Lorry driver dies in tragic Kanchanaburi accident due to brake failure

webfact

Lorry-Accident.jpg

A devastating accident occurred involving a 33 year old lorry driver who lost his life when his 18-wheel truck, loaded with 20 tonnes of utility poles, lost its brakes and crashed on the longstanding slope in Sankhla Buri, Kanchanaburi.

Police officer Thara Nawanich, from Sankhla Buri police station, was alerted to the incident and immediately rushed to the scene with medical staff and volunteers from the Pitakkan Foundation.

The accident took place near a dangerous mountain descent known as Nuern Yaow, approximately 20 kilometres from the heart of Sankhla Buri. The truck, bearing the licence plate 89-7360 from Nakhon Pathom, was scattered with utility poles that had been transported.

The truck was in a state where the back had jumped over the barrier, and the utility poles were scattered across the area. The driver’s cab was crushed by the barrier, resulting in the driver’s death. The removal of the driver’s body was not immediately possible and required a large crane, reported KhaoSod.

by Nattapong Westwood

Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1

Neeray - Perhaps he was driving OK but the brakes failed.

I am reminded of the long steep descent travelling south from Korat to Kabinburi ,after Wang Nam Kiew, which is an excellent road. All the trucks seem to go down at 1-2 mph but there are still accidents.

A fearsome load he was carrying.

No need for a baseless jibe. R.I.P. poor chap . . . .

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

I am reminded of the long steep descent travelling south from Korat to Kabinburi ,after Wang Nam Kiew, which is an excellent road. All the trucks seem to go down at 1-2 mph but there are still accidents.

"Where with all" includes going dead slow, at 1-2 mph down a slope, as you noted. His load was 40,000 pounds, the rig probably weighed 30,000 pounds. That requires "where with all".

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I never understand brake failure... It seem the first time they stop the truck and all the times they had to to stop for roads, traffic lights, restaurants to eat, never a problem, only in an accident there is a brake failure.. Besides that if a car is 5 years old he needs a paper that things are checked on the vehicle... I was last week and a car with a lot of black smoke was approved... so maybe they should start to do a real good check up ...

As I've said many times, I have watched them 'Test" the brakes, first they are tested with no load, and second, they don't check audio buzzers, gauges. The brakes should be pumped without the engine running until the above sounds and gauges checked, then timed to see how long it takes to build up the pressure. Air brakes are fail safe, pressure drops and the come on. 

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

To help you understand, brake failure in Thailand is known elsewhere as driving too fast for the conditions. But drivers who do that in Thailand find it impossible to admit the real reason for an accident - their incompetence - as they would lose face.

Thank you for the explanation, I know, but it is still a very weak excuse, just as something happened that they could not help... Losing face in Thailand is bad, but if the reporters would stop with this kind excuses  it would be much pleasant to read news... so much things are covered up

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Yes if you don't don't change down to a lower gear and use the engine to slow you, its just bad driving, same with automatic cars, should turn of the overdrive. 

They have never heard concerning downshifting.

They are not taught either.

Even an automatic allows you to downshift, but yeh...this is Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

What Fearsome load 20 Tonnes isn't a Fearsome load.

I've seen overloaded Semi trucks and B Doubles  with 30 /40 Tonnes coming down the Big Range in NQLD in Aus. 

Before they go down the Range the Heavy loaded trucks check /adjust their brakes.

Most off the times they come down the Range at Night.