BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

40 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Okay, so had a little look at how to change what is displayed on the centre of the instrument cluster, mine was stuck reverting back to tyre pressure.

So :

Press here:

IMG_2063.thumb.jpeg.108c566ed6f47196449eaef487a04ae0.jpeg

and the view will change to this:

IMG_2068.thumb.jpeg.3afece90956f5122e761a5e217d524b5.jpeg

using the left and right arrows you can scroll across the small icons displayed.

IMG_2064.jpeg.3d36dedcc9fde0e8e4afbdeab4bee096.jpeg

some icons will display only one image, others have more, using the scroll wheel

IMG_2065.jpeg.b778eb044df53573a05643a55d9c94a8.jpeg

you can scroll through the options on each small icon.

Finding the option you wish to add as as default on the instrument cluster a short press on the scroll wheel saves it

Note: a long press will set any settings back to zero.

The scroll wheel on the steering wheel is referred to as the “ OK “ button.

What this “OK” means on the instrument cluster i don’t know, unless it is just to say “ no problem found “ ?

IMG_2069.thumb.jpeg.1130fadbc8c8cb3997862b724018764f.jpeg

I think I must have tried that, plus lots of other combinations of presses, clicks and scrolls.

But now I've got your definite method, I'll give it a go.

Thank you!

Edited by macahoom
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

What's your initial thoughts on the window film Andrew ?

Initially very good, but need a good run out to test in sunshine and nighttime, probably have a run somewhere this weekend and on Monday will take the car for a blast on the number 9 Highway ( going for the rear view mirror camera fitting ).

Couldn’t fault them on the fitting quality or responsibility though.

Going back next week for the logo removal, usually do it myself with a rag and alcohol .

IMG_2071.jpeg.2a4b907066d0f7d5bdf2547c292b18e2.jpeg

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Initially very good, but need a good run out to test in sunshine and nighttime, probably have a run somewhere this weekend and on Monday will take the car for a blast on the number 9 Highway ( going for the rear view mirror camera fitting ).

Couldn’t fault them on the fitting quality or responsibility though.

Going back next week for the logo removal, usually do it myself with a rag and alcohol .

IMG_2071.jpeg.2a4b907066d0f7d5bdf2547c292b18e2.jpeg

Good to hear.  I ended up going with Solar Gard BPH 40% front, 60% all around & 80% roof.  I'm a bit concerned the roof may be a bit too dark, but let's see when I get the car!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Melpomene said:

Good to hear.  I ended up going with Solar Gard BPH 40% front, 60% all around & 80% roof.  I'm a bit concerned the roof may be a bit too dark, but let's see when I get the car!

I hear ya, I put Truevue 5 on the roof which is 80% but specific for pano roofs, and 40 and 60 BPH like yourself elsewhere.

IMG_2090.jpeg.bf7374f45c21fff2bcb20ac60ea87703.jpeg

It is certainly darker than before but I don’t think it is too dark. Driver and front passenger don’t notice the glass roof that much, rear passengers get the full effect ( my two teenagers aren’t awake long enough to notice ….. or care ! ).

Give it a month or two and see if you find yourself looking up at the sky/stars , I’m guessing it will go the way of the sunroof, once friends and family had seen the sky through it it was forgotten.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding the procedure when charging at home using either a granny charger or a 7.4kW wall box, this is something that I noticed in the manual and I would like comments from people who know about stuff like this. I guess this is one for you, JBChiangrai:

Are you happy with the plugging in/disconnecting sequence with both Granny and wallbox as described below? You’ll notice I have inserted two questions in the CHARGING USING A 7.4kW WALLBOX section.

A) GRANNY CHARGING:
To start the charging:
1. Insert the EV Mode 2 Charging Cable power plug into a household socket. 
2. Connect to the vehicle port by inserting the charging connector into the vehicle socket. 
To end the charging:
1. Disconnect the charging connector from the vehicle socket.
2. Disconnect the power plug from the household socket. 

B) CHARGING USING A 7.4kWh WALLBOX:
To start the charging:
1. Plug the charging connector into the vehicle socket.
Should the breaker beside the wallbox be on or off before plugging into the car? 
To end the charging:
Should the breaker be on or off before disconnecting the charging connector?

Thank you.

Edited by macahoom

40 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Regarding the procedure when charging at home using either a granny charger or a 7.4kW wall box, this is something that I noticed in the manual and I would like comments from people who know about stuff like this. I guess this is one for you, JBChiangrai:

Are you happy with the plugging in/disconnecting sequence with both Granny and wallbox as described below? You’ll notice I have inserted two questions in the CHARGING USING A 7.4kW WALLBOX section.

A) GRANNY CHARGING:
To start the charging:
2. Connect to the vehicle port by inserting the charging connector into the vehicle socket. 
To end the charging:
2. Disconnect the power plug from the household socket. 

