BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

I hooked the Seal up to my new ABB wall box today. It immediately started charging when I connected the car. No app involvement required. 

There is an RFID card that comes with the wall box. That was not needed either.

Are you able to connect the app via your WiFi to the charger?

I had it connected and it responded for a few days, but now has quit to recognize any of my routers, even though it shows WiFi is set up......... frustrating!

Bluetooth works fine, but that means I have to get up form my air-conditioned office to manipulate he charger........what an inconvenience!  :crying:

• Sad 1

Ice Cream Truck 🚐 or Spooky Forest 👻 available and definitely no updates.

I have chosen spooky forest as I don’t want small children to come running when they hear the ice cream truck coming round the corner.

But there is hope….

IMG_2754.thumb.jpeg.b5214fbd144708538a76bd456ef00e1b.jpeg

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Are you able to connect the app via your WiFi to the charger?

I had it connected and it responded for a few days, but now has quit to recognize any of my routers, even though it shows WiFi is set up......... frustrating!

Bluetooth works fine, but that means I have to get up form my air-conditioned office to manipulate he charger........what an inconvenience!  :crying:

Until I'm convinced it's advantageous to use the app to charge my car at home, I prefer not to bother.

If I need to see what's going on with the car when charging, I just need to go downstairs to the garage.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

I have chosen spooky forest as I don’t want small children to come running when they hear the ice cream truck coming round the corner.

But there is hope….

I popped into BYD Buriram and showed them this post. Apparently I am the first to ask for this update. They said they would talk to  Rama 2 on Nut to find out how to do it

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

But there is hope….

Yes, good news that the AVAS ( Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System ) will have the option to be switched off.

Wondering if European and Australian Seals will follow suit, I’m thinking not .

Commonly known as PWS ( Pedestrian Warning System ) elsewhere.

Personally I think it is strange why full EV’s are subject to this ruling, my HEV is also silent running at times and, let’s face it, how much noise does an ICE car make when driving round a car park below 30 kph ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, good news that the AVAS ( Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System ) will have the option to be switched off.

Wondering if European and Australian Seals will follow suit, I’m thinking not .

Commonly known as PWS ( Pedestrian Warning System ) elsewhere.

Personally I think it is strange why full EV’s are subject to this ruling, my HEV is also silent running at times and, let’s face it, how much noise does an ICE car make when driving round a car park below 30 kph ?

There are three different sounds: The ice cream truck and two different versions of wind whistling through a haunted house. Here's the strange thing. There's very little difference between the two scary wind sounds; they both sound very similar. I don't see the point of having both of them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Could it be because it's a sports saloon and not an SUV?

According to Top Gear  

it’s probably the one to have given the Seal isn’t billing itself as a performance car in the first place,

• Confused 1

Apparently the Seal is equipped with an electrochromic panoramic glass roof.

This means it can change it's tint dynamically by applying an electric current, perhaps buried in the infotainment system is a setting or maybe it lightens when you turn on the headlights?

• Thanks 1

Here’s a link to an electric sunshade for the BYD Seal( 16,900 baht ), looks okay but I feel it has cut down the surface area of the glass roof somewhat .

📸 Watch this video on Facebook https://fb.watch/ouKz9_Ueqe/?mibextid=HSR2mg

Still think some film can cut down the heat while retaining the beauty of the glass roof.

Edited by Andrew Dwyer
  • Thanks 1

Now this got my attention :

📸 Watch this video on Facebook https://m.facebook.com/groups/844499835639464/permalink/6808456035910451/?mibextid=HSR2mg

If I understood this correctly:

It plugs into the existing cable used for BYD dash cam.

It can remain monitoring for up to 24 hours.

Can put the view from the rear view dash camera on the rear view mirror ( much clearer without passengers or head rests in the way )

Also has forward facing camera,  where this is located I do not know, maybe built into the rear view mirror body.

Many questions, price/resolution/availability etc, but looks ideal to me ( as someone who’s OCD about neatness and trailing cables etc ) , especially the rear view .

One to watch out for !!

This link, hopefully, gives more info.

📸 Look at this post on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/share/1Wt1uEGFFRkrL62q/?mibextid=K8Wfd2

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Apparently the Seal is equipped with an electrochromic panoramic glass roof.

This means it can change it's tint dynamically by applying an electric current, perhaps buried in the infotainment system is a setting or maybe it lightens when you turn on the headlights?

The top line model in China has this feature, I have not heard anybody outside China testing the Seal mentioning this feature. It clearly is not on cars destined for Thailand, quite a shame.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

The top line model in China has this feature, I have not heard anybody outside China testing the Seal mentioning this feature. It clearly is not on cars destined for Thailand, quite a shame.

If you are right, which I think you are, it really is a shame.

Of all countries to not include it in!

• Agree 1

The latest fad on Seal sold here is to change the rear suspension springs, presumably to make it stiffer, at a cost of 4800 baht.

Was also popular on Atto 3 to change springs and shocks, for around 30k.

Anyone here feel the necessity for this or is it a “ monkey see, monkey do” situation ?

2 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The latest fad on Seal sold here is to change the rear suspension springs, presumably to make it stiffer, at a cost of 4800 baht.

Anyone here feel the necessity for this or is it a “ monkey see, monkey do” situation ?

Monkey see, Monkey do … definitely, with apologies to the slur on apes 

35 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

The AWD model has some fancy active suspension. The RWD's are passive.

• Like 1

I want to talk about paint. I’d like to compare the paint on my MG HS PHEV and my BYD Seal.

The MG has a hard clear top coat which got badly scratched by our puppies. I used Turtle One & Done which is a ceramic polish/paint restoration produce, which I applied and buffed with polish pad on a battery powered polisher. 

Before:

After:

Within 500km of driving my BYD Seal I got a stone chip. There doesn’t seem to be any clear coat, but what looks like a colored vinyl wrap instead of paint. Normally I would expect to see a white color undercoat, but it’s black.

I don’t see anyway to repair scratches and stone chips on my seal. I am seriously considering paint protection film.

These videos are unlisted on my channel 

Thoughts?

• Thanks 1