also no probs (I used to do this many times before emigrating here so I speak from experience). The Thai consulate staff Sydney told me its a good way to visit and continue to do so as its very well managed and super-checked, as opposed to a 'visa on arrival'.

It takes about 6 weeks max.

If you can hand deliver your passport and docs to the consulate in Macquarie Street Sydney, it can be done even faster - sometimes.

You do, have checked, your paperwork at the Consulate and they will check it for you then and there so you can't really make mistakes.

You are now required to apply online to the Thai Embassy in Oz first.  https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-application-online-2

Agree that getting a SETV would be the easiest/surest thing to do and, unless he decides to extend a single visit beyond 60 days, requiring no involvement with Immigration once in Thailand.

METV probably not suitable for OP as it is valid only 6 months and his 2 trips might be spaced 6 or more months apart.  Also, the financial requirement is much higher.

21 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

However, you could also apply online to the Sydney Consulate and get a 60 day tourist visa for $60, which is cheaper than the 30 day extension in Thailand (plus you can enjoy your 60 day holiday without having to go to immigration). 

Note that the Sydney Consulate does not require flights or 60 day accommodation proof for tourist visa, whereas Canberra submission requires both

How much does it cost to send your passport to the big smoke and how can you be sure that Swift and Shift Couriers will get it there and back in one piece?

Edited by Lemsta69

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

How much does it cost to send your passport to the big smoke and how can you be sure that Swift and Shift Couriers will get it there and back in one piece?

I used express post so guaranteed delivery next business day. Sending there was bigger size as needed to include all application docs. Envelope for return was only passport size. Here's an example of cost

Could contain:

Edited by Pattaya57

12 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I used express post so guaranteed delivery next business day. Sending there was bigger size as needed to include all application docs. Envelope for return was only passport size. Here's an example of cost

Could contain:

That's not too bad at all and I see now that the application is initially done online so you'll save a few cents postage on the first leg. Then head to the pokies and try your luck 😉

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

That's not too bad at all and I see now that the application is initially done online so you'll save a few cents postage on the first leg. Then head to the pokies and try your luck 😉

You apply online whereby Consulate approves it and then sends email asking to submit passport and all applications docs by post. The only advantage is you know it's already  approved before you post it

25 minutes ago, novanova said:

I will stay with a friend of mine who has an apartment near Jomtien.

Please be aware that your Friend is supposed to report you staying there, within 24 hrs. especially important if you are going to immigration for Any reason like an extension. The fine is 2k .  

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

You apply online whereby Consulate approves it and then sends email asking to submit passport and all applications docs by post. The only advantage is you know it's already  approved before you post it

Ah the good old confirmation copy. Thanks for the extra detail, I've never applied for a TR at Sydney despite living there most of my life. 

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Please be aware that your Friend is supposed to report you staying there, within 24 hrs. especially important if you are going to immigration for Any reason like an extension. The fine is 2k .  

I think you'll find a fine of 2k is for lack of 90 day reporting. I understand the fine for no TM30 is 800 baht (but some here say it's 1600 baht). Either way you only have to do a TM30 if requiring an extension and even then you can withdraw your extension application so no fine is given

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I think you'll find a fine of 2k is for lack of 90 day reporting. I understand the fine for no TM30 is 800 baht (but some here say it's 1600 baht). Either way you only have to do a TM30 if requiring an extension and even then you can withdraw your extension application so no fine is given

No it is not I will repeat it, 24 hrs. to report someone at your address the owner is supposed to pay the fine if they don't, but it will be you. 2k fine if not, + 2k for no 90 day reporting. Still up to you what you do. That is why Hotels have to report all 'Falang' who stay with them. Maybe Jack can tell me if I'm wrong? 

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No it is not I will repeat it, 24 hrs. to report someone at your address the owner is supposed to pay the fine if they don't, but it will be you. 2k fine if not, + 2k for no 90 day reporting. Still up to you what you do. That is why Hotels have to report all 'Falang' who stay with them. Maybe Jack can tell me if I'm wrong? 

Hotels need to report ALL foreign guests, not just white people.

As the OP has added information and seems that will be staying in Jomtien and he previously indicated he only requires 60 day stays then SETV would seem to be obvious choice..

His friend would not need to do a TM30 as he would not be having and dealings with immigration for eg extension.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1