B) CHARGING USING A 7.4kWh WALLBOX:
To start the charging:
1. Plug the charging connector into the vehicle socket.
Should the breaker beside the wallbox be on or off before plugging into the car? 
To end the charging:
Should the breaker be on or off before disconnecting the charging connector?

Thank you.

Generally, the car deciding to stop charging is preferable to any other method, shutting off a breaker will make the car see and record an error.

There is no power on the plug until after it has been inserted to the car socket and the handshake between car & charger completed. One of the pins is a proximity connection, it tells the car and the wall box or granny charger to give a handshake.  The Charger tells the car the maximum current it is capable of delivering (this can be the current you have set if your charger has selectable current) and the car then controls the process.  The handshake is entirely analogue to avoid interference with digital signals.  The wall box/granny charger can shutdown the charging, this is considered to be an error condition by the car.  Some clever wall boxes have a temperature sensor on the plug that goes into the car and will shutdown the charging if the temperature gets too high.  Some cars also have a temperature sensor and will slow down the charging if the temperature of the socket gets too high.

You can plug your granny charger into the mains after plugging it into the car, same with turning on the breaker after you have plugged the wall box charger into the car.  If you do it this way the handshake will begin when power is at the charger, you could for example have a timer to start the charging, but you shouldn't use a timer to stop the charging unless you know the car will definitely be fully charged.  If the power is cut during charging, it shouldn't restart on its own, the international standard requires the car to be unplugged and plugged in again if an error condition occurs.

My wall charger is permanently connected, I never bother to shut off the breaker.

Always tell the car to stop charging rather than unplug your granny charger or shut off the breaker.  It will avoid contact damage on the mains plug of your granny charger and let's the car record a successful end to the charging process.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Always tell the car to stop charging rather than unplug your granny charger or shut off the breaker.  It will avoid contact damage on the mains plug of your granny charger and lets the car record a successful end to the charging process.

I don’t see any way to tell the car to stop charging with granny charger , unless I am missing something ?

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I don’t see any way to tell the car to stop charging with granny charger , unless I am missing something ?

Unlock the car - in some cars, you can hit the central unlocking button in the car, or unlock the car with the remote (works on all cars)

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, I have to unlock it to pull the charger out, but does that stop it charging ?

Yes, you can’t remove the plug until charging is stopped and the car releases the interlock.

If you can pull the plug out, and charging has already stopped, unless there is a fault, for example, the recall on the  ORA good cat

20 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes, you can’t remove the plug until charging is stopped and the car releases the interlock.

If you can pull the plug out, and charging has already stopped, unless there is a fault, for example, the recall on the  ORA good cat

Okay, so I think unlocking the car only stops it momentarily ( maybe 30 seconds ). If no action is taken then the car locks again and charging starts again.

If you open the car , sit inside and start the engine for example then it also starts to charge again after a similar 30 seconds . Not 100 % sure about this but it appeared this way when i started the car to see if any option for stopping granny charging inside appeared.

So it appears the car needs to be unlocked to remove the charger and the action of unlocking stops charging ( didn’t realise this was happening on my granny charging sessions).

Obviously using a wall charger or DC charger you can stop the charging session at the info screen.

10 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have joined the ranks of the Seal owners. Just ordered a 3.8s in white. Arrives on the 18th, hopefully.

yesterday, i had the opportunity to take a closer look at the ora 07 performance.

inside and outside, the quality and materials are quite good. but the byd seal feels

more luxurious. there wouldn't be much for me to consider regarding which car i prefer,

it would be the byd seal any time ...

in my opinion, the ora 07 is also more like a lady's car ....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, JBChiangRai said:

Generally, the car deciding to stop charging is preferable to any other method, shutting off a breaker will make the car see and record an error.

There is no power on the plug until after it has been inserted to the car socket and the handshake between car & charger completed. One of the pins is a proximity connection, it tells the car and the wall box or granny charger to give a handshake.  The Charger tells the car the maximum current it is capable of delivering (this can be the current you have set if your charger has selectable current) and the car then controls the process.  The handshake is entirely analogue to avoid interference with digital signals.  The wall box/granny charger can shutdown the charging, this is considered to be an error condition by the car.  Some clever wall boxes have a temperature sensor on the plug that goes into the car and will shutdown the charging if the temperature gets too high.  Some cars also have a temperature sensor and will slow down the charging if the temperature of the socket gets too high.

You can plug your granny charger into the mains after plugging it into the car, same with turning on the breaker after you have plugged the wall box charger into the car.  If you do it this way the handshake will begin when power is at the charger, you could for example have a timer to start the charging, but you shouldn't use a timer to stop the charging unless you know the car will definitely be fully charged.  If the power is cut during charging, it shouldn't restart on its own, the international standard requires the car to be unplugged and plugged in again if an error condition occurs.

My wall charger is permanently connected, I never bother to shut off the breaker.

Always tell the car to stop charging rather than unplug your granny charger or shut off the breaker.  It will avoid contact damage on the mains plug of your granny charger and let's the car record a successful end to the charging process.

Thanks for this; really appreciated. I now believe I understand the why’s and wherefores which make it all logical and therefore easy to do.

Just to be 100% sure, is this all okay?

A) GRANNY CHARGING:

To start the charging:

To end the charging:
1. Make the car terminate charging.
2. Disconnect the charging connector from the vehicle socket.
3. Disconnect the plug from the household socket. 

B) CHARGING USING A 7.4KW WALL BOX:

To start the charging:
1. With the breaker on, plug the charging connector into the vehicle socket.

To end the charging:
3. Shut off the breaker.

Edited by macahoom
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Thanks for this; really appreciated. I now believe I understand the why’s and wherefores which make it all logical and therefore easy to do.

Just to be 100% sure, is this all okay?

A) GRANNY CHARGING:

To start the charging:

To end the charging:
3. Disconnect the plug from the household socket. 

B) CHARGING USING A 7.4KW WALL BOX:

To start the charging:
1. With the breaker on, plug the charging connector into the vehicle socket.

To end the charging:
3. Shut off the breaker.

perfect

• Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

So, have just had the Sinjet rear/front camera and mirror combo installed and so far am very happy.

A very respectful and competent installation by a couple of Sinjet installation techs. As currently they only fit to the BYD Seal they did the task effortlessly and took 1 hour.

2 years guarantee.

Free 64gb micro sd card.

The front camera and replacement mirror.

IMG_2139.thumb.jpeg.99d50f627d24872f57e539e031a6a701.jpeg

Rear camera ( can be fit inside also ):

IMG_2140.thumb.jpeg.8526c2e8de00953afaeeae28e3822db6.jpeg

regular mirror view ( led mirror switched off ):

IMG_2143.thumb.jpeg.3e565cedfabe348cc80d5ad6dfc87b30.jpeg

switched on:

IMG_2146.thumb.jpeg.ed73eb1973506552958e2b26652aba3e.jpeg

snapshot from rear camera:

IMG_2150.thumb.jpeg.6db3fff1b4e78c624ddf5bc5abdbdb23.jpeg

snapshot from front camera:

IMG_2149.thumb.jpeg.95335a18b168057cc97ff5c2d5c97c7c.jpeg

I had already bought the BYD dash camera but saw on a FB post that the Sinjet camera combo and BYD dash can be installed together so thought “ what the heck “ and asked the guys to fit it also.

IMG_2148.thumb.jpeg.3cde57dbc7f31bdbce7f28f8fca5b593.jpeg

IMG_2151.thumb.jpeg.0cd455306b62a1b266c3b139b7753d7b.jpeg

“ to be sure, to be sure “ Reg Dwyer ® 

Obviously i need to check the resolution is as good as stated and at night time number plates are legible. So in a couple of days i hope to be able to check the Sinjet and BYD videos against each other for resolution and post on here a sample of both.

Obvious advantages are that there’s up to 24 hours time lapse videos ( 1 frame per second ), the rear view is optimised and the mirror can be turned to face the driver for optimal viewing (although i found it a little distracting initially).

The feeds come directly from auto wiper ( front ) and license plate lights ( rear camera ).

I also learned that Sinjet have an office in Chiang Rai so if anyone up north is interested @JBChiangRai

Yes I am very interested, I can't find anything on the web, can I have contact details and I will ask them where it is?

I am now next in the queue for my Seal, hopefully next week, though I am away in Vietnam all next week.

• Love It 1

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Yes I am very interested, I can't find anything on the web, can I have contact details and I will ask them where it is?

I am now next in the queue for my Seal, hopefully next week, though I am away in Vietnam all next week.

I found them via Facebook and then communicated via iMessage .

He has sent me a contact number for Chiang Rai, will send it to you by PM.

The Seal was only launched in the UK two or three weeks ago and already they’ve updated the software in the UK cars.

Some of the improvements: The steering weight has been changed; also the sensitivity of the parking sensors; they’ve made the warning tones sound less aggressive and dialled back the crazy, wrist-breaking steering wheel jerking when using the lane keep assist.

Improvements in the lane keeping assist would be very welcome. Mine is unusable, even dangerous.

I’ve still got the Fred Flintstone software and no sign of any update yet.

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I visited my dealer a couple of weeks ago and asked about the update they said I was the first to ask and would get back to me.

My version is even older than yours and my dealership told me I had to wait until I get a little red alert on my screen. When I get the alert, I then take the car to the dealership and they will update for me.

I have my doubts about this.

I'm sure all will be revealed in due course. The question is, when?

• Like 